Anymore soil users around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anymore soil users around?

Hi all! and thank you Nebula for a Wonderful Site, that so far has taught me some invaluable experience.

now my Question, i just finished my First grow with B&G organic soil (from local hardware store). my next grow was going to be with FFOF soil, but reading elsewhere, i learned Fox Farm was bought by another company and the soil is not the same, as i continue to read on i hear about Kind soil, BioBiz soil etc... i see on most of you guys signature that most of you guys use coco and DWC hydro, not many soil users, anyway i would like to hear from soil users that has used more then one kind of soil and help me out with my decision.

I've been makeing my own for quite some time now.Resently switched to F.F.ocean forest about a week ago (new run) I have no problems so far plants doing fine F,F, seems to drain faster then mine (a good thing)? Dries out faster too. I understand it's PH balanced at 6.5 to6.8 a+ in my book . My 2 cents peace

Comment

• Bklyndiaz
      Bklyndiaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, for your 2 cents, do you have a grow journal? i am leaning towards FFoF because i use fox farm Nutes and i was told to match nutes with dirt (which i think is B.S.) and if the PH balanced thing is true then i am all in, cause my last grow i had so serious PH problems.

I used FFOF for several years until my supplier ran out. A lady in the store suggested Roots Organics. I did and never went back to FFOF. Love it.

Comment

• Bklyndiaz
      Bklyndiaz commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, a friend told me to use RO as well, but the only reason he said was because it had coco added to the dirt and that gave it a advantage over FFOF, not sure if true.

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had any issues with Roots Organics. The pictures of my grows speak for themselves.

Do you use nutrients in your water? If so I wouldn't worry bought the soil to much but I would go with roots organic my last grow was half Coco half backyard soil and my plants came out great because I gave them wht they needed threw water if your looking to just give your plants just PhD water there's a super soil recipe on this site and I no there are growers here who use kind soil

Comment

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang. I'm glad yall mentioned this. I'm getting ready for my first grow (outdoor), and I was just planning on using a mix of kind soil,potting soil, perilte & fabric pots. So I should plan on using nutrients even if I'm using soil? If so, then how important is Ph in organic soil grows?

• Bklyndiaz
      Bklyndiaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Rooster. well Kind soil states, that the soil is "watering only" system and not to use any "extra boosters/feeds,
      optimal water PH is 6.5-6.8, but if your water source has a PH in range 6.3 - 7.0 there should no need to adjust your PH"
      this is on there website kind soil .c**
      in a couple of days im going to put the soil to the test. watering only indoors
      good luck to you sir!

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      Right On. I appreciate the clarification. Look forward to seeing your harvest.

I use Batch64 moonshine, its kinda hard to find unless you've got a good grow supply store. Google it.

Comment

I have done a entire grow in RO without any Nutes what so ever. They came out fine without any issues. I wouldn't recommend it because the buds where smaller then normal. But the point is. You CAN do it. That also shows that you don't need to feed your seedlings anything until they are about 3-4 weeks old.

Comment

I have always made my own soil. The super soil reads good, and very similar to what I do, but I call mine "Living Soil" because it is all organic compost, using litter form my chicken coop, sawdust/woodchips, wood ash, bone meal, for the most part. I add enough perlite to keep it loose, and a handful of earth worms to every 5 gal. bucket. My compost contains kitchen waste, fish waste from fishing, offal from hunting. I recycle the soil in my buckets into the compost pile after every grow. Sometimes I top dress with organic fertilizer, worm castings, cotton seed meal, molasses.
        I am not as good a cannabis grower, as many of our members,( I have been a vegetable farmer over 50 years) but still I do pretty good, plenty potent, good flavor, not as much quantity as our master growers,(you will be able to identify soon, they really stand out.) But I still get a decent amount, Soil is a good option.
        Greenie, one of the afore mentioned master growers has done amazingly well with Kind Soil and Coco Coir, should you decide to buy soil.

Comment

• St.buds
          St.buds commented
          Editing a comment
          One day I hope to own a piece of land and I would probably be doing the same thing as you what's better than recycleing your organic materials and turning it into weed

Hey welcome here grower!
        i use about half part coco coir and half fox farm ocean forest with emerald harvest nutes in grow bags in my current grow, see journal link at bottom. Good luck!
        x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

I also use a soil that I get at our local garden shop. Baccto. It worked beautifully, Our plants flourished during the veg phase without any added nutrients. I used a bloom food, low N high PK(not one of the ones advertised on this site, though that will change for next grow) every other watering during the flower cycle and once a week added molasses to the water. Never had any pH problems. I'm going to continue using this soil since Fox Farm, etc is not available in my area, and I imagine too expensive to have shipped.

