Plant First Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant First Aid

I've seen some notes here and there on using tape to repair stems that snap under too much training. I figured I'd share a method that works for me. I keep a candle in the grow room and drip a little wax onto the wound while I hold it closed. It's usually pretty easy because most training involves bending down, so the cracks open on top. But even a wound on the bottom can be repaired by dripping onto your finger and dabbing it on that way. Also, I don't have to worry about a wrap of tape that strangles as the stem grows--after the wound heals the wax cracks off when the stem grows.

That’s genius. Thank you for sharing

Comment

Very cool idea. Does the wax provide enough strength to hold it up under weight of leaves and new growth? I imagine it really helps seal that wound up much better than tape. Thanks so much for the tip.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably it would be smart to tape over too to give more support, but the benefit of wax is closing the wound stops bacteria and fungi from attacking plants. And air can’t go in either moisture go out. Basically an hermetic seal. I would tape first to hold the branch into place and encapsulate the wound

I think I saw this method in a book that had a photographic how-to about grafting. It has been strong enough for me so far. If I'm stressing a plant I do it carefully, so I stop at the first sound of a snap. But I have used a lot more wax and formed it all around like a cast for badder breaks. Usually if I just snapped a stem, I'll probably continue to be clumsy trying to wrap tape around. I find the wax seems gentler.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        even on well done supercrop, the underside tends to rip apart so its almost always an open wound

I just snapped 1/8 of this plant. This stem was hanging from a bit of skin on the bottom. I'll report back whether it heals.

Comment

• Professor
        Professor commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't work. Pruned and cut a fresh 1/8" to give her a second chance as a clone.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X