Cheap light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap light

I need help in finding a new light source for my new seedlings. The one I have just it’s doing the job. I would like to get something from Lowe’s, Home Depot or Walmart if possible. Thanks again for all the help

I prefer a curly cfl bulb of around 14w for seedlings. I use it in an old desk lamp and can easily cover 5-6 seedlings in solo cups until they're about ready to transplant into pots.

Don't mind the mess but here's a quick shot of the babies I have going now. I've started a crapload of plants with this single 14w cfl bulb. It costs almost nothing to run, takes up very little spade and doesn't require hanging. You can set this up anywhere.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Seedling station.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	688.3 KB
ID:	396004

They're fine under this light until they're about this big. The measuring cup is in the photo to illustrate how I water from the bottom once they're growing to encourage downward root growth without soaking the whole cup. I just fill the measuring cup up about halfway and gently dunk the cups in it and allow the water to seep in through the holes I've made.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	watering solo.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1,023.3 KB
ID:	396005

Comment

I've looked & looked but can't find a curly CFL bulb anywhere. Where did you find yours?

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought LED bulbs git too hot?

• FunkyButtLovin
        FunkyButtLovin commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't used them myself but I know a guy who has been growing for years with nothing but a bunch of clamp lights and led bulbs. I think he uses the 20w bulbs and even with 10 burning in a closet it doesn't get very warm.

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        👍 Cool.

I have to go with t5's. I've done some great vegging with 2 - 2' lights. The picture is of my first grow with t5's, and what it became under a 300w LED. I eventually went up to 3 - t5 lights.
      Last edited by Gingerbeard; 04-16-2020, 03:29 PM.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        I veg with T5s too. They do the job. I'd like to up my recent success rate with seedlings so I went lookin for CFL.

Thanks for all the great info. I will continue to look into the CFL bulbs. I may just go with that instead of the shop light I have.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X