Heat stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat stress?

I have got some tacos at the tops of my plants. Do you think this is heat stress from my lights or something else? Also new growth has turned very bright green over the last couple of days. Thanks in advance 🙂
    Click image for larger version

Name:	71D79B29-58A3-4A33-8D23-C47F6C0FBA7A.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	407548

Name:	A541D38D-4062-43D6-8391-1821DD8E1516.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	407550
    Attached Files

it is heats stress but in truth the air is too dry check your Humidistat,

tho the plant can handle high temps for a short time 2-4 hours dry air twists the leaf margins as such

cool her down, check your Rh hourly keep her 55-65% or until the margins relax

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the advice, appreciated as always. I do suffer from low RH. It seems to be around 40/45% most of the time. I’ll work on trying to raise it up somehow. I was going to buy a mini humidifier but I was told not to if I have LED lights in my tent? I keep putting damp sponges in there and a bowel/glass of water, which helps a little bit, not a lot though. How else can I raise my RH without adding a humidifier/mister? Or was I misinformed about humidifiers damaging my LED grow light?? I’m confused again 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        My RH is holding steady at 42 these days. In the Winter when we run the furnace it has gotten as low as 11 but is usually low 20s.

• Jordann
        Jordann commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess it depends on the light itself lots of quantum boards are ip67 waterproof so they would be a o k. But even with my blurple lights I've used humidifiers without any problems.

If it’s light driven it’s because the plants closest to the light are requiring more nutrients but that “spiked” look they got (not actually taco leaf) and the yellowing point more to a deficiency. Environment does have an impact but I would start at the roots. It’s drinking the same water? What kind of yellowing? Looks like iron def? What’s the ph you water at? What you feeding?

Comment

If mine, I'd try raising my lights a little, looks like light bleaching to me ,in flower, you want low humidity, like 30-45percent, especialy if you want hard, dense buds, you don't want high humidity in flower.
        Nice plant, good luck.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Think I might have a few issues with this plant. I’m thinking it might be a combination of heat stress, overwatering, a possible nitrogen abundance, possibly a phosphorus/potassium and or iron deficiency? Maybe all of these problems together. Some of which are probably from overwatering. I have moved my lights up a lot compared to where they were. I’ve also improved air circulation.
          Here are some photos that capture all the leaves together.
          Am I thinking along the right lines? Ph of run off was 6.4 last time I checked. Will check ph again next time I water.
          Thanks again for any advice. 👍🏻

Name:	09076E3B-0B9F-4EB6-AFF4-007991BA7228.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	408797

Name:	9C5EBB74-CE43-4565-ABD2-FAD7443E2CAC.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	408798

Name:	583DAC78-6C95-4C12-818D-252B419710BF.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	408799

Comment

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I’ll check for root rot tomorrow by trying to have a look through the drainage holes, maybe cut another small drainage hole to see the hidden roots? Also will give plain ph’d water again next time with a decent amount of run off. (I gave plain ph’d water last time I watered her). Hoping to try and resolve this issue quickly if possible as this is an auto flower. This is my first grow, don’t mind admitting that I’m not sure what’s best to be doing at this stage. Will be good to find out the root of the problem or if the roots are the problem.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            When salt build up occurs the ec starts to rise and you get tip burn all over the plant and leaves start to get hard and crispy. Are you able to lift or tilt your pot in order to guess how heavy it is? It’s the best way to make sure the plant actually needs water. Over watering is common. Let the pot dry before the next water. What soil you using? And what nutrients how often. Everything you can tell me will help narrow the possibilities

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Btw the best way to detect rot is by smell. Dig up a bit of soil and smell it. When you water recover some runoff and smell it. Smell the bottom of the pot if you can.

I’m leaning towards Nute burn/Nute lock out from salt build up. I feel like I’ve watered this plant prematurely a few times and with not enough run off.
          I’m growing in Canna Terra Professional (not plus) with a little extra perlite. I started feeding (very lightly) around day 25 with Biobizz grow @ 0.25ml per litre. I have gradually increased the dosage up to 0.5ml per litre. I started to feed bloom a week into flower at 0.5ml per litre. I’ve given them molasses once but only a teaspoon per 5L.

