Transplanting put me in the ER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplanting put me in the ER

Last weekend I had quite the experience....

Saturday started off as any other day. Woke up, checked the babies, and noticed one was ready for a bigger pot. So I grab some ProMix Organics and Dr Earth dry amendments and mix it together. Transplant the seedling, and all is good. So I thought.

My wife decides we are going out for lunch. So in a rush, I rinse my hands off quickly and splash some water in my eyes and face. Little did I know, all those micro organisms that we depend on in our soil had been dumped into my eyes.

As I’m driving with my wife and kids, we pass a bunch of people getting ready to celebrate graduation in a parade. I make the inconsiderate joke, “man I miss high school” (As we pass all these beautiful girls). Of course my pregnant red-headed wife wasn’t happy.

Within seconds of my comment my eyes start itching. This was an itch I’ve never experienced. We all get those moments (typically in the am) when your eyes itch for a while. Well take that and times it by 20. My eyes were on fire. I never have allergies, thank God, but I thought maybe there was some pollen in the air and decided to grab some Visine and Claritin at a gas station. I put the visine in and it seemed to help one of my eyes. My other eye instantly got worse. It looked like I had the worse case of pink eye. There seemed to be a gelatinous substance that I assumed needed to come out. I thought maybe it’s a contact from years ago that got “lost” in my eye. So I try pulling it out and nothing happens. Then I look in the mirror to see the most disturbing eye I’ve ever seen. It was bright red and extremely swollen. At this point I was a little concerned and decided to go to an urgent care.

I walk up to the urgent care and the door is locked. A sign on the door says to call the receptionist. The receptionist (at an urgent care mind you) says “sorry but you need to make a reservation, and we can’t get you in until 4:00.” Well 4:00 was two hours away. Not being able to wait, I decided to go to the ER where HOPEFULLY i won’t need a reservation 🙄

After arriving at the ER I receive the greatest care, and find out I have Chemosis. What’s Chemosis you ask? It’s when your eye has some sort of bacterial irritant, and causes the thin layer covering your eyeball to become inflamed as it tries to fight off the outside irritant.

To wrap up this long story, doctors think that it was the organic fertilizer, teaming with bacteria that got splashed into my eyes while washing my face. On the other hand, my wife thought it was God punishing me for the rude comment I made about being back in high school.

The Lesson- always thoroughly wash your hands with soap after mixing up your soil.

**Heres a picture of what Chemosis is. This is not my eye, but mine looked pretty much the same. The gelatinous substance I tried to pull out? That was part of my eyeball.
    Last edited by Greenlivin; 06-05-2020, 12:15 AM.
    Current Grow:
    • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
    • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
    • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
    ​​​​Nutrients
    • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
    • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
    • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
    • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
    • Black Strap Molasses
    • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
    • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Wow, sorry you had to learn about it the hard way but thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope you get well soon and no permanent damage is done.

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      Sent you a pm couple days ago? Received?

I gotta go with your wife on this. Repent !!
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

Wow! Sorry that happened to you. Thanks for sharing and for the heads up and warning. Is the company that sells that stuff aware of its potential? May be worth while to notify them too so they can warn potential customers
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

At the end of the day, it wasn’t Dr. Earths fault. They put necessary precautions on the packaging. The upside to growing organic is you can get all the active bacteria in a bag. The downside is it can really mess your eyes up if it gets in there.

Fortunately, my eye is back to normal and no permanent damage done.
        Last edited by Greenlivin; 06-04-2020, 11:53 AM.
        Current Grow:
        • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
        • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
        • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
        ​​​​Nutrients
        • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
        • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
        • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
        • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
        • Black Strap Molasses
        • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
        • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Comment

• Korn
          Korn commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know.

DAYUMMMM!!!! I'm glad you're O.K. Thanks for sharing your experience!
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlivin View Post
          Last weekend I had quite the experience....

Saturday started off as any other day. Woke up, checked the babies, and noticed one was ready for a bigger pot. So I grab some ProMix Organics and Dr Earth dry amendments and mix it together. Transplant the seedling, and all is good. So I thought.

My wife decides we are going out for lunch. So in a rush, I rinse my hands off quickly and splash some water in my eyes and face. Little did I know, all those micro organisms that we depend on in our soil had been dumped into my eyes.

As I’m driving with my wife and kids, we pass a bunch of people getting ready to celebrate graduation in a parade. I make the inconsiderate joke, “man I miss high school” (As we pass all these beautiful girls). Of course my red-headed wife wasn’t happy.

Within seconds of my comment my eyes start itching. This was an itch I’ve never experienced. We all get those moments (typically in the am) when your eyes itch for a while. Well take that and times it by 20. My eyes were on fire. I never have allergies, thank God, but I thought maybe there was some pollen in the air and decided to grab some Visine and Claritin at a gas station. I put the visine in and it seemed to help one of my eyes. My other eye instantly got worse. It looked like I had the worse case of pink eye. There seemed to be a gelatinous substance that I assumed needed to come out. I thought maybe it’s a contact from years ago that got “lost” in my eye. So I try pulling it out and nothing happens. Then I look in the mirror to see the most disturbing eye I’ve ever seen. It was bright red and extremely swollen. At this point I was a little concerned and decided to go to an urgent care.

