First grow pot size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow pot size

This is my first grow and I am looking for some help. I have 2 autos going (1 Auto Amnesia and 1 Auto Northern Lights. Purchased seeds from Seed City) that are about 2 weeks since germinating. I currently have them both in 1 gallon smart pots on my deck. I am growing outside and would like to try to keep the plants somewhat small and mixed in with other plants nearby to hide them. My question is can I complete my entire grow in these 1 gallon pots or do I need to transfer to at least a 2 gallon pot?And if I move to a 2 gallon pot about what height should I expect the plants to grow? Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gman420; 06-23-2020, 11:20 PM.

I’m not a pro by any means and honestly I’m just starting so I have no experience with autos, but… you want 2 gallons per 1 foot plant. Depending on the strain, autos seem to grow to around 100 cm (little over 3 feet). So in theory you can control the size of the plant based on your pot size, but I personally would not recommend anything less than a 3 gallon pot as you will most likely run into root problems. Also, smaller plant usually = smaller yield.

Anyways, Im still learning and I don’t have any hands on learning. But that’s the theory I’ve learned and intend to implement on my current grow. (Just ordered autos so will be here in a month! EEK!!)

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input. I am going to get a bigger pot.

Use a 3 gal. pot, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	420771 top em and tie em down

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      My goal is to have plants that look that nice. Well done.

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I am going to get a bigger pot. That's a nice plant, I hope mine turn out like that.

As long as you manicure them (as PRIMO mentioned) a 3 gal pot would work for a small grow. I personally prefer 5 gallons per plant but I do indoor hydro and don't have to be discreet. Best of luck with your crop!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. I am going to switch them to a bigger pot.

It can be done but 3gal is the standard. Lots more attention needed in small containers but it has been done.

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input. Based off what everybody is saying I am going to switch them to a bigger pot.

1 gallon is fine - it will stay low - I use 2 gallon
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have a gallon I may switch 1 of the plants into and I will probably grab a 3 gallon for the other as that seems to be what everybody is recommending.

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Most autoflowers don't like transplant.

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I wouldn't have known. I guess maybe I should just stick with what I have and hope for the best then next time go with a bigger pot from the start.

Yes it's especially bad when those 1gal. fabric pots have over grown plants in them, i won't use them with photo period i'll use 1gal plastic when i know i'm going to have to pot up. Good luck to you

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed x10 lol. I hate re potting from a smart pot!! Sure it can be done but the effort & energy expended & stress of tryin not to rip the plant free of its roots..... I'll NEVER use a smart pot again except when it's the final stop.

After reading through the responses I decided to move them to a bigger pot.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Good move

For my 1st auto grow I have 4 in 3 gal plastic buckets & planters- just starting to flower, 2 in 3gal fabric, 2 in 1gal fabric & 1 in a 7.5 gal plastic- seedlings. I'll know what I like to use in about 100 days 👍

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds really good to me JDU hellish hot and humid eh?? Watering everything except weed every other day. I been spraying for aphids in my garden nothing on the MJ yet that i can tell, seen some white moth very small but nothing eating them yet.....

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be a big harvest from 9 plants. Interested in the results for sure..

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X