First grow pot size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow pot size

This is my first grow and I am looking for some help. I have 2 autos going (1 Auto Amnesia and 1 Auto Northern Lights. Purchased seeds from Seed City) that are about 2 weeks since germinating. I currently have them both in 1 gallon smart pots on my deck. I am growing outside and would like to try to keep the plants somewhat small and mixed in with other plants nearby to hide them. My question is can I complete my entire grow in these 1 gallon pots or do I need to transfer to at least a 2 gallon pot?And if I move to a 2 gallon pot about what height should I expect the plants to grow? Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gman420; 06-23-2020, 11:20 PM.

I’m not a pro by any means and honestly I’m just starting so I have no experience with autos, but… you want 2 gallons per 1 foot plant. Depending on the strain, autos seem to grow to around 100 cm (little over 3 feet). So in theory you can control the size of the plant based on your pot size, but I personally would not recommend anything less than a 3 gallon pot as you will most likely run into root problems. Also, smaller plant usually = smaller yield.

Anyways, Im still learning and I don’t have any hands on learning. But that’s the theory I’ve learned and intend to implement on my current grow. (Just ordered autos so will be here in a month! EEK!!)

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input. I am going to get a bigger pot.

Use a 3 gal. pot, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	420771 top em and tie em down

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      My goal is to have plants that look that nice. Well done.

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I am going to get a bigger pot. That's a nice plant, I hope mine turn out like that.

As long as you manicure them (as PRIMO mentioned) a 3 gal pot would work for a small grow. I personally prefer 5 gallons per plant but I do indoor hydro and don't have to be discreet. Best of luck with your crop!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. I am going to switch them to a bigger pot.

It can be done but 3gal is the standard. Lots more attention needed in small containers but it has been done.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input. Based off what everybody is saying I am going to switch them to a bigger pot.

1 gallon is fine - it will stay low - I use 2 gallon
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have a gallon I may switch 1 of the plants into and I will probably grab a 3 gallon for the other as that seems to be what everybody is recommending.

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Most autoflowers don't like transplant.

• gman420
      gman420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I wouldn't have known. I guess maybe I should just stick with what I have and hope for the best then next time go with a bigger pot from the start.

Yes it's especially bad when those 1gal. fabric pots have over grown plants in them, i won't use them with photo period i'll use 1gal plastic when i know i'm going to have to pot up. Good luck to you
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed x10 lol. I hate re potting from a smart pot!! Sure it can be done but the effort & energy expended & stress of tryin not to rip the plant free of its roots..... I'll NEVER use a smart pot again except when it's the final stop.

After reading through the responses I decided to move them to a bigger pot.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Good move

For my 1st auto grow I have 4 in 3 gal plastic buckets & planters- just starting to flower, 2 in 3gal fabric, 2 in 1gal fabric & 1 in a 7.5 gal plastic- seedlings. I'll know what I like to use in about 100 days 👍

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds really good to me JDU hellish hot and humid eh?? Watering everything except weed every other day. I been spraying for aphids in my garden nothing on the MJ yet that i can tell, seen some white moth very small but nothing eating them yet.....

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be a big harvest from 9 plants. Interested in the results for sure..

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X