New grower grow blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR New grower grow blog

New grower here, 2nd grow. First grow went terrible, basically stuck them in some random pots under a 1000w LED in potting soil and watered them with nutrients that were way too strong and thats it.

This grow. 5 gallon fabric buckets. Coco coir/perlite. 3x3 Vivosun tent. 8inch Vivosun fan/ducting and carbon filter. Circulating fan. Wireless temp/humidity sensor. Programmed Arduino (controls the main fan and sends alerts). And a 600w Vivosun HPS light with the timer. Using GH nutes. And pH UP and DOWN.

Growing 3 plants. Ill post pics. I started germination on April 21st, planted into cups on the 23rd. Will probably transplant them this evening (May 5).

I don't a TON of research so I hopefully won't ask any crazy stupid questions, but no promises. I'm still doing reading on all this daily.

M.

Hi MrMotion,
    Welcome to the GWE forum.
    Looks like you should have a better grow this time. 8 inch duct fan is more then enough venting. Better too much then too little.
    That is a bit of overkill with the lighting unless you can dim it down a bit.
    Are you growing bag seed or a certain type/strain? They look to be off to a good start.
    GL with the grow.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEmad View Post
      Hi MrMotion,
      Welcome to the GWE forum.
      Looks like you should have a better grow this time. 8 inch duct fan is more then enough venting. Better too much then too little.
      That is a bit of overkill with the lighting unless you can dim it down a bit.
      Are you growing bag seed or a certain type/strain? They look to be off to a good start.
      GL with the grow.
      Actually, and I might catch some flak for this, but I'm growing Hemp. I'm a licensed hemp grower in TN, I have contacts with the local small CBD shops so I am growing for them, a buddy of mine test smokes it to insure its quality and I will test for CBD/THC content, my current job prevents me from consuming anything that may contain THC.

I also grow Tobacco (premium cigar tobacco), and have a garden etc. I love growing things and I love the community and how technical it all is.

With all that being said, the strain is called Hot Blonde, its a hybrid between Berry Blossom and T1, which are pretty popular in the hemp community.

There is basically no decent information online when searching for hemp stuff. I had my buddy (who smokes) tell me they should grow nearly identical. So once I started looking at Marijuana information it became VASTLY more helpful. People are here are scrambling for information on growing hemp, going to seminars and stuff, and here you guys are, with all the info already haha.

Edit: Also the light is dimmable to 400w or 200w and has an optional superlumens bulb/setting for flowering.
      Last edited by MrMotion; 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Transplanted them to the tent, setting on 400w HPS. Have 600w and the superlumen available if down the road I feel like I need more light. Re-did my nutes for week 2 and got the coco moist before the transplant, and watered them after as well. I germinated 4 just in case one didn't make it, you'll see the 4th just sitting there in the tent. Not sure what I'm going to do with it honestly, Im out of coco and perlite. Thinking of just sticking it in my backyard and seeing what happens..

Comment

Hey MrMotion, I just noticed that freakin awesome incubator tub you constructed! Nice! And we can deal with crazy, stupid questions..lol We may have a few for you..keep us posted on this hemp grow. And for sure put that 4th one outside..see what difference there is between tent and outdoors.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
            Hey MrMotion, I just noticed that freakin awesome incubator tub you constructed! Nice! And we can deal with crazy, stupid questions..lol We may have a few for you..keep us posted on this hemp grow. And for sure put that 4th one outside..see what difference there is between tent and outdoors.
            Thanks! I made it out of an old tubberware tub I was going to trash, actually had like 8 I was going to throw away (after moving). Ended up cutting the bottoms off them to use as trays instead. I built the lights using 2 sockets, 4 bulbs, and two 2way splitters. The plug in i had was cut off a separate light a few weeks ago that I kept. Think total cost was 23$ for the light set up. Mylar reflective is crazy cheap online. 240w worth of light from the CFLs was more than enough for those 4 plants.

Comment

• Greenlivin
              Greenlivin commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there MrMotion. Looks like you’re off to a good start. I was where you’re at not too long ago. Just for reference, instead of each cfl bulb actually pulling 60w, they pull 23w. So you’re right around 100w for the four bulbs instead of 240w. I started off with cfl and they work great for veg. Just keep an eye on the heat. Good luck!

• MrMotion
              MrMotion commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh nice I wasn't aware of that! I did minimal research on CFL wattage etc, more of what I would need per plant (bulb wise). They spent like 10 days if that under them before I transplanted. I was able to maintain an average temp of 82F

Update photo of the tent. Humidty levels with the light on are dropping to the high 30s, my only issue right now. A buddy of mine has a small humidifier I'm going to pick up this week.

My lonely 4th plant has found a home outside on the sunny side of the woods behind my house, should get plenty of light, the soil however is very thick, nearly clay like, so we will see.

Also, I've got my light just about all the way up, I don't have an easy way to adjust it. Its 600w so I figured it was supplying enough light for the 3 plants that far down, but do you guys think its still too far away?
            Last edited by MrMotion; 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Update, taken last night 5/10. Should I be completely saturating the coco at this point with my water?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200511-075241_Gallery.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	403685Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200511-075209_Gallery.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	403686
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to manifold these plants, going good so far. Before and after.

Name:	20200514_185951.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	4.79 MB
ID:	404999

Name:	20200514_190821.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	405000Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_190832.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	405001

Comment

Hey MrMotion wish I had read your posts prior to this one. Your manifold looks darn good from my angle so far Just wanted to say I had and Uncle in Cookville, Tenn. He had a massive farm raised tobacco, dairy and hogs. Man we had the time of our lives out there during summer visits. I don't know what type of
                  tobacco he grew but we sure got hot and dirty hanging it in his special barn for his harvest of it. Good luck with the hemp this year.
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
                    Hey MrMotion wish I had read your posts prior to this one. Your manifold looks darn good from my angle so far Just wanted to say I had and Uncle in Cookville, Tenn. He had a massive farm raised tobacco, dairy and hogs. Man we had the time of our lives out there during summer visits. I don't know what type of
                    tobacco he grew but we sure got hot and dirty hanging it in his special barn for his harvest of it. Good luck with the hemp this year.
                    Thanks man! Im really trying to do it right this time. I know a few from that area! I love Tennessee. We actually used a tobacco barn and tobacco sticks to hang last years outdoor crop in. Man that is no easy task, and sure hope you don't have a fear of heights haha.

I know its not what most are growing, but its essentially the same plant, and I want quality, and ya'll here seem good at that, so here I am!

I also grow tobacco for cigars, got 4 varieties this year, its fun to grow as well. I'd post photos but I don't want to violate any rules and such.

M

Comment

Clipped the fan leaves and started LST, watered them good, back to waiting.

Name:	20200516_203547.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	405855Click image for larger version

Name:	20200517_115200.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	405856

Comment

They turned back up and are growing well! Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_222550.jpg
Views:	343
ID:	406890

Name:	20200519_222547.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	406889

Comment

They are starting to stretch out more, bent them down to a more 90 degree, probably top the 2 mains again tomorrow and trim them up.

Name:	20200520_204855.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	407267

Comment

They are starting to grow RAPIDLY. I topped the mains again. I'm doing 5 growth tips per side (as show in the photo). I need to acquire some tomato rings here in the next week or so. Watered them 24hrs ago and did again just now, they dry quicker now that their roots are more formed, plus I wanted the boost for recovery.

Name:	20200521_182702.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	5.44 MB
ID:	407642Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_182604.jpg
Views:	332
ID:	407641Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200521-190550_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	407640

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X