Salvageable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvageable?

Background: First grow. Using bag seeds. Planted 06/13 Used jiffy pods in non-nute soil. Hung a single CFL from 48” grow tent ceiling. Seedlings sprouted after 3 days but started stretching considerably. Moved CFL to ~1ft from seedling then moved to roughly 10” from tent floor. The first two seeds to sprout (right and left) limped over on 06/19-20. I’m assuming the stem could not hold up the weight of the leaves due to so much stretch. 06/21 went from one CFL to 3 CFLs (60W each), kept at same height, and planted two more seeds thinking I’m gonna lose at least two of these. Today (06/22) the third seedling limped over, however all seedling leaves are facing “up” and the right seedling has shown growth in her starter leaves.

My question is if these are salvageable for a new grower or am I dealing with false optimism? Also, I would like to know if I can get these to survive to a transplant (~week from now) can I plant these deeper to “shorten” the exposed stem length? Lastly, how can I avoid this stretch right out the gate and when should I switch to full powered grow lights? Thanks for your time and any advice that you can provide!

Don't transplant, yet. Your lights are way too far. Completely salvageable with light correction.

This is right up your alley...

CFLs are available everywhere... giving you a cheap & stealthy way to start growing weed in a cupboard, computer case, or small closet. Learn how...

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

haha, GB you beat me to it.
      Hi dalvis,
      Don't give up on them just yet. If you have to, gently prop them up with some soft wire or even a paperclip until they can stand on their own. Keep those cfl's close to start. Yes, you can transplant them deeper into their new pots when the time is right and it won't hurt them a bit. I have done that several times. In fact they develop roots from the buried part of the stem.
      To avoid the stretch keep the cfl's very low over the seedlings to begin with.
      GL on the grow.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Tied them to stand up (still a little droopy but we will see. Also put the lights right on top of them (few inches clearance). Will see how they recover.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't over water worst thing. Lift the cup if it's dried out water.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X