Storing seeds. Opinions appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing seeds. Opinions appreciated!

Can I get people opinions on how you guys are storing your seeds. All opinions are very much appreciated!
    I moved to a much hotter climate. And the coldest place I’ve got is in my basement, but still there it’s not that cold again.
    In Denmark I could just store them in the basement with no problems. The seeds are well sealed and no air is getting in. But I’m starting to think it’s maybe beginning to be a problem.

So ! Where do you guys/girls store your seeds ? And why ?
    And what is the oldest seeds you used ? (That germinated of course)

Thanks !
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

I store mine in the little baggies that come with it, in a plastic bag to keep them together, in another plastic bag with rice, in another bag that blocks light, in the humidity controlled draw in my fridge. May be overkill but idk lol.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool to hear 👍🏻 I have them in 100 % sealed package that came with the seeds (they are not opened)
      But in the freezer- I take that into consideration.

I read you should put them in the fridge. I have some left that I want to save & I read that refrigeration is ideal & can have the seeds last up to 10 years! It’s like a sperm bank, they keep the kids in the fridge until it’s time to go to warm places

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      10 years, it’s quite a bit. Not that I’m going to save them that long with my high use of cannabis 😂.
      But my climate here is way to warm for them in the basement (I think) so rather be on the safe side 😆

Mine are in a 35mm film canister in the butter compartment in the fridge.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good suggestion too👍🏻
      What about when you germinate the seeds ? No problem at all there ? Do they have some “recovery” time after are out from the fridge to get warm ? (Fuck that sounds stupid😂) Or do you go directly to your germination method ?

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no idea to be honest. I just drop em into a 1/2 full shot glass of warm tap water & let em soak til they stay sunk when stirred- then a couple more hrs for good measure- lay em on the prepared soil & cover em about 1.5inches & keep moist. I DID just go thru a bad spell & a high percentage failed but I'm fairly certain that was on me- not the seeds.

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that 👍🏻

I have 25 ordered feminized in my fridge and i have about 1thousand regular seeds that ive bred and collected over the years in a Folgers coffee can in my freezer and they come up every year. Some are 8 to 9 years old and they still grow like a dream!!!

Comment

I have actually stored them several ways but the ways I have found that work best are:

In sealed containers inside a refrigerator
      In individual little baggies inside a closed paper bag inside a drawer I never open

Both methods worked equally well. I bought seeds about 3 years ago and left them in the drawer in my desk and they are still good. My dad has been saving seeds for years and keeping them in the refrigerator. He sent them all to me and they too are all still fine (after keeping them in the fridge myself). You basically want a cool, dark, dry place to store them and they should last a while. As for germination, I haven't noticed a difference in seeds that were stored in a refrigerator and seeds that weren't. Basically, once you apply water, nature takes over.
      Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
      Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome experience, thanks.
        I’m right now I have them the original sealed package. (From RQS) and it’s 100% air tight. And they are in a drawer also, never opened. But my temperature in the basement is around 25 Celsius, sometimes I just think it’s too hot🤔.

I store my seeds in a old Altoids container inside of a ziplock bag with a little bit of rice inside of the bag that’s stored in my refrigerator.

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah for me it rice replaces like a silica pack or desiccant. Since i payed for those seeds i dont personally take chances.

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool 👍🏻 Thanks

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, just keeps moisture out

another vote for fridge here, basically you are imitating winter and trying to prevent bacteria or mold from growing

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that 👍🏻 I ended up with more seeds than I needed now. So have to do something about it 😅

In a dark part of the cellar in a pill bottle with a few grains of rice and all that inside of a pencil case
      1. 2×4×5 Grow Tent (Bloom)
      2. 3×3×5 Grow Tent (Veg)
      3. 2x 200W Full Spectrum QB's
      4. 400W digital ballast MH/HPS
      5. 6" Aircooled Hood
      6. 4" Fan\Filter
      7. Remo Nutrients
      8. Top-Fed DWC

Comment

In the original breeders containers, sealed in heat/seal bags with a few grains of dried rice to absorb excess moisture that may sneak in. I put them all in Food storage containers inside of the crisper drawer of my fridge with the humidity of the drawer set to low. I change out the dried grains of rice every few years or so....Sometimes.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X