Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture quality for trichomes

Hi all,

My first grow isn't finished yet, but I am preparing myself for harvest time. I used a magnifying glass and my smartphone camera to shoot some of the buds.
    Will this picture quality be enough to look at the trichomes and choose when to harvest?
    Are these trichomes still all "clear" or are they already "cloudy"?

Thanks!

magnifying glass and my smartphone camera ' - you done way better than me!
    I lost the plot and went and bought a 30x Loup'e(glass) for $5.00 with a led light too
    I'm sure you 'll be glad you did too
    other advances in loup'es you can define sex easier, checks cracked seeds, check pollination,

heaps of uses go get one

or just uses the receding pistols as a guide

good luck

Comment

Not bad shots but from what i see they are about 50/50 possible to have a good 3wks but do check and post in another week i could see them OK but a 60x loupe is one i have they are cheap. < that's me with needing progressive lens and a loupe
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Great resolution that will make your decision a piece of cake. I'd like to see some shots when they turn amber. Did you use a tripod of some sort
        to stabilize the smartphone?

Comment

No, I didn't use any tripod. Attached a picture of the loupe. I actually taped it to the back of the phone so it would be easier, then I used the 4x zoom of the camera. But a tripod would have been nice because I was shaking a lot
          I'll definitely share new pictures because I will need your help to decide as I have never done it!
          See below also some pictures of the top buds from my two plants (third one is still way behind). Pistils have only started to turn brown on one of them, so I definitely need to wait.
          My goal would be to have one plant with only cloudy trichomes, and the other one with some amber ones. I feel I've only ever had experience with weed that has the "couch lock" effect, so I'd like to see if I can really feel the difference between both.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            I have one just like that and one with a little LED but i like the one in pic more.

I'd say let them go a bit longer and look for the cloudiness to turn an amber color in about half the trichs and you should have some nice bud.
          I used a loupe with my camera phone to make my profile image.

Here's a sample using the loupe with my "good" camera (Canon T2i):
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Magnifier.png Views:	0 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	420360
          Last edited by ellz; 06-23-2020, 02:35 AM.
          Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
          Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

Nice pic! I'll try to do it with a real camera (Panasonic GX80) on a tripod and holding the loupe in the hand, will be tricky!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Cloudy will get you what type of more " active " high a few amber won't hurt it's the over 30% amber that does the more sedative high. My 2cents any hoo

• Philou38
              Philou38 commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay cool! Thanks for the advice, I really have no clue.
              My only experience with weed has been years of sketchy weed from the street in France. So no idea how the trichomes looked at harvest
              An other question: how do you guys smoke your weed? In France we usually always roll joints with weed+tobacco. But I really want to avoid tobacco as I don't smoke any (never have actually, except with weed). Wouldn't it be too strong to smoke it pure?

• ellz
              ellz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it took me a few tries to get it clearly in focus. One trick is to use burst mode to try to capture a lot of shots quickly. That way one will likely be in focus.

Alright guys here is an update and I need your help!
            Attached some pictures. On the pictures of the small leaves shooting out of the bud I can see some amber trichomes, but on the bud itself I can't see any amber. Are most of them cloudy?
            Should I go for it?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              All that matters are buds trichs

• Philou38
              Philou38 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok Thanks! So according to my pics of the bud trichomes, how long should I wait approximately? Haven't mentioned it in this thread but they are Auto Northern Lights.

Download "cosy magnifier and microscope" app on your smartphone it's free and works great
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
              Bowhunterwoody commented
              Editing a comment
              I've used that app. Works pretty well.

Thanks for the tip! Will try tommorow and send new pics

Comment

I'll try to post new close ups soon, but I have an other question: do leaves always start yellowing when it is close to harvest?
              All leaves are still very green on my plant (autoflower)
              Thanks!

Comment

Sometimes and sometimes they don't. Mine will almost always cause i treat them roughly at the end. Starved of nutes last 3 wks and water last 7 days i really dry out the pots let the roots eat everything she's got left. It's the only time i treat them mean unless they act out then timeout in the green house
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X