Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DWC, Roots have brown filament leaves are discoloring and mostly turned downwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWC, Roots have brown filament leaves are discoloring and mostly turned downwards

Hi,
    Any guesses on what is happening here? After adding hydrogaurd I did not realize my Ph jumped up for 3 days because of work travel, but for last 3 days or since Friday night the Ph has been about a 5.5-5.8. Roots are healthy and have hit water in my DWC taking off more and more coming out somewhat fast it seems, but there is a brown filament now from nutes building up on roots and wipes right off, but is also on bottom of net cups as well, is that brown algae and/or root rot starting? Added more nutes thinking it is nute deficiency... before there wasn’t much brown stuff on roots but now there is more. I am at full strength at seedling level for general organics bio thrive grow, bio root, CaMa, bio weed, and hydro guard. Ppm is around 650 after last nights add, not seeing signs of nute burn.? No water temp yet water is almost cold to touch and I have a water heater set to 68 in reservoir. Grow room temp has been around 73-77 (+/- a degree or two here and there) during the daytime and around 68 at night time. Humidity has been no lower than 40% but mostly around 55%. First hydro grow and last grow was in soil about 18 yrs ago. I’m a scatter brain and it’s probably nitrogen toxicity by adding nutes way too soon. Any help is appreciated. I read contradictory things, but thinking my nutes should be around 400ppm or less at this point, which they were about 450ppm before last nights add. Rockwool cubes are dry now but that’s okay because I want them to feed from the DWC 100%.? LED parfactworks 1500w Cree cob leds. Hung around 39 inches from seedlings and is at 100% power. I seem to have good air circulation because I can make my tent a black hole but I do not. 3 small clip fans hung and in position to circulate air together.
    Thanks Sampson.

How much oxygen is getting to the roots?
    Ask questions, take notes, and check your pH regularly. 😌

2 x 2 x 4 Tent
    300W full-spectrum light

MiracleGro soil (0.06 - 0.02 - 0.02)
    Humboldts Secret Calmag & Iron (2-0-0)
    FlowerFuel (0-34-32)

Comment

The water level is an inch below the net cups and there are plenty of bubbles in reservoir.

Comment

Wait...is bio thrive ok to use for dwc/rdwc? There is no feed chart for those on the GH website and if im not mistaken it is an organic nutrient line, which im not sure is ideal for hydroponics. i think it would work in coco but im not sure if it was supposed to be used for dwc. I could be wrong but thats why i stay away from organic nutes for my hydro as bacteria tends to be a problem. I could be wrong to be fair.

This is the only feedchart for that line of nutes.
        https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Feedchart...W_021616bm.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Tersky View Post
          Wait...is bio thrive ok to use for dwc/rdwc?
          https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Feedchart...W_021616bm.pdf
          This may be the issue.
          Hydro systems usually don't like organic matter in the mix-promotes too many nasty visitors.
          Salt-based nutes are much easier to manage.

WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

The cotyledons don't look to be yellowing, so it's probably not nutrients. I'm not sure if it's root rot starting or not, but I found that for a non-recirculating DWC system at least, adding an aerated worm casting tea worked well for me with stopping and preventing root rot. I use about a litre every 1-2 weeks per 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

If it was my grow I would change out nutrient solution in the reservoir and use 2 ml. Botanicare Hydroguard in every gallon of nutrients this method has cleared up early root rot for me on 1 plant in second grow and 2 in my third grow that I just harvested.

Comment

These are my roots from several diff grows, the brown I think you are seeing is just the nutrients staining. Are you top feeding and watering while your roots grow, from your picture I think I would still be top feeding a weak solution, They are getting close, but I like to see a few more roots in the water. The picture I have attached is about what I'm looking for. At that point I start the veg nutrients and brown them up.
                Your plant does look stressed, but the roots look fine to me (From picture). If you are currently top feeding then I would definitely look at your feeding ratio's,
                I use full recommended strength Hydroguard. This year I experimented with using Vodoo Juice, with no noticeable difference between the two.
                Biggest issue is keeping things from growing (I'm guilty of not doing it) but something blocking light around the stems helps.
                Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 07-01-2020, 08:24 PM.
                Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                A tale of two seeds
                Batter Up Sour Deisel
                Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X