Comment

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            What is the point of adding molasses? Always heard about it never really got a solid answer

• insomniaczzz
            insomniaczzz commented
            Editing a comment
            Molasses help to feed the organisms in your soil. It helps to break them down and make them more readily available to your roots. I don't think this is just a myth, but has been proven effective. While doing the flush before harvest, this is the one ingredient that you can, if you wish continue. It must be unsulfured molasses. If you can find organic molasses, even better. I used Grandmas Unsulfered from the grocery market. I do believe this is a soil only additive, though I'm not 100% sure of that. Here is a link to a great article explaining its benefits.
            For those looking to boost the quality of their soil and viability of their plants, consider using molasses as a supplement throughout the cannabis life cycle.

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome thanks for the info

I was taught to grow in Coco witch has pretty much nothing to give your plants so its up to you to give it what it needs last grow was half backyard soil half Coco first time pretty much same results will be doing it again

Comment

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            Not tht I'm talking down on the awesome soils out there just wouldn't stress about I'm very poor and do things in a very getto matter I dnt even use a carbon filter but I get great results just working on my yields at this point

• insomniaczzz
            insomniaczzz commented
            Editing a comment
            On this site, so much success using coco / perlite. I've thought of changing to it, but it scares me being in control of the nutrients. I'm worried I'll under feed or over feed and have negative results. This is just me be afraid to try something new, having had success the first go round.

St.buds, in addition to my above comment, do you use fabric pots? It seems that those using Coco also swear by the fabric pots. I have a ton of different sized buckets with the drain holes already drilled, I'd like to get more use from them.

Comment

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not the pots tht hold your water it's your growing medium if you won't it to hold water longer I would add Coco to your mix

• Bklyndiaz
            Bklyndiaz commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks, that is good to know, but when u say coco you mean coco coir right? not sure if there is any other kind.

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea Coco coir

Everyone has their style when it comes to growing do what's comfortable for you that being said With growing I feel it helps alot to keep an open mind dnt be afraid to try new things

Comment

• insomniaczzz
            insomniaczzz commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. For now I'm going to stick with soil because a month ago I bought the FF trio for soil in prep of next grow. I know that the coco is basically considered a hydro grow and so a different set of nutrients needed. Since I live in a non legal growing state non of this stuff is available locally. Must buy everything online.

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            Same thing for me too I ordered the wrong ff trio and thts what lead to my first half soil half Coco grow

I only use Roots Organic Original.
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Hi all! and thank you very much for all your input. with the help of kingfish St.buds and the information giving to me by NebulaHaze organic, amended, composted
            soil
            i have decided to do an experiment.

1- kind soil and bushdoctor coco loco in a 2 gal. fabric pot "Watering only

2- Root Organic in a 2 gal. fabric pot w/ FF trio nutrients.

now my only question is for the kind soil is TAP water exceptable for this organic grow? or should i use distilled or spring water? R.O water is out of the question for now, to expensive.

Again thank you all for your help, you guys really got my wheels turning today and i learned alot!!!!

Comment

• insomniaczzz
              insomniaczzz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the chloramine, doesn't dissipate as like chlorine. That is why I said chlorine compound, I couldn't think of the right name.

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              You could see how your plants react to your tap water before spending money on more pure water. Some people have really poor quality water, but I personally use my tap water, and lots of growers do too. If you don't see any problems, the water you have might be just fine for them!

I am so excited to see the results of your experiment! It's exactly something I would like to do! I can't wait to see pictures

• Bklyndiaz
              Bklyndiaz commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks, NebulaHaze, i have everything on order, Except, KIND soil, this soil must be made of gold....
              kind soil .com $18.00 + 23.50 shipping + tax = 55.00 WOW!
              amazon 20.00 + 14.00 shipping = 34.00
              Ebay 57.00 free shipping
              im gonna go the amazon way, for a 5lb bag

Good luck! be sure to PH whatever water you choose. Tap water will work as long as there is not to much chlorine.

Comment

• Bklyndiaz
              Bklyndiaz commented
              Editing a comment
              i was told to leave the water open for a couple of days to evaporate the chlorine? do you agree?
              also, if im using kind soil which is supposed to be like "super soil" do i have to PH the water still?

• Charlie
              Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the water will degas in an open container at room temp. Always, always, always PH anything you pour on your plants. Water, nutrients, supplants, anything, wrong PH, at best reduced absorption, at worse burned roots, stunted plant.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X