No announcement yet.

Sunlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear flowering plants need and use more light than veg plants. That’s why people use cfl to veg but hps to flower

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, we can discuss light intensity instead of photon availability. Limiting the light intensity on a plant in veg will lead to slower growth rates (assuming all other factors are optimized). Slower growth = small plants = less yields in the end.

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      Try an experiment. Obtain 2 clones of the same cultivar. Place one clone in an outdoor area where there is 75% PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) place the other clone in an outdoor area where there is 100% PAR (full sunlight). Observe how the plants grow. The plant in 75% PAR will stretch more, have larger fan leaves (so it can capture the limited sunlight), and will have longer side branches. This will happen because the plant is seeking more light. The plant in 100% PAR will stay shorter, stockier, have smaller fan leaves, less side branching, and will be less spindly. It is not as light limited as the plant in 75% PAR.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Korn Yes, agreed. So put the highest yielders in the sun spot, and the low yielders can do the stretching. This will maximize the yield potential of all the combined plants.

Toker, you are exactly right. That's why I asked a very rudimentary question that even a beginning grower would never be stupid enough to ask! Because I know that I don't know it all, and when I saw the vast experience of this sites users I thought there might be something I could learn. As to the quality and potency of my stuff, all my friends that use clinic stuff say mine might not look quite the same, but it does the job just as well, and often far surpasses.

Korn, please see above! Thanks for your attempted insult, I just had to laugh! And it's 40 years of growing strong.
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      More sunlight is better for both veg and flower, period.

It’s important to remember growth rates In veg are based on light received (one factor of several). Assuming all the other factors are optimized, a plant receiving less light will ultimately grow slower in veg. Slower growth will = smaller yields in the end. That’s ultimately what we are discussing here.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      OK so follow toker1 and veg in full sun, then move your flowering plants to the shadier areas. Good luck!

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s not what I recommend at all. I said move the high yielders to the sun spots (Veg and flower alike). This is to maximize your yield potential. Putting a low yielder in the sun will take up usable light and still not produce the best yields. See comment #8.

All good info. In a perfect world my 1/4 acre property would be mostly flat with full sun and southern exposure, instead of all hillside! I live on the north side of a hill, and have large oaks blocking the sun in my grow area. Later in the year it gets even worse. I usually move them around to give each equal time in the best sun but am getting tired of the process of chasing light and hucking heavy containers with big plants all over the place. I'm no spring chicken! I'm going to stick with giving the veg stage gals (which will be the biggest yielders) the best sun and letting the flowering ones get good morning sun until noon, and then filtered sun through late afternoon and early evening. The largest of the flowering plants will get the good sun as a comparison. With COVID going on, I'm working from home now so I get to spend more time with the garden. I can't seem to upload pics for some reason, so any help/tips with that would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      I would either get a chainsaw and open some areas up or find a sunnier place to grow. But thats just me. Carry on.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Not all of us can cut those trees down, I can where I am and have cut some, the girls do like light.

Got the chainsaw! But the oak trees are protected where I live. Fine is around $25,000. per tree. Can't even trim them unless branches are 2" in diameter. Not going there. Wish I could. Its ok if they fall and crush your house though! Only reason I get much sun at all is because I down anything not protected that blocks the sun. The house is cooler in summer though, and the helicopters have a harder time spotting. Averaging 4-5 ft Christmas tree size and shape plants so I'm not really complaining. Its only been 3 months. Still having trouble getting pics to post, but maybe that's a good thingI or there would be belly laughs all around! Wish I had a clue what I am doing, but I'm actually getting lots of re-education here. Since "Marijuana Botany" apparently just isn't cutting it anymore, any recommended books on outdoor will be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on the pics issue, but I've already asked that in an earlier post. But seriously, thanks everyone for helping!

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont get why an oak would be protected, they grow like rocks, I mean weeds here! I had a friend with a dog, dog pissed on his tree and killed it, and every tree he pissed on. You need one of these tree killing dogs! "I dont know what happened to them they just died"

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I despise how these gated communities are. You pay for it i reckon? Time for all states to legalize it..

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Want a tree gone? Copper sulphate will kill the roots. Get enough roots covered and tree will not recover.

I know, putting them up in the oaks would be great and I considered it, but just not possible. Trust me on that. These oaks are huge, the hillside is about 45 degrees. I could piss on them for days and they would just love the extra water. I mean beer! We're not even in a gated or homeowner association ruled area, but when a chainsaw starts up some neighbor will call the city arborist! Absurd! Then they'd freak at the sight of the garden. No sweat, being working at home all day now allows me to turn my plants 180 degrees often so they are getting decent light all around. Been getting a good workout moving all the babes. Looks like a Christmas tree farm, just not in rows! Probably going to be one of my best years. Yee Haw! Still waiting for a tip on getting my pics to post. Thanks all!

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      No prob. Understandable. Gotta work with what you got. Or go Amish on some branches at 4am with the manual saw. Lol Open up some more available light. Do what you think is best. Don’t want to draw too much attention that’s for sure.

Yup, I utilize my hand saw and telescopic tree saw as much as possible. There are a few Acacia and non-protected trees that met their end and more to follow. Ask not for whom the bell tolls... Outlaws in Babylon (great book by Steve Chapple, like he wrote exactly what I was living and seeing in Garberville in the early 80's), Kings of the Wild Frontier (Adam Ant). Ant Music for Sex People!

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!! I am North of Oakland and south of Napa Valley. I know of HC and the bud trade back in the day. You can still get great deals there today. High quality way under priced when compared to the city.

Cool, we did road trips down to SF, Oakland and L.A. to see shows, packin' the kind and just wrecking folks! Nobody could take the second hit on a fatty and not go down for the count. I kept leaving people around me asleep, and would go find new nappers to party with for a few minutes. Indica wasn't mainstream yet. The Who, The Clash and T-Bone Burnett in 82 at Oakland Coliseum, Stones & Prince 1981 L.A. Coliseum. I almost got put out of the car around Bakersfield on the drive home because I said I really liked the Prince set!. Many more shows with the same results! Unbelievably wild and fun times those days were. Eat, Sleep or not, Grow, Party! Repeat. And watch the rain fall.

Comment

Mazzariman what are you using, and how are you trying uploading?

Comment

I'm trying to use pics from my iPhone, and have tried using the camera icon as well as the Upload Attachments option. I get either file to large ,or an error pop up. Thanks!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X