Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water temp? Soil

Well- soil*ish but I digress.
    My question then is does the water temp make a difference when you feed in soil? I was about to feed & I noticed how cold the jug felt in my hand. Mind wandered off & thought if the plants are sitting in 75-85° then the decaying wood & manure etc insulated by the soil must have the roots ambient temp much higher.... I wonder if I'm shocking them with each fast drop in temperature? Any thoughts?

Good question! I have always tried to use room temp water. I am curious about this now.
    Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
    Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
    Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
    2 small 6" fans
    Promix HP
    GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

You can definitely shock them if it's too cold. I'm not sure where the threshhold is but I've given mine pretty cold water before and noticed no ill effects. I try to let my tap water come up to room temp in winter but when I'm in a hurry and it's really cold, I add some warm water when I fill up to prevent shock.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        To cold will shock them, like FBL, said above i just use room temperature tapwater, for indoor plants, MsRiver water for outdoor plants, it's usually kinda cool in Spring, but it ain't cold, down here.

Even with tropical plants my wife will put ice cubes into the pots, and let them do a gradual melt with no ill effects.

Comment

I think they will be just fine JDU.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Temperature and time are the factors we should be monitoring. A short blast of cool (50F) water then right back up to normal ambient temps is all good. Now if the roots were consistently exposed to 50F that would cause major problems.
          ...and on the other hand warm water (78F) will carry less dissolved oxygen in it. So that makes for better breeding grounds for anaerobic bacteria. That’s also no good.
          I give my indoor and outdoor plants straight up tap water, I used to leave it out to become ambient temperature, but straight out from the tap never caused any issues for me growing inside or out doors.
          The only time I let he water sit out and become ambient is with my seedlings and newly rooted clones. I would assume that would be ok as well in cool water, but I have not tried that one out yet.
          Last edited by Toker1; 03-28-2020, 01:47 PM.
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X