This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next level cloning

Tissue culture is used extensively in the plant growing industry. Not really so much in cannabis. This guy breaks down the difficulties. Hopefully someone will get something out of this. Mr.furley been a while since I seen your posts. Hope you are doing well.
    Tags: Tissue Culture, Propagation, CultivationMark Jordan presents "Cannabis Tissue Culture and Germplasm Storage" at CannMed 2019.After starting off in 1902...
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Yes Toker1 this is next level cloning.

There is a couple good YouTube videos of some big level cannabis company's using this method, petri dish cloning.

I ran across a home kit a few months back.

Thanks for checking in my friend I am here, my plate is just really full ATM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I read an article about this in one of my grow magazines and I am intrigued. Not sure when I'll have the cash to dive into it, but I definitely have the time now.
      ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

Yeah. Seems like a new technique to learn.
        I was hoping to store genetics more long term with out physically adding to the legal plant count. Now, it seems like figuring out what hormone cocktail for which strain is most beneficial will be a new learning curve. Creating a sterile environment to store the specimens in is another challenge. Cool method though. The future is now!

Comment

• Korn
          Korn commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. It’s called seeds.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          No... it’s not called seeds. Please read up on pheno type selection. I have plenty of seeds on hand, that’s not the issue. Takes time to find that right one if you know what you are doing. I don’t want to have to go through that process when I to find that prized pheno every time I want to grow a new strain. Takes way to long. Plus legally speaking, I am limited to 6 plants. So popping a few seeds cuts into my harvest capabilities.
          So how would you recommend storing that killer pheno on a particular strain with out having to pop like 5 seeds and grow them each out to find that keeper?

OK glad you asked. I would make a regular clone of the mother phenotype you wish to preserve. I would treat branches of this clone with either colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate in the early stages of flowering. This treatment will prevent ethylene production and will facilitate the production of feminized pollen that is then used to pollinate the female flowers on your clone. The seeds you produce will be genetically identical to your coveted mother phenotype since no outside genetic material was used for the pollination. Basically the plant pollinated itself with its own female pollen. If these seeds are grown out the result with be a female genetic copy of the mother the clone was obtained from.
        If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• Korn
          Korn commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck toker1. Seems like you have all the answers. No need to ask anyone about what you are already convinced is the truth. Carry on.

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          To be fair- Korn - Toker1 didn't ask a question. He shared some interesting research. You went a little off topic with your well meant but slightly misinformed alternative. He is right- you need to do a little more research in the genetics field. The attitude helps me see how bad I looked when I spouted off blind drunk.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Korn thanks. I’m always open to learning something new. Hence to why I posted this video in the first place. You should check it out for yourself sometime. It’s quite informative.

Also, if you believe that a rooted tissue culture plant does not count as a plant, you may want to check up on that. It does. Any part of a cannabis plant with a root is considered a plant. Seedlings, rooted clones, micropropagated tissues with roots, air layers, etc. Unless you have some plan or way of collecting tissues from your prized phenotype and then holding them in some form of suspended animation until your ready to root them, then I’m not sure whether your plan would help you preserve the pheno without violating the 6 plant limit.

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          That would depend on your State laws. I can have up to 4 plants in flower & all I want waiting their turn. Oregon understands SOG perpetual harvest.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          In CA, last time I checked, a plant was only counted if it was rooted. Not sure if that is still that case, but you can keep un-rooted TC samples that would not count as rooted plants (according to that particular standard). Did you bother to watch the video in the link? This information about keeping un-rooted samples was very clear.
          Last edited by Toker1; 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM.

JDU Thanks. You know..We all had to crawl before we walk. Nothing wrong with that. This is a great place to learn new things is you are willing to.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Naw. Not at all. I appreciate anyone telling it like it is.

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Wasn't talkin bout you hahaha

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol. 😎

Watched the video. Maybe you should’ve posted this in Growing Weed Difficultly. So much time, so many pitfalls, so many unknowns, so much up front costs, so many microbes that can mess things up, so many chances that you will fail. Why? So you can preserve some sacred phenotype fo a few extra months. I’m a KISS kinda person. I like to grow cheap n easy. If I find a pheno I like I grow a bunch of it, jar it up, and freeze it. Of course I save some SEEDS too in case I have to go to all that trouble, and expense, and time, and effort to find it again. At least I’ll save a lot of money. Carry on y’all. I kinda like growin weed easy. But if you like spending your time in a lab and playin with tissue cultures more power to ya. Seems like overkill if you just growin some smoke.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not for everyone, but turning one branch into thousands of clones has plenty of value lol. In terms of buying a thousand seeds or purchasing a small home tissue culture lab for under $200...your point is penny wise but pound foolish.

I make my own seeds. One plant can make thousands of seeds for free. What are you going to do with thousands of clones? I thought you were limited to 6 plants. Go for it dude. Show us how it works out for ya. And for you JDU, Toker1 did ask a question and I answered him. Go back and read what he posted at 12 pm.

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          1000 seeds. Each one an individual. NOT an exact duplicate.
          As for me.... lmao. Oh son.... Well I do see a question leveled at you only- more of a facetious taunt than question- but that was after your off topic & smart assed yep it's called seeds comment.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          You are going off on a tangent now. Some people need thousands of clones. Some people want rapid phenotype availability. Either way, value is there...even if you are not able to see it.
          I’m sure your thousand seeds, that are not properly bred for stabilized traits, are great for growing cheap shit. Those generic lottery seeds have no value. Eventually, you will end up tossing them in the trash once you reach the level of understanding I am currently discussing here. It’s hard to know what you don’t know.
          The methods you describe here lack some basic knowledge that will improve the quality of your final product. You have a lot to learn about phenotypes vs genotypes and back crossing your strains to stabilize specific genetic traits in your seeds.
          And nothing is free... not even cheap seeds. The plant maintenance and care costs money. If you are growing indoors, light costs money. I’m not sure who exactly you think you are fooling here, but you chose the wrong individual today. Been growing this plant since you were just a stain on your father’s bed sheets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	191
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	388019

​

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X