Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!-What critter is this? Also: should I toss plants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!-What critter is this? Also: should I toss plants?

Hi all!

First post here about my first grow.

I noticed a bug on one of my cloth pots and want to know what it is. I've included a picture from far, a close up as well as another of my thumb on the pot for scale. Also, I found some white stuff under a leaf; however, it might be diatomaceous earth that got on the top of many leaves previously and has lingered from when I attacked the fungus gnats.

Pictures are included here:

Also, Should I toss the plants?

Background:

I'm 5 weeks into 3 crop king auto dwarf low fliers (flowering) and 3 weeks into a plant of the same strain (veg), all from seed. All 4 plants are in 2 gallon pots. 3 flowering plants should theoretically be done in mid May and the other at the end of May. Using an ikea vuku tent as I want to start slow and cheap rather than sink a tonne of $ to find out I suck at growing and am stuck with expensive equipment. Seen other people use it. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/vuku-wa...hite-80331973/ Using two fans and leaving the door sufficiently open to allow for ventinllation. So this is like a 'test grow' (which I appear to be failing at miserably lol) HLG 100 V2 Led light, organic soil, Gaia Green Bloom Nutes for the oldest 3 plants. I've used it once so far as per instructions. I'm in the Northern Hemisphere (Canada).

Without going into excruciating detail: Problems other than the mystery bug include: 1) Holes in leaves that appear to be bites from potentially larger bugs than the one in the picture possibly? I've seen a stink bug or 2 in prior winters in the attic room where I've set the grow in, so maybe it's them? 2) I've overwatered the plants. The fungus gnats have been dealt with via proper watering and neem oil; however, it looks like root rot is slowly but steadily creeping in..Plants don't seem to be as thirsty as they should be...So I might ditch it all and start over...or not..?

Included are pictures of the 4 plants:

My friend has lent me a tent to potentially use, which would hopefully protect the plants from larger creepy crawlies (i.e., possibly stink bugs?); however, if the bug I've spotted is a spider mite or something else that'll fuck up his tent, I don't want to use it! This is all provided I don't just toss the poor plants out rather than watch them die a slow death before harvest...

The tent:
    https://gagrowtent.com/collections/g...for-1-2-plants

Maybe I should just toss all the plants out to prevent further infestations inside the house regardless?

For instance, we are germinating some vegetable seeds for our outdoor vegetable garden a floor below and would hate to multiply stink bugs' populations (or other critters) as they appear to like munching of seedlings..aaaand to boot, maybe the medicinal plants are goners anyhow..

Alternately

Maybe there is hope and the borrowed tent will help keep the big bugs out and the bug in the photo is not such a big deal..

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if there's too much info or not enough in this post.
    Last edited by MaxR; 04-07-2020, 11:28 PM.

By the looks of it I would say it’s nothing to worry about. To be able to see spider mites you need a jewler Loop so if your taking those with your phone I don’t think they are spider mites. Looks more like a beneficial mite or just a regular spider. Keep an eye on the leafs make sure they are not being eaten. In flower there is not much you can do but start over unless you don’t mind smoking buds that have been sprayed

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      If you do have to spray- Safer brand 3 in 1 claims to be safe all through flowering....... I ain't gonna risk it myself. & plus I'd rather not spray moisture directly onto something I'm tryin to keep dry n free of mold n such but just so's you know. Do with that what you will 🤠

Thank you! In terms of the health of the plants re: root rot-> Do any or all of these plants look like they will make it unitl mid May? If so, any advice?

Comment

• Jordann
      Jordann commented
      Editing a comment
      They look overall healthy, good color not too stretched out. Keep a close eye on the bugs. With newer phones we can get pics that rival a loupe with the monopod I have and picture editing.

Jordann wow so your phone is capable of taking pics of microscopic insects? What phone is that?i have an old iPhone sure can’t see any thing like that on leafs.

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see trics at only 3x magnification on my phone too but you need 60x or better to see spidermites among other things.

• Jordann
      Jordann commented
      Editing a comment
      Huawei p20 pro. 40 megapixel camera

Thanks for the input!
    If I put these 4 Crop King dwarf low flier autos into a 2'x2'x4' tent, (pots are 2 Gallons) would I need to buy a fan? I was originally thinking of this https://www.growlights.ca/4-inch-fan-filter-kit.html with a speed controller; however, I'm thinking it might not be necessary for such small plants in a small tent in small air pots. Would rather not have to get; however, I'm mortified of people being able to smell it from the street. That would make me very uncomfortable as stealth is desired! I was thinking of possibly keeping the ventillation socks open somehow or, somehow some other way though another venting hole, getting airflow without letting light out or bugs. For instance, I could take a plastic screen used for screen doors and tape it to the inside of tent, (or put some open-ended cylindrical tube insude the vent hole and use rubber bands to attach the plastic screen to the vent tube) to discourage larger bugs from getting in. I would continue to run the 2 regular, non oscillationg fans on clips (i.e.; the kind of fan you use when you are hot, not like inline fans.) If this would work, how much air flow should I account for? One or two 4" holes? Thoughts?

I should add: I would hope to keep the window to the street closed; however, would that even make much difference in terms of smell out on the street with this tent with no fan and filter combo? So: on the one end: No fan or filter, window occasionally open: Good or bad. Other end of the spectrum: Fan and filter combo needed even if the window to the street remains close.

Sorry if I'm rambling somewhat.
    Last edited by MaxR; 04-08-2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• MaxR
      MaxR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks JDU for the clarification. I added one 6" fan (common house ventilation fan, not industrial grow tent fan) and rested it on top of the borrowed tent. So far so good..on that front at least..except now it looks like I may have hermies on my hands...not sure..wow first grow blues..

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothin wrong with that. I'm using household fans from Goodwill for everything except for a 4in inline exhaust runnig 24/7 in each tent. Wind tunnels exhaust turn on with the lights.
      Hang in there- it gets better! & hermied weed will smoke so all is not lost

• MaxR
      MaxR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the pep talk, JDU! Sorry, missed your last message! Miraculously, they did not herm out. I'm entering the harvest window and the smell in the grow room is definitely..shall we say 'noticeable' but contained within the room.The 3 household fans are holding out fine in my 2x2x4 space. (2 inside, 1 as an exhaust.)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X