I walk up to the urgent care and the door is locked. A sign on the door says to call the receptionist. The receptionist (at an urgent care mind you) says “sorry but you need to make a reservation, and we can’t get you in until 4:00.” Well 4:00 was two hours away. Not being able to wait, I decided to go to the ER where HOPEFULLY i won’t need a reservation 🙄

After arriving at the ER I receive the greatest care, and find out I have Chemosis. What’s Chemosis you ask? It’s when your eye has some sort of bacterial irritant, and causes the thin layer covering your eyeball to become inflamed as it tries to fight off the outside irritant.

To wrap up this long story, doctors think that it was the organic fertilizer, teaming with bacteria that got splashed into my eyes while washing my face. On the other hand, my wife thought it was God punishing me for the rude comment I made about being back in high school.

The Lesson- always thoroughly wash your hands with soap after mixing up your soil.

**Heres a picture of what Chemosis is. This is not my eye, but mine looked pretty much the same. That gelatinous substance I tried to pull out? That was part of my eyeball.
          Your wife is right ...as the shit is organic their should only be bacteria in it, lucky you didn't swallow any you won't believe how itchy your anus gets

good luck

Comment

Oh man that sounds awful. Speedy recovery!
            Indoor grow. LED, Soil. Autos.

Outdoor grow. Autos, fem's, bagseeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...944-grow-diary

Comment

Well I guess timing really is everything and Karma springs into action. Hoping for a full and quick recovery. Will definitely keep this post in mind next time I’m outside working in the garden all sweaty and go to wipe my brow. Good luck bro

Comment

vostok lol damn don’t even want to know how you know that.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                  vostok lol damn don’t even want to know how you know that.lol
                  I'm considering submitting a thread on the origins of compost ...its not what many think...

as most the product is sourced from cities sewage farms and mixed with local city's organic matter lawn clipping ..grass...paper anything cheap/free

indeed compost is a cash cow to many 'useless' corporations, that may pay tiny useless tax in say one area, but rape the bank with compost profits in other areas,

however I'm new here and many of the Mods are of the delicate kind to say the least, as is the New membership ....lol

The real concern here is not the pathogens(bugs in shit) but the chems that leach out of the sewage once taken by peeps as medicene

the same goews with a buddy who sourced all his organic soils from a company who dug out cemetery's

his plants and they were many died later due to excess Formic Acid(old Formaldehyde) again leaching out of the soils

(i poked gently thru looking for items but even then the vinigar smell was too much) he went DWC after ...lol

good luck

ps google is your Friend ..lol
                  Last edited by vostok; 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
                    bboyfromwayback commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You gonna make me start putting gloves on when I garden 😂

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is true, city folk dont know their shit! Out here in the country we do things a bit dif, and it dont come from a can bottle or bag!

Wow! Looked like some Glenn type of shit. But seriously good to hear your doing fine. I use Dr Earth too gonna be a little extra careful next time I use it

Comment

vostok lol. I hear you on that. This is one of the things GWE is missing. More info on organic soils. Compost can be shit literally it is but there is good quality so informing your self in the source of your organic matter is essential. Like the reason I don’t use blood meal or bone meal or bat guano or you fill in the blank? I’ve requested an update on super soil recipes because the old subcool recipe consists of things that we probably shouldn’t be adding to our soils and this is just my opinion based on what I’ve heard on cannabis podcasts and what I have read, but just got ignored. So now I just try to be as helpful as I can without hurting somebody’s feelings lol. I had someone here come at me taking about, (Look Brah) haha I was like damn it’s okay Brah don’t get your Panttys in a bunch over my opinion lol. Anyways these days now we should be washing our hands very well. I think that was the point. ?

Comment

• Greenlivin
                      Greenlivin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Its amazing how fast I lost that good habit as COVID left the headlines.

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    vostok lol. I hear you on that. This is one of the things GWE is missing. More info on organic soils. Compost can be shit literally it is but there is good quality so informing your self in the source of your organic matter is essential. Like the reason I don’t use blood meal or bone meal or bat guano or you fill in the blank? I’ve requested an update on super soil recipes because the old subcool recipe consists of things that we probably shouldn’t be adding to our soils and this is just my opinion based on what I’ve heard on cannabis podcasts and what I have read, but just got ignored. So now I just try to be as helpful as I can without hurting somebody’s feelings lol. I had someone here come at me taking about, (Look Brah) haha I was like damn it’s okay Brah don’t get your Panttys in a bunch over my opinion lol. Anyways these days now we should be washing our hands very well. I think that was the point. ?
                    There was the guy who thought he'd get rabies using bat shit, so he cooked it in a microwave ...you can imagine how that went, his mom kicked him out and was'nt allowed back until he bought her a new one ..lol...

Comment

Greenlivin Those are some scarey ass lookin eyes. Take it easy, let your eyes rest up!!!!!!!!!!
                      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X