Initial RH in jars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial RH in jars.

When you first place your buds in jars, what is a typical initial relative humidity reading? I use these throughout. Usually at least 2 per jar for accuracy. The last time I waited for a small bud to snap off the whole batch turned out to be way too dry.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have to wait anywhere from 4 to 24 hours to get humidity to achieve balance between the buds and the air inside the jar. Once you get some practice you’ll realize the actual rh is not the same for every plant and it’s more about how it feels but just to start make sure humidity never rises above 55% inside the jar. Once it does you open for a few minutes, move the buds around. Once humidity stays below 55 for at least 24 hours you can start the curing, meaning you can leave the jar closed two or three days at a time with little risk of mold.

Comment

I dry mine in brown grocery bags with hygrometers in each brown bag, when the humidity in my bags get close to 60percent, I take the buds out an put them in quart mason jars, an my humidity goes back up close to 70percent humidity, then you just burp the jars a couple of times a day, for about 10-15minutes, for 4-5days.
      When it gets down to 60-65percent in the jars ,I keep the jars closed,
      Overdrying your buds is horrible, not much you can do about that, except keep some of your big green stems, to add in your jars, it seems to help raise your humidity some.
      Anyway, growing is easy, the drying an curing, is where it's at if you want good smelling an tasting bud.
      HappyGrowing. smoorman
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• budguy420
        budguy420 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried this before too, worked well for me. Agreed, overdrying sucks.

^^^this
      Using paper grocery bags allows moisture levels to equalize before jarring.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

After the hanging drying, I just put them in the jar - check on them 2-3 times af day. In the first 1-2 weeks. Maybe have the jar open 30 min every time. After 2 weeks I open the jar once a day for 10 min
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

9fingerleafs I'd have to say that 55% is way to low to start curing: that's the temperature at which curing ends.

smoorman Here are Nebula's guidelines:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cure.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	403648

I recommend you read the whole tutorial so you know how to do it right: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            i agree my good friend, but being new at curing its just safer to maintain rh below 60 inside the jar at all times in my opinon, a bit overdried its better than roten

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            remember the curing process actually releases water as bacteria breaks down chlorophyll

It's taken around 24 hours or so for the moisture levels to balance. Typically I either throw a moisture pack from Boveda (https://bovedainc.com/) or use these 2-way jars (https://atmosiscience.com/product/pr...herbs-jar-100/). The jars are a bit small for larger grows/cures.

Comment

Curing Made Simple

Jars sux, burping sux.
            goog "Grove Bags."

Hang em till first bud snap, put em in the Grove Bag, enjoy.

-Grouchy
            My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
            I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
            Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• budguy420
              budguy420 commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you tried lb grove bags?

• grouchyoldman
              grouchyoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm about to budguy420, just got the big bags in time for another harvest.

Burping is fairly easy to do as long as you remember to do it! Personally I don't worry too much about humidity. As long as the buds don't feel papery dry they are fine in my book. Just remember that when filling the canning jar, only fill to about 70%. Shake the jar first before removing the lid when burping...it evens out the drying process.
            I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X