No announcement yet.

New grower grow blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright guys, first sign that something isn't perfect is going on. Its only on one plant, on the fan leaves coming from the first node. Thoughts? Advise? Seems super isolated, was thinking possibly magnesium deficiency but the coloration on the leaves themselves haven't changed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200523-095037_Gallery.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	784.9 KB
ID:	408273

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      the yellow tips is often a sign of overfeeding.

• MrMotion
      MrMotion commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha, its isolated so far to those few leaves. I'm leaving the coco to dry a bit longer than I usually do just to see if that helps, it hasn't spread that i can tell, and still only on one plant.

So, last night after work I took a look at the plants and felt like it was time for some LST, the first node on each side of the manifold was getting relatively long.

What I've done, is instead of 8 total growth tips, ive done 10 total, 5 per side. From the main shaft, ive done the usual node 1 and node 3 (both with two tips). Node 2, which is rotated 90 degrees from the other 2 nodes, I removed the growth tip that was facing down towards the coco but left the one that was facing up.

Two of the photos I've included mark the growth tips, one photo is from last night right after I secured them, the other was this morning after they turned up. Thoughts?

Ignore the little green things in the bottom right corner, those were left over tobacco starts that I initially trashed but a buddy wanted to stick some in his back yard. So im attempting to revive them.

Name:	Screenshot_20200525-112442_Gallery.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	409066Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200525-112523_Gallery.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	409067Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_222554.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	409065Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_222602.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	4.92 MB
ID:	409068

Comment

Just shy of 60 hours of growth.

Name:	20200527_221843.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	410251

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking happy Mr.Motion.

Thought I'd do a little update on the random extra plant I planted outdoors. It get direct sunlight for about 7 hrs, and partial for about 4, and mild mild the rest of the day. Plus its been pretty cloudy lately. But she's hanging in there!

Name:	Screenshot_20200528-181650_Gallery.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	1,016.0 KB
ID:	410580

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        She looks good to me maybe could use some grow fert. like guano or fish for a little N but she'll do fine. Have fun with her

• MrMotion
        MrMotion commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been pouring my left over water from my indoor plants, only when it hasn't rained in a while though. Might find some good fertilizer thanks!

I've determined the burnt tips to be nutrient burn, also appeared to have a little pH fluctuation. Ive been using a 5 gal buck to measure and mix my water/nutes, turns out I wasn't filling it up enough, was about 3/4 gal short of 5 gallons but I was mixing nutes for 5 gals.

I went ahead a flushed the plants with plain pH'd water last night, ill mix up new water (properly) either today or tomorrow.

I think I caught it pretty early on, doubt it'll have an noticeable effect. Also it was all only on one plant.

Name:	Screenshot_20200530-110724_Gallery.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	726.5 KB
ID:	411344Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200530-110713_Gallery.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	411343

Comment

So, its probably over kill, but here is how my set up is going. All in my 2 car garage.

3x3x6 grow tent. 600w HPS light w/ timer. 3 plants in 5 gallon fabric buckets in coco/perlite. GH nutes. pH'd water. 8in in line vivo sun 720cfm fan/filter

Before, I had a normal circulating fan inside of a tub outside of the tent. From there, I fabricated a cone to force air, using the circulating fan, into the tent from the outside. I used the tub to keep light from bouncing through the ducting and causing a light leak, probably paranoid I'm sure.

I designed, soldered, and programed an Arduino stand alone computer to monitor the temp and humidity and control the main fan. Basically, it kicks on at X temperature, stays on till X temperature then shuts back off. Save me power in the long run, as earlier in the year, the fan would only need to be on when the light was on, now its getting to were the fan is on 24/7 because it's so hot outside. Another problem is the humidity, due to the spring weather, when the light is off, the humidity goes nuts.

My solution? Well I have a window AC unit, good for 300sqft in a home, gathering dust in storage. I ordered a mini dehumidifier, a small humidifer, and an inline 4 inch duct fan (100cfm).

The plan? I'm going to rig up the AC so it only cools the tent. Basically, I have a blue tub that fits directly over the face of the AC unit, I will attach the 4in inline fan to the tub, and the 4in ducting to the fan, then to the tent. The AC will be controlled by the Arduino as well. The large fan will be programmed in conjunction with the AC and will react to temperature only. The dehumidifier and humidifier will also be controlled via the Arduino and react only to whatever humidity parameters I set. We will see I guess. This is a test for that mini dehumidifier honestly, im not sure it'll keep up.

