Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I trim roots to make a pot up easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I trim roots to make a pot up easier?

I have several photos in 5 gallon cloth pots, in kindsoil, that I want to repot into 7 gallon pots without kindsoil. My reasoning is that from my experience with kindsoil, it doesn't go the distance all the way through the flowering period,, so I want to change them into coast of Maine, and use my tried and true botanicare nutrients for the flowering stage.
    That said, it's a difficult job to just go up from a 5 to a 7, so does anyone know if I can trim the roots to make an easier fit? I have thought of going up to a 10 gallon pot, but I'm afraid they'll get too large for my ceiling in the 12 12 room . Any thoughts?
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the earth.

Auto's and Super auto's in Coast of Maine
    Photos in Coast of Maine
    Nothern lights auto, AK48 auto, OG Kush auto Cookie G3 Super auto's
    PurePowerPlant photo, Sweet Zombie photo, Wonder woman photo
    3 & 5 & 7 & 10 gal 24/7 grow bags
    Recharge, molasses, Botanicare nutrient line
    12(6 in each room) 450 watt Viparspector LED
    (2) 6" Carbon filter and fans
    House of hydro foggers both veg and 12/12 rooms.
    8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)
    9 x 12' Flowering room (12/12 room)

IMO if in the flowering stage No ..

Vegging stage only if you must

good luck
    Last edited by vostok; 05-11-2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      I neglected to say they are in veg.

I wouldn't recommend it unless there's an emergency if you are in flower. Even in veg I wouldn't suggest it because it will most likely shock the plant. Just my thoughts.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read some info on line, and apparently it can be done in veg, and its then suggested to use potassium silicate to support the roots in their recovery.

If you plan on replacing the soil anyway, just knock off as much of the old soil as you can from the root ball. Fill your new pot a bit with the new soil. Hold your plant about the level you want it and fill it in. Make sure you pack it down a little (doesn't have to be hard) as you go so the soil doesn't have a lot of air pockets. When you're done, give a good water to make sure all the soil is moist and give it a day or 2 to recover. Sometimes it can take up to 5 days to fully recover from the shock, but if you do it right it should only take a day. It probably sounds intimidating or like the plant would never survive it, but I promise it will be fine. I've done this a few times with 100% success and they're usually fine a few hours later or the next day. That's what I would do if I was replacing my soil. Hope that helps. Happy growing.

Comment

I RIP the bottom off the rootball everytime I transplant a plant. Once inna while It'll get a little shock but they bounce back quick & grow with a vengeance.

Comment

I've been a serious perennial Gardiner for years, and grow crazy tropical in houseplants so I'm very familiar with transplanting Etc. My issue isn't the depth it's the width. Last year I put a 3 gallon photo into a 5-gallon and it was ridiculously tight around the sides. In fabric pots it's just a real pain so it's not so much the depth it's the sides. Many times I've trimmed the roots and put plants in the same size pot to give them more time I just didn't know if cannabis was the same way. Just wanted to be certain that I can deal with them the same way I do my other plants.
        The earth does not belong to us.
        We belong to the earth.

Auto's and Super auto's in Coast of Maine
        Photos in Coast of Maine
        Nothern lights auto, AK48 auto, OG Kush auto Cookie G3 Super auto's
        PurePowerPlant photo, Sweet Zombie photo, Wonder woman photo
        3 & 5 & 7 & 10 gal 24/7 grow bags
        Recharge, molasses, Botanicare nutrient line
        12(6 in each room) 450 watt Viparspector LED
        (2) 6" Carbon filter and fans
        House of hydro foggers both veg and 12/12 rooms.
        8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)
        9 x 12' Flowering room (12/12 room)

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah. Yeah you can slice some off the sides no problem. I hear ya- I always go into a much bigger pot- not much reason to go from a 3gal to 5 or 10 to 15.... they'll just need repotted again before you can turn around & scratch your ass.
          Last edited by JDU; 05-11-2020, 01:02 AM.

You can cut 1/4 of a inch off the sides and 1/2 of a inch off the bottom with a serrated knife to help stimulate new growth of Roots when moving to new soil in a larger pot, this method of pruning is used to keep repotting Mother plants in small pots for years.

You should be prepared for a couple things if you go this route
        1) you kill the plants.
        2) you stunt the growth on your plants for a time
        3) they will show signs of deficiencies when in fact it is signs of Roots problems due to what you have done.

you what to think about slowing down the growth of the plant like remove abundant nitrogen, lowering light wattage, dropping room temperature, but increasing potassium, kelp, micros.

I root prune about a week or two after I cut back my plants foilage, enough time for them to recover but they're still not trying to grow vertically.

I personally think if you're moving to a larger pot you shouldn't need to prune the roots, just transplant.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Greenpassion
          Greenpassion commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to trim the roots because going from a 5-gallon to a 7 gallon is too tight squeeze. Putting them in a 10-gallon means I will have enormous plants in my room is not tall enough. I don't know what else to do?

Originally posted by Greenpassion View Post
        I've been a serious perennial Gardiner for years, and grow crazy tropical in houseplants so I'm very familiar with transplanting Etc. My issue isn't the depth it's the width. Last year I put a 3 gallon photo into a 5-gallon and it was ridiculously tight around the sides. In fabric pots it's just a real pain so it's not so much the depth it's the sides. Many times I've trimmed the roots and put plants in the same size pot to give them more time I just didn't know if cannabis was the same way. Just wanted to be certain that I can deal with them the same way I do my other plants.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	forever-buds.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	403827
        Guys who I know deal with gallons go from 5 to 7usg
        it makes the deal/struggle worth their time ..lol

New to the scene is BC seeds Forever Bud claiming to offer
        the perennial experience to growers
        but is still early days, I urge caution

good luck

ps click the link to check the price ....lololololol
        Last edited by vostok; 05-11-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          $100,000 is the price tag - story is unreal - they have a 13 year old plant that is 34 feet tall and produces 20 pounds a year. They said it would be taller if they didn't continually cut off buds.

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          Well next time I have 100 000 just lying around....ha

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X