Normal LED bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Normal LED bulbs

First, I completely understand there is a ton of info about this out there, but I was finding it difficult to find an answer that is specific enough. That said, here is my question.....

For most of my plants this year, I am planning to grow in my sunroom. However, I found these two packs of LED bulbs in my house and am wondering if they would be effective grow lights?

Right now, I have one seedling, less than a week old, about 10 -15 cm from one of each of these bulbs. One bulb has ‘cool’ and the other has ‘warm’ light. Thank you for the insight.

Edit: I don’t know where I got the idea of having the bulbs 10-15 cm from the seedling, as I am now thinking this may be way to close.

Comment

I cut the plastic bulbs off the lights and stay about 6 inch away. I've used them since they came out years ago. There's a time and place for them. Not sure if I've ever done a complete grow just with them. I stick with the higher powered LEDs and HPS.
      Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
      sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
      4 plants currently under 500w
      2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
      GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
      Happy growing/consuming 🥴
      Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

Yes, it's possible to do. Like Jordann mentioned, remove the diffusers to improve efficiency. The 5000k will be fine for vegging and the 2700k works for flower.
        Because they are relatively low-efficiency diodes, plan on using about 40 watts/sq ft of footprint.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by FortyNation View Post
          First, I completely understand there is a ton of info about this out there, but I was finding it difficult to find an answer that is specific enough. That said, here is my question.....

For most of my plants this year, I am planning to grow in my sunroom. However, I found these two packs of LED bulbs in my house and am wondering if they would be effective grow lights?

Right now, I have one seedling, less than a week old, about 10 -15 cm from one of each of these bulbs. One bulb has ‘cool’ and the other has ‘warm’ light. Thank you for the insight.
          Flip the lids off
          and use 2 warm reds to one cool white(for correct hormonal induced growth)
          as you progress to harvest ensure you finish on all warm whites

keep the bulbs right down to the lights
          let your temp gauge guide you
          have a small fan close by

good luck

Comment

All of these bulbs are not created equal, I tried popping the diffuser off, put it 8" from a bud and in about an hour the bud was crisp!
            Do go by the watts pulled from the wall and not the spoof watts.
            Also you will get better results with better lights, we all start somewhere.

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record but since I have had remarkable results this way... and NEVER deviate. 23w cfl each bulb (100w equivalent t500K) . From sprout to 3 weeks. Then under Samsung LM301B led strips until harvest
              these are less than 2 weeks old and 4” over the tops

Click image for larger version  Name:	E52A3396-95DE-4539-A082-1DE61A9717EE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	404729 Click image for larger version

Name:	AFF2EE7F-9EA0-42F1-85C9-4386B278D0A4.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	405278 took this photo yesterday (2 weeks old)
              Last edited by Farmall; 05-15-2020, 07:42 PM. Reason: Added 2nd side by side comparison pic

Comment

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                UPDATE; it’s two weeks and the 5th node has just appeared...small, but there

Thank you everyone for the input. I followed the recommendations and now have two warms and one cool, with the diffusers removed.

After looking around a bit, I found these bulbs on amazon and am wondering if they would work significantly better than the previous two I mentioned, or if what I have will work just as well? It comes in 30W, 50W, and 100W.

Comment

My experience on lighting in my grows over the years has left a pile of discarded fixtures.
                I've spent WAY more on trying to shoe-string fixtures rather than just INVESTING in a useable light.
                You haven't mentioned how large an area you're planning on growing in but if you use current tech diodes like those used in QB's, cobs or light strips then a simple metric of 30 watts/ sq ft of canopy will flower well.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X