Photos to follow

In this photo you can see the dehumidifier in the tent, mid level, circulating fan has been repositioned to the floor, and the 4in ducting inlet. The 8in ducting feeds directly into the HPS, does a really good job of removing the heat when the light is on. AC is on the bottom shelf were it remain.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200530-125838_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	545.8 KB ID:	411421
        A mild mock up of the AC and tub.

Name:	image_107409.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	411422

Comment

So the tub idea was great, except it also covered the sensor, so the AC would automatically shut off when it reached 61 degrees inside the tub instead of when my program tells it to. So, a little thinking and looking around at my garage, I was able to rig up some apple juice bottles so it wouldn't cover the sensor, worked out pretty well. On to the next issue though, after the AC and large fan kick off once the designated temperature has been reached, the humidity SPIKES. Im assuming because of condensation in the AC. I had the 100cfm drawing air directly out of the AC after it shuts off, ive since opened the other end of the juice bottle set up so try and pull in outside air instead.

I need a large dehumidifier, bad. My mini one helps but nothing significant.

Progress photo, did some LST last night, then took a pic this morning 12 hrs later showing the difference. These plants are remarkable.

Name:	Screenshot_20200601-124328_Gallery.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	412039Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200601-124341_Gallery.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	412040Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200601-124410_Gallery.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	790.8 KB
ID:	412041Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200601-124359_Gallery.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	801.9 KB
ID:	412042

Comment

Not much to report. Update photos, just letting them get bigger, trying to fill the space up and bit more before the switch.

Having a small issue with humidity, can't afford a large dehumidifier right now,, the mini helps but not a ton. Problem is my tent is in the garage, every time it opens it introduces new humid air to the tent, i dont really have a solution for that right now. Anyone else have an issue like that?

these were taken this morning.

Name:	Screenshot_20200604-190819_Gallery.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	682.3 KB
ID:	413248Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200604-190833_Gallery.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	615.3 KB
ID:	413249

Comment

Update photo, they are really going quite well. 4 plants would have been perfect for this space.

Name:	Screenshot_20200607-190227_Gallery.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	414399Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200607-190237_Gallery.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	791.2 KB
ID:	414400

Comment

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                Is hemp inherently stronger? My understanding was its basically insanely low level THC marijuana. Im using the formula from this sight, i have very very mild nutrient burn occasionally, im slowly back down the nutes.

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, it has been genetically modified for thousand of yeas (like any other crop) to produce the strongest most fibrous plants that make the biggest and most nutritious seeds. this translate into way stronger faster growing plants that can grow in more severe conditions. this whole process happened because humans used the fiber to make rope and fabric and the seeds are edible. hemp must not be confused with CDB plants, which are hybrids between hemp and regular cannabis to produce plants with regular cannabis structure (hemp makes only one branch) but without the thc, some modern breeding and you have those super tasty and fragant 20:1 CBD to THC ratio. where did you got your seeds from?

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I grow high CBD hemp flower, this strain is good for 18% to 20%ish CBD while staying under 0.3% THC. I have another strain that can reach 25% ranges.

I've been using the same exact training techniques and nutrient schedules that folks use for straight marijuana and its been working great. This strain does grow quite large it seems, but it grows very well (again.. so far).

I think im going to keep it on the veg cycle for another 4 or 5 days then switch it.

Figured I'd throw in an update on the random outdoor plant. I bent it n over 90 degrees a while back, yesterday morning I topped it, the trimmed all the fan leaves except the top set and the third to top set. Everything below that is growth tips pretty well exposed to the sun.

Name:	20200608_085922.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	414774

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                What nutrients are you using? Looking great

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually just use left over nutrient water from my indoor grow. And only like once a week or so.

This is Really some fine work you already made with these plants 👍🏻
              Totally love what you have going here. Good job, and very well HST on these plants also 👍🏻
              Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
              You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I'm really enjoying growing these plants!

Well guys, I think im out of room haha.

Name:	20200613_103200.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	5.19 MB
ID:	416604

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                What about that 4th plant LOL yep

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah haha, 4 would have been overkill. I guess with 4 I could have done the switch a lot earlier.. idk

Great photos thanks for sharing. How much water do you feed and how often?

Comment

• MrMotion
                MrMotion commented
                Editing a comment
                I water them till it get decent run off our the bottom and lately every 2 days, before it was ever 3 or so, but now they suck the water up pretty fast. Im transitioning them to flower today, ill have a good update later on.

Awesome good luck with the switch!

Comment

So it begins. Did some defoliation. Moved to a new grow shed. Switched to the HPS and 12/12.

Name:	20200616_094741.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	418073Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_212007.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	418072

Name:	20200616_182109.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	418071

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X