• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Yellow Leaves -- Novice Grower

Heyyy yall,

I'm new here and new to growing.

Soil: Miracle Grow
    Lights: 1 LED 32 W full spectrum grow light, 1 LED 30 W blue-enriched light, 18/6
    Watering: When soil gets dry, mist leaves about 1 time a day
    Fertilizer: I used some Fish Fertilizer 5 days ago.

So lil bit of a back story, I planted my seeds right in miracle grow soil 1 month ago (March 19th). I started off misting them and within a couple of days, 5/7 had sprouted. Things were fine for the first week until I noticed my seedlings started to get droopy and stop growing. The next week I noticed mildew growing at the bottom of my pot container, I also noticed my leaves were starting to get burnt tips and yellow starting to travel up the leaves. I sprayed a mix of milk/water on the leaves to fight the mildew. I let the pot and soil dry out for a couple of days while no new growth was achieved. When the 3rd week came around and I still hadn't seen much growth I had determined that I had been underwatering them, or at least not enough water since for the "hot-soil". I gave one seedling a hefty dose of water and noticed it had perked up within the hour, so I watered all the rest. I kept the soil pretty moist for a couple of days and then transplanted them to 1/2 gallon pot. The yellowing didn't stop, but at this point the first set of leaves we pretty dry and crispy and curled up. But it was only happening on the first set of leaves and not the others. I went back and forth between thinking it was nutrient burn or a nitrogen deficiency. That's when I added the Fish Fertilizer because it has a lot of nitrogen. I noticed my seedling really picking up in growth, and they're showing their sex! But even with all the improvements, I now notice that the newest leaves have yellow on them.

During quarantine, I've read many different forums and articles on seedling health and problems, but people have a lot of varying opinions. I know I'll need to add more light, I'm just not sure what kind and how much. I appreciate your advice on that! The pics that I've added show my plant from about the 2nd week-currently.

Thanks guys!!
    Attached Files

On my first grow too but from what I understand there's no need to give it any extra nutrients other than what's in the soil so adding the fish fertilizer may have burned them

Comment

• themag1385
      themag1385 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you ever figure out what the problem was? and were you able to harvest anything?

Howdy themag
    So my 1st thought was Miracle grow soil? Oh no. Most bagged potting soils have high Nitrogen content that can burn young pot plants leaf tips. They also have time release fertilizer which can mess you up in flower.
    The lower leaves dieing is normal & probably nothing to worry about. Slowed or stunted growth could be from Ph or other root issues. I'm sure that more knowledgeable folk will have plenty to add & will be more help than I.

Comment

• themag1385
      themag1385 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, I was iffy about it too! But the older folks close to me insisted that it wouldn't make that much of a difference lol. Next time def gonna use something else. Thanks for your input!

hey there,

had a better read through the background, and looked at the pics...

poor girls...

first: i'm a hydro DWC grower, but generally speaking the symptoms for deficiencies, or excess, will be the same.
    i have not grown in soil (yet, but who knows when...).

But even with all the improvements, I now notice that the newest leaves have yellow on them.
    If new growth is showing yellow, it'll likely be iron deficiency.

Few questions come up:
    - whats the pH of the soil? (too high pH severely impacts iron uptake)
    - possibly, is the soil is too wet... (overwatering) ?

you also mentioned "hot-soil"...
    the pics show the plant kinda 'shrivelled' up, almost dehydrated...
    i suppose that could be another reason..... the soil is almost sucking the water out of the plant... (i'm up in the clouds... i could be talking BS here... )

Here's more info to look up: https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...ron-deficiency

If you have, can you put up a fairly recent picture in natural light?

FDP

Soil growers, please correct me if i'm wrong... !
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

• themag1385
      themag1385 commented
      Editing a comment
      nahh my soil is pretty dry. I'm gonna go get a pH testing kit today and will let you know! And yeah I'll add more photos rn

themag1385- Thanks for the detailed information about what you're seeing and what you've tried. I'm no professional, but I don't think it's too late to repot these girls in some better soil. I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest but there's lots of good options. In terms of light, I usually start with CFL bulbs real close for the first 3-4 weeks. The baby plants love it and it frees up my LEDs for other things. Best of luck to you!

Comment

• themag1385
      themag1385 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah i think i might repot one of them with different soil and see what happens. if I wanted to add CFL supplementary lighting how much would you recommend I add?

• SimpleGrower12
      SimpleGrower12 commented
      Editing a comment
      themag1385 you have five plants right? 3-4 CFLs should be more than enough, just by themselves. If you are also using LEDs, you can go with a lower number. If you get ones with a color temperature of 6500K, it can help the plants grow thicker, but it doesn't matter that much.
      Last edited by SimpleGrower12; 04-21-2020, 03:11 PM.

SimpleGrower12 I'm down to 3 plants now lol. Thanks for the information about the lights, that was really helpful!

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
      SimpleGrower12 commented
      Editing a comment
      themag1385 - No worries, I'm glad it was helpful. Now that a few weeks have passed, how are things going?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X