Comment

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            I always ph the water down to around 6.3/6.4 after adding nutes. When I’ve checked run off ph in the past it’s been around the same coming out as going in.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I find that very unlikely. You’ve been feeding low doses and the soil you are using only has nitrogen in it. I’ve never used biobizz but I’ve seen many people have issues with them. Regardless of how this plant recovers if the nutrients are the issue then this will happen again. I don’t think it’s rot. I think you need calmag. Iron calcium. You could also use other brand of calmag or any micro nutrients like big bloom if you wanna go organic.

Sorry forgot to say that I’ve given Vitalink CalMag 🤦🏼‍♂️
          I started that around day 30.
          0.5ml per litre every other watering. I increased the dosage slightly to 0.75ml per litre just before the issues started. At first I thought it was too much Nitrogen. I really should have mentioned this! Quite an important thing I missed out. I’ve also given Biobizz Topmax at 0.25ml per litre from day 30. That’s everything that’s been added apart from Ph down. I don’t think I was getting enough run off when I was watering.
          The pot still has some weight to it so unfortunately not ready for watering yet. I think it would benefit from being watered with plain water with a decent amount of run off? Soon possibly because it’s starting to look worse.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Itsasecret; 05-25-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m using the same nutrients on my other two plants and they are doing well so far. 🤞🏻

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve added the photo of all 3 plants together. All 3 are the same (GSC auto’s) all fed with the same nutrients. Only one plant has gone to 💩

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I see. That’s very weird. A nutrient issue would happen on all the plants usually. I agree the most likely scenario seems to be nutrient lock down. Seeing the damage on the lower leaves helps eliminate he possibility of a simple deficiency. That’s why I went coco and never looked back. To many things out of your control when using soil

I don't know if anyone has touched on this but some plants are heavy feeders and some are anorexic. Some need constant feeding and some need next to nothing. But I agree that it could use a large pHed water flush, flush with 3 gallons of water for every gallon of soil in the pot. You don't have to wait for it to be dry and ready for a watering. If your doing a flush you can do it half way between watering or even the day after watering.
          Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
          sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
          4 plants currently under 500w
          2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
          GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
          Happy growing/consuming 🥴
          Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the advice. Going to flush her out when I get home from work. 👍🏻

Flushed out my sick plant last night. Hopefully things will start to improve now? 🤞🏻
          Wasn’t looking too happy today..
          Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            If the flushed is helping the plant - then it was a nute burn you got. But I really hope it’s get better for the plant 🙏🏻
            Doesn’t look like a light burn to me.

Thanks @CaptainWise91 for your concern. I’ve ruled out the lights being the issue. I think the flush has helped. Leaning towards Nute lockout due to me being a prick and overwatering.. Not letting my plant get what it needs because of salt build up and constantly damp soil. Hopefully my other two plants don’t go down the same road. I’m definitely not overwatering those ones! 🤦🏼‍♂️
          I’m going to keep a close eye on this plant over the next few days. Next time I water I will feed a light dosage of Bloom and CalMag with around 20% run off.
          This is all new to me. Bit of a learning curve.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Your plant is a real puzzle because everything is fine in theory yet the plant is not happy. Hopefully the flush will get her going again

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely a bit of a puzzle. Imagine trying to figure out what’s going on when you’ve never grown before. 🤷🏼‍♂️
            I can only put it down to me watering a bit too often with not enough run off. Then because of my poor watering with this one I believe it caused Nutrient lockout due to salt build up? I don’t feel like it was Nute burn or just a deficiency because there were too many things wrong, all at the same time. I’m no expert though, that’s for sure! From now on I will leave the pots feeling light for a day or so before watering and make sure I get around 20% runoff..just to be on the safe side. I think being close to the lights didn’t help as it was speeding up photosynthesis and the extra heat from the light probably didn’t help either. The worst effected fan leaves were right in front of my oscillating fan which also probably dried those leaves out a bit. The lower/larger fan leaves on the other side are not too bad, especially the ones in the shade.
            Confusing time for a first timer. 🤯

