Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to keep clones dormant/small until needed in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to keep clones dormant/small until needed in the future?

Hey everyone,

I did some googling but haven't found much on this topic.

Lets say someone wanted to produce 6-10 4" tall clones (on the small side) and keep them at around this size for an indeterminate amount of time.

The goal is to pot them in 3" with Foxfarm soil, root them, and have them sit in high humidity under a dome with minimal light until some of the clones are needed for a grow, or for selling. The clones are then removed and replaced as needed ensuring there's always enough plants for a 4-6 plant grow pretty much immediately. This would save me, and others, the time of having to wait for seedlings to grow, or for clones to root.

I'm curious what process would be necessary to keep them as healthy "2 week old seedlings" despite being potentially months old.

Keeping a rooted clone for longer than 2 weeks after roots sprout without transplanting it is a tough task. Eventually the clone needs more space to spread its roots and its nutrient needs will increase as well. In an aeroponic setup you could keep them for 4-6 weeks but it would be difficult to balance the needs of older clones and fresh cuttings. The easiest way to accomplish what you’re trying to do is to keep bonsai mother plants so that you can take the cuttings as often as you need, while rooting the clones as you need them. I have 4 bonsai mothers right now, but they’re 10” from the bottom of the pots to their top growth.
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

You could move your clones to coco in fabric pots under fluorescent lights like I did and give them just enough nutes to stay healthy - but they'll still grow. I topped all of mine once they got about a foot high.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi-Wan View Post
        Keeping a rooted clone for longer than 2 weeks after roots sprout without transplanting it is a tough task. Eventually the clone needs more space to spread its roots and its nutrient needs will increase as well. In an aeroponic setup you could keep them for 4-6 weeks but it would be difficult to balance the needs of older clones and fresh cuttings. The easiest way to accomplish what you’re trying to do is to keep bonsai mother plants so that you can take the cuttings as often as you need, while rooting the clones as you need them. I have 4 bonsai mothers right now, but they’re 10” from the bottom of the pots to their top growth.
        Bonsai? As in fancy Japanese trees? I'm not sure I have the artistic genes necessary to pull something like that off, but I'll certainly look into it!

Comment

• Obi-Wan
          Obi-Wan commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s sounds harder than it is. But definitely do the research, it’s worth it!!

if you dont keep plants growing they loose vigor and they get "lazy", when you put them back under high intensity light they just dont like it anymore and refuse to grow, im sure its different with every strain but ive had that happened to me after having clones for 4 to 6 weeks under 15 watts cfls. i must say you gotta really neglect them but it hapens. so my advice is to top and top the clones as they grow to maintain a small size (like the bonsai idea) or just take new clones when the plants get too big. just keep them growing and healthy

Comment

All of the plants in this picture are a year old, two of them are almost two years old. (Bonsai mothers)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_222147.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	400569
          I cut clones off them anytime I need and push them in to the grow cycle, perpetually.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_203054.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	400570mother's-clones-veg-flower-and repeat.

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X