Removing individual leaves to let light in question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing individual leaves to let light in question

Hi all! This is my first grow. I think my amnesia haze is doing pretty well after a slow start and some learning. I have a few questions that aren't explicitly answered anywhere I look. 1: is it a no no to remove individual leaves from plants? I've started removing only one leaf from a cola only when it's blocking light from new growth underneath. I don't want to overdo it so I limit myself to only one side and leaving its opposing leaf alone. Am I on the high road to honking up my harvest? The other question is 2: I can't find any sensamelia (spelling?) seeds anywhere. Is that still a thing. I'm rather old and miss that buzz for abt 40 years now. Thank you

Baddaddy - I'm a new grower so take this with all the salt you can find.

I do the same thing; trim leaves to ensure that light s getting to the new growth below the top buds. I still have to do this even with LST (Low Stress Training). I've done this with autos and it definitely stunts growth for a week or 10 days but then they bounce back. Just don't cut of leaves too early and make sure the plant is healthy enough to handle the stress.

I THINK sensimilla is just a term for weed that has no seeds. All female, all bud. I've never heard of a strain called sensimilla but I know what you're talking about. I'm an old fart.... If I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to set us straight. HTH.

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Its Spanish- Sin semillia. Sin- none. semillias- seeds.
      Edit- Without would be a better translation for sin (pronounced seen) here.
      Last edited by JDU; 04-08-2020, 04:42 PM.

The word Sensimilla, means no seeds. Grow a female, keep the boys out, you got sensimilla. Also if you're going to join the party and start growing your own look at the tutorials under growing basics and grow weedeasy.com. A great way to kill time whilst locked down,and treasure trove of info. Hell I'm still finding new ones that I skipped the first few dozen times through.
    Last edited by PRIMO; 04-07-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Welcome Baddaddy sensimilla I think is how it's spelled. But anyhoo it just means " female " and that use to be full of seeds use to burn my car seat all the time as a teen LOL popping and snapping. Hey i'm old LOL and that buzz well it's around just what type of feeling are you looking for? Sativa more active energy higher and Indica more relaxing. Now if your in a legal state some dispensary sell clones you can ask them all about the strain those budtenders if their not too high LOL will tell you. But this indoor or outdoor takes some time to learn about the needs of the plant. There are some seed sellers like Seedsman or MSNL they are listed on this site. There's some strain called " old skool " yes I think it's spelled that way. Some times if you google ask that question.

No it's OK to remove leaf that block budsite like inside branches towards center of plant. Look through this site lots of help in the tutorials simple easy reading well explained. We sure like photos of plants to help you if you could post those also. We say some funny shit around here but it's all in line with keeping the stress level down right now so don't fear this and ask all the questions you want. Glad to have you here and Welcome to the forum
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks Guys! Your answers are very helpful. My Amnesia Haze is about a month from switching I think. I've been using LST and topping. They just get bushier. I'll keep doing what I'm doing although I should probably stop topping this batch. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure how to get a pic to this virtual machine I use on a VPN. Growing is frowned upon here where I live.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Baddaddy Welcome to the forum: I'm just seeing this. Using LST, which I'm doing as well, there's no way around trimming off leaves. Nebula's rule of thumb is No more than 20% per plant per week, but I can never get away with that. The leaves start sweating on each other and blocking too many bud sites.

So it's kind of a dance between keeping the growth going strong and avoiding problems like mildew and too much leaf transpiration (which creates more humidity).

Here’s a pic of one of the autoflowers I’m currently growing under a LED I wasn’t using. This is my first time growing autoflowers and I was shocked by how small they were when they started to flower which was followed by disappointment at the potential yield so I removed all of the big fan leaves blocking bud sites below the main cola. I’ve read not to do anything to auto’s because they’ll go into shock yata yata yata. Well here’s proof that if your plants healthy, defoliation can be a good thing on auto’s or regular plants. Just be careful not to harm the plant, snip as close to the stem as possible and make sure your knife or snips are sterile. Good luck and happy growing!
        Attached Files

Comment

I trim my autos to expose bud sites.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            bboyfromwayback commented
            Editing a comment
            Which strain is that beauty?

Don't be shy to take the scissors to her. I started like that. Leaf here leaf there. Now I'm at this point and no stunt or problems with them. But work at it within your comfort zone.
          Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
          sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
          4 plants currently under 500w
          2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
          GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
          Happy growing/consuming 🥴
          Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

Originally posted by quirk View Post
            I trim my autos to expose bud sites.
            nice one ..

Comment

Franklinmiller Thank you. bboyfromwayback Auto BlueBerry Domina

Comment

Thanks! I’m 5wks into my first grow using auto’s, C4 and Fastberry. The C4’s are finally looking promising but the Fastberry’s are so flipping tiny. I’ll check that one out for sure if I try auto’s again

Comment

Don't be go ascared go ahead and, butcherem, they'll snap back so fast you'll never know what happened.

Comment

• Jordann
                    Jordann commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You got er here..

Baddaddy check out this page for some good info on defoliation https://www.growweedeasy.com/nebulas...-tutorial-2020

Comment

Did I tell you guys that "I love you" yet today?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can feel it LOL

Here is a picture of mine I stripped her down about 4 days ago and she is filing in real nice

Comment

• Jordann
                      Jordann commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good hair cut. Not too intense.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X