Do nutrients go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do nutrients go bad?

Hey GWE community. I was just curious as to what people thought about nutrients and expiration dates. Have you noticed that nutrients "go bad" after a certain amount of time or can they last with proper storage? I'm asking because my first grow as about 2 years ago and I had some left over nutrients from it that I have since reused (just for my first round of nutrients). I only chose to do this for two reasons:

1. I'm at the very beginning of my grow and a weaker than normal nutrient mix due to degradation isn't a huge deal because I'm already thinning the feeding schedule dose by half.
    2. I'd like to not waste anything and since it's been sitting in a dark garage with low humidity and average temps (60ºF - 75ºF on average) I had hoped they'd still be good.

So what say you GWE growers? Do you think I should toss the old and put in new or can I finish off the old ones then use my new stuff?

I did buy new nutrients so I can swap if the overall consensus seems to think that is best. I for one am not sure because this is my second hydro grow ever. I will add that I haven't found any actual "expiration dates" on any of the bottles. They could have gotten rubbed off due to use last time. Not sure.

Thanks in advance!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Hi ellz, some of my Future Harvest nutes have an expiration, after 3 years, while others don't. Write to your nute company and ask them.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Everything I’ve purchased has an expiration/best by date on the label. Some sellers place their price tags over the dates which is infuriating to me. Synthetic would be less of a concern than organic so in my case I’m not concerned about the date on my base nutrients. I do check the dates on my enzyme and beneficial bacteria bottles as the expiration dates on those are more relevant. If I was using an organic line of bottled nutrients for my base NPK’s I would pay more attention to the expiration date. As far as the nutrients that you have, if they’re synthetic and you can see crystals inside the bottle I’d toss them, it can happen over time and it’s best to move on from them at that point. It’s normal to see white crystals form in the cap area but they shouldn’t be forming inside the solution.
      Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• ellz
        ellz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the crystal stuff around the lid but not in the bottle. Thanks for the info.

I have had some ferts get like crystals from being 2yrs old and just shake it up well. I don't purchase gallon cont. of ferts/nutes just quarts or smaller and then it last couple years. But yes I do have exp. dates
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Just looked at my voodoo juice. It expired 2019😂. Still using it, with no problem at all👍🏻 I just shake it very well. Have no problems at all.
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Obi-Wan
          Obi-Wan commented
          Editing a comment
          Did anything really good happen? Shaking dead beneficial bacteria won’t bring them back to life and feeding dead beneficial bacteria to your plants won’t hurt them but is the product actually doing what it’s supposed to. My guess based on experience is that it’s not. When I add beneficial bacteria I expect to see certain results. When I add them and don’t see those results I discard the bottle and buy a new one. Some things are best purchased in smaller bottles.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I write i have no problems - it’s means my plants like them. And if I have roots problems it fix it.
          I’m sorry to hear your bad experience- maybe your stored your products wrong - I don’t know. But as long as I can see my plants have benefits from it - I’ve use it

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I even used it on my 6 small seedlings yesterday - it’s morning here now, and I can already see they had benefits from it. So my experience- it works fine

Don't see how an expiration date would be needed/accurate on ferts. Any kind of "Best if used by" is bogus
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes best if used by.....translates to..... throw it out and spend more money on our products.

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point Jordann!

Jordann exactly what I’m thinking. I don’t have problems and my plants like what I’m giving them.
        Even my CANNA PK 13/14 expired in April - It’s still works
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep used lots of expired general hydroponics ferts. They have some natural products that I wouldn't be so sure about like the bud boosters and things like that but I don't really use much if those as I'm not convinced they do much aside from Make the company money lmao. I boost Buds all on my own don't need their snake oil.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive bought Bud candy once - half of my plants got it and the other half didn’t. Could not see or taste the different to be honest.

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree @CaptianWiese91 done the same things and have not noticed anything worth spending the money. The main thing that gives you better buds is the proper use of n p k. And lots of care and LST.

Jordann Totally agree on this one👍🏻
        my critical kush week 3 of bloom today.
        only gave blooms nutes twice👍🏻

Comment

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice plants looks like they're good producers.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I really hopes so! First time I’m trying this strain😆
          As long as I hit the NPK ratio right - I should be okay 👍🏻

There's nothing on earth that doesn't have an expiration date. Common sense separates the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

• ellz
          ellz commented
          Editing a comment
          No need to get snippy. It's just a question.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X