Bowl leaf trimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Bowl leaf trimmer

So I got a 16" iPower bowl leaf trimmer. I just used it a couple nights ago right after cutting some girls down. It worked great, couple hours for a whole plant that probably would have been a couple days hand trimming (I can usually only do a couple hours at a time). The only problem I have is that my buds turned brown. One plant I didn't trim much off of and it turned darker than the other plant. The second still has a lot of green inside the buds but the outside is brown. This happened pretty quick, maybe within a couple hours. They are in cardboard boxes drying right now, trying a different drying method this time. I have never had this happen when I hand trimmed, or when I left the buds on the stem to hang dry. Maybe the buds were too small and got smashed turning them brown? Maybe they're more meant for trimming bigger buds? Anybody else have experience with them? Has anyone else had the same issue? I really don't think it's the buds, they were bright green when I cut them. Did it maybe bruise them, kind of like a banana is easy to bruise? First picture is the worst one, second is still green on the inside.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dphipps1020; 06-06-2020, 06:26 AM.

That sucks! I’ve been wanting to try one of those because trimming a couple plants by yourself blows! I bought a CannaBrush to try on my recent harvest and was able to do four autos in the time it took to watch two episodes of TWD.

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not bad but I think I need to let it dry for a day or 2 first. I may have to look into that CannaBrush because I hate hand trimming everything, takes too long.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks a lot like a basting brush I have. I wonder if it would work the same.

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, tried it lol the bristles are really stiff and they have flat pads on the end that grab the leaves. I saw a guy on YouTube use it and figured I’d try it on a auto I wasn’t too concerned with incase it messed the buds up but it doesn’t. Trichomes stay in place. It knocks almost all the leaves off so you barely have to hand trim anything. Maybe a small leaf or leftover stem occasionally. Told the wife I’m ordering another one for when my photos are done😂

It could be that brown color is from ragged cuts. You trimmed all of these buds wet and live so they still had some life functions happening. Next harvest, try drying part of it first then trimming and see which looks better, wet-trimmed or dry.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my thought too. I have more that will be coming down in the next week or 2, so it will be something to try for sure. It says you're supposed to be able to do it wet or dry. I tried it dry but it was all popcorn buds so I ended up losing some but it worked pretty well. Thinking maybe a day or 2 to dry and try it that way. Might actually be cutting some down today, depending on how they look. Supposed to be the best bowl trimmer too but I couldn't find any good instructions on how to use it, just videos.

Boy, I don't know if the bowl trimmer is the cause of the browning but I definitely wouldn't use a bowl trimmer on wet buds. A nice slow dry, then trim, then cure works best for me.
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm pretty sure it's from the trimmer because I've never had a problem before. You're supposed to be able to use it wet or dry but I'm guessing it still has to dry a little before a wet trim.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X