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve grown close to 200 plants and I still find myself clueless more often than I would like to admit. Most people out there will repeat the same things you find online but experienced growers know there is a lot of complicated things that can happen where theory becomes useless and your only option is to try things. Just like happening to you now. You think you have it all figured out and soon comes the unexpected

Every grow is a learning experience and process. Even for me in my current grow also. But it’s really normal for new growers, everyone wants to “do good” towards the plants. It’s normal
          You won’t get good at it, if you don’t make mistakes and correct them.
          next time you make run off, be sure you don’t have some root rot, if you overwatered the plant for a long time👍🏻
          and run off water is always good to make. I do it every time I water, so I don’t build salt up - and then maybe the flush is never needed during the grow 🙏🏻
          Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
          You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            I can’t see or smell any sign of root rot. The roots are still white and healthy and my soil and runoff smell fine. Hopefully I have done what was needed by flushing and hopefully the plant will start to make a recovery. 🤞🏻
            Will keep a very close eye on things from now on.
            I did notice before the flush that the perlite that was on the surface of the soil was a little bit brown. It’s not brown anymore and neither of my other 2 plants have brownish perlite. It’s all looking white again, like how perlite is supposed to look.
            Maybe I had perlite rot 😂

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe 😂👍🏻

It can grow mould and cause problems though. Been there. 🤫
          Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
          sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
          4 plants currently under 500w
          2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
          GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
          Happy growing/consuming 🥴
          Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried to raise awareness about trichoderma harzarium but people didn’t paid attention and nebula never answered. It’s the only biological fungicide capable of killing pythium, it also kills all the others root rots. It’s widely used in Asian agriculture but in Cannabis only mycorrhizae is used and it doesn’t prevent other fungi

Update on my sick plant. The lower leaves are turning yellow and falling off. New growth at the top of the plant looks a bit more promising. I’m not sure if I have fixed the issue or not? I plan to feed with bloom and CalMag on the next watering. Seems like it needs some Phosphorus now, especially after the flush out a few days ago.
          What do you guys and gals think? 🤷🏼‍♂️
          Can I save this plant???
          Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Give it some nutrients 👍🏻 My opinion
            After a flush - you restart with nutrients. And cal mag never hurt a cannabis plant 👍🏻

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks CaptainWiese91. Glad we’re thinking along the same lines. I won’t go too crazy with the nutes. I’ll make sure I get a decent amount of run off too. 👍🏻

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly! Run off water is perfect.
            Rather water with half the strength nutes, and then you can do it twice. Than one time with double nutes and then it’s too much and you need a flush again..

I’ve been extra cautious with the nutes so far. Only feeding quarter strength. Still thinking I wasn’t getting enough run off which may have added to this issue. I've had a word with myself and sorted my watering issues out!
          ...Do you think the new growth looks encouraging?
          I hope I can save this plant. That would be amazing!

Name:	F4901D39-EA0C-401F-87ED-8CFDDFA91423.png
Views:	197
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	410859

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s definitely looking better. He damage already done will not recover but those new leaves and hopefully the buds will grow healthy. Be sure to remove the very dead leaves, when the plant is done with them all it takes is a slight touch and the leaf fall off. A dead leaf on a bud can create rot or attract bugs. Just keep clean I would be very encouraged if I were you

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            I do remember myself having this issue when I did my first couple indoor grows. I either underwatered or overwatered and fed to much or not enough. Takes time to learn the needs. You will get a harvest and this grow is one for your book of records if you do.

• Itsasecret
            Itsasecret commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again guys for your advice and positivity. It really is appreciated 😊
            I’d be so lost without you. I truly mean it.
            I feel like I can turn this around now and hopefully still get a half decent yield from this plant. This has definitely been a learning curve. I have stressed these plants out and overwatered two of them. This one that I am trying to save was overwatered and I broke a branch on her at an early age. The other one has been a real slow grower and hasn’t started to “autoflower” yet. 7 weeks old tomorrow and still no flowering on the stunted one. Think I might have to flip to 12/12 after I’ve harvested the other two? It just doesn’t want to flower for some reason? I don’t mind though, just probably going to take a while for that one? I’ll post another picture of all 3 together again...👍🏻

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X