2x2 tent WAY too HOTT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL 2x2 tent WAY too HOTT!!

HiπŸ‘‹πŸ½πŸ‘‹πŸ½β˜ΊοΈ looking for any suggestions on how to cool down a 2x2 grow tent? My current setup is one fan at the top one fan in the bottom, a small dehumidifier, spider farmer light 600w. The Current temp 91 wayyy to hot, right?? I haven't put my seedlings in there yet... I wanted to get my temp right 1st... Which i think should be 78 for 2 plants?? Im going to be growing in FFO soil πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š I dont really have room for a big ac unit sooo not sure how to fix that.

600w sounds like a lot to me. I've been told to shoot for 35- 50w / sq ft. If 2x2 is 4 sq ft then you need 200w for a 2x2 tent. That might contribute. How tall is the tent? 3ft is gonna be a lot hotter than 7ft.

Comment

• Jordann
      Jordann commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm just over 60w per sqft. And I'm removing some supplemental lighting to add another 440watts of led should bring me into the high 70s per sqft. But wouldn't go much higher than that in my 4x4

• Greenlivin
      Greenlivin commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t tell if you’re trying to be funny or what JDU. His math seems right to me...

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh. It's gone. Someone said 2x2 is 2 sq ft. I was high enough I doubted myself.

You got an exhaust system? Also with a small tent like that you might want to get a small fan for an air intake at the bottom to pull air in from the bottom. Let's say your exhaust is on the top left. You want to put the air intake on the bottom right. I have a 2x2 also(was my first tent. Had alot of hope) but temperature was always a problem when I put two 300w LEDs trying to get more yeld. So I ditched it for a 4x4 for growing and the 2x2 became a clone tent.

Im not sure if I answered your question but if you don't have an exhaust fan with a carbon filter on top that might be causing your temperature problems.

Comment

I agree 600W may be a little overkill for a 2x2x4' tent. Also I noticed your light is really low. The closer it is to the floor the hotter it will be under the light so keep that in mind. I have 2 flat panel LEDs in my 2x2 but they are set as high as they'll go. Not even sure what the wattage is supposed to be equivalent to but I think each one only pulls 15W from the wall. As far as ventilation, I have a 4" fan (no filter) with a sock over the end to keep the light out. And I have a small 5" fan for circulation. Stays pretty cool in there honestly. Haven't had to worry about heat so I don't know exact temperature. Also keep in mind everything you run in there will create heat. So if you have 2 fans, one for intake and one for exhaust, the intake one is creating extra heat and probably isn't really necessary to begin with. Also keep in mind your room temperature will affect your tent's inside temperature so if it's 80 degrees in your house, that's what your tent will usually start around and go up from there. Hope that helps.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dphipps1020; 03-29-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Greenlivin
        Greenlivin commented
        Editing a comment
        If you’re getting that kind of growth with 30 watts that’s impressive. Curious what kind of yields you get...

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        Still working on the yields honestly. Finally got the quality down though I think. That tent I use for seedlings and clones only right now. Lately though I've considered taking a couple ladies through till harvest just to see what yields I can get from those lights. Apparently I was wrong on the wattage, they're 45W each. This is the light I have https://www.ebay.com/itm/331908620947

hey OuuiiHazzii , i think Wannabebotanist23 has your answer..you should probably vent your tent.. Something like a 4"fan/filter combo sucking air out of the top vent, and open one of the bottom vents fro fresh air in. I think that will drop your temps considerably.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Absolutely , vent the tent. Without venting my tent hits 90+ in a few hours... with venting only 67 and as low as 64

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          I open my flaps when the lights are on. Tell em good mornin when I open it up & tuck em in softly as the lights go out. Keeps it under 85.

Whew! Y'all had me goin there!! πŸ™ƒ

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Good ole Redneck rithmehtik!!!! 🀠🀣

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          JDU, you’ve got a powerfully good sense of humor.... when this is over, we should do somtin”

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Farmall
          & that sounds like a plan for sure!

Thanks so much for all those great suggestions!!!! !my tent height is 4 feet so it's two by two by four. I am looking into exhaust fans but since I'm a newbie at this I'm not too sure and I don't want to buy a over price one for such a small. I was looking at the RAXIAL S4, INLINE BOOSTER FAN 4-INCH but im not sure if its the right fan to purchase. I also saw just INLINE FANS from AC INFINITY for 89.99..Amazon had some for 30 but I think it's plastic and I'm sure those will break in a few months. ​​​​​​

but I think you guys are alright because I don't have room for a AC unit soooo options are limited.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          4” Booster fan will not be enough to remove that much heat. Try a centrifugal fan instead.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          If your like many people who enjoy the gardening aspect, you’ll use it for a fair amount of time to come... check out Amazon, they do area few expensive copies similar to AC Infinity...which is plastic

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't worry about it bein plastic- unless ya plan on kickin it across the room....

Thanks! Ill check Amazon i really don't planning on kickin it around lol just need that shyt to last at least a year .Lol

Comment

The only thing I have to add to the above is that if you don't need the dehumidifier.....and at this early stage you may not unless its more than 60%_ then turn it off. A dehumidifier will ad heat to your room. You should definitely vent that tent and maybe bring in some colder air from outside if possible?
          My grow space is only 4x6x8 and with my lights and a larger size dehumidifier and the heat set at 60 degrees F I still have to crack the window to keep the room temp at about 75 F when the lights are on. And I'm growing in the land of Northern Lights and Matanuska Thunder F*** ! Cheers and get growing!
          Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
          liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Update on my tent!!! I got the AC Infinity 6 inch exhaustion and so far... I went from 91 down to 81 degrees in a fee hours. So I think it's working, humidity is at 40 WHICH i think I'm going to have to buy humidifier to bring it up but I think it's working. And I was able to get a discount on the fan because I went on YouTube and got one of those coupon codes those reviewers always giving out

Comment

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              40% Rh ain't bad at all. With the furnace goin mine rarely got higher than 30 at night this Winter.

check your local supply the ones around here have used stuff cheap

Comment

40% RH is not bad with lights on. You may find you need that dehumid when you get to flower. I found out real quick I needed one when RH was 90% on day 1 of 12/12.
              Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                The lowest it got was 11% lights off. These days I'm at 50 ish now that we don't have the furnace goin full time & the Oregon rains are picking back up.

Great, im not gonna worry about the RH then i was reading around and saw 40 to 70 is ideal so ill see how it goes.
              Has anyone calibrated a PH reader with distilled water? With all this covid 19 stuff going on i literally can only find bottle spring or purified water, but the directions say distilled FML

Gluteous i definitely have a dehumidifier just in case
              ​​​​​​
              JDU i live in the south so my humidity is normally crazy high in general but trying to keep humidity high and temps low to med is a big learning curve for a newbie like me.

Current Grow: Auto white widows
              FFO
              Last edited by OuuiiHazzii; 04-04-2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that what the directions say?
                Nope, I never use distilled water for anything with my ph meter. Deionized water to clean, KCL solution to store the bulb in, and buffer solution to calibrate. I don’t think distilled is ever recommended due to the mineral content.

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                Humid & hot. Yeah I feel for ya.
                I got one of those Ph pens that give 3 packages & say to use distilled water to calibrate. I should probably do that. The drops aren't nearly as accurate

Yeah, it sounds like i have one like JDU I have 3 packets and i think im supposed to use distilled water but we literally have none in the whole county i have been to so many places looking for a week but only spring and purified bottled water . But i dont want to mess it up. ..im not sure what Deionized water is but I'm pretty i cant find that either lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X