3rd Grow - Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 12
    Thinned out the middle of Athena and Beverly. Didn't take any big leaves. Noticed that Athena had another leaf with brown spots. Looked at the GWE library and decided the issue was a Calcium deficiency. Used a turkey baster to draw the water out of Athena's individual reservoir and replaced with fresh PH'd water properly dosed with Cal-Mag. None of the others are showing any problems. Will monitor

April 13
    Put 18L in the Rez dosed with Generoot PH set to 5.9 Temps 70-76 RH 45-50% Light set at 26”

April 14
    Have a better handle on temps and RH. Daytime temps 70-75F RH 45-50%

April 15
    Temps 70-75 RH 45-50%
    Looked in on the girls to see how Athena reacted to the Cal-Mag. Was surprised to see lower leaves on three plants turning yellow. And all of the girls look pale, like lime green. Looked at these articles, https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...gen-deficiency and https://www.growweedeasy.com/why-cannabis-leaves-yellow and determined that I have a Nitrogen deficiency going on. So, drained the individual reservoir of each plant and refilled with PH'd water and N in the form of CX Horticulture Growth Enhancer 11-0-0 mixed at 1ml/L. Trying to get by with running my water through a filter and letting it sit for 24 hours before putting it in the rez. I think I may have killed the enzymes in the super soil. Maybe that's why I've thought they have been kind of growing slowly.

How long before I will know if the plants are using the N? Cause I'm wondering if I should change out the rez with fresh water and some nutes? Growing thus far with nothing but water and super soil I'm also wondering if my girls have just used up the nutes in the soil?
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
      I thought I'd try a grow log because I'm using an Autopot system and I want to share the experience in the event it is beneficial to someone else. My grow set up is listed below in the signature area. Germination...starting off in familiar territory, not saying I did/do everything right, but it worked. This part of the log goes through March 1. I'll add more over the next few days.

Feb 27
      8:00pm Dropped 5 Strawberry Cough seeds by ILGM in room temp water

Feb 28
      Transferred into Rapid Rooters at 6:00pm – 22 hours in the water. A few of the seeds were showing tails Temps 72-74 F RH 25%

Feb 29
      Watered the Rapid Rooters with room temp PH'd water. Temps 72-74 RH 29%

March 1
      Moistened the Rapid Rooters at 6:00pm - All 5 seeds have popped up, look viable and are growing, even the runt seed. Not bad considering I've had these seeds for 10 months. Began running a T5 light about 2” above the plants. Temps 72-74 RH 28%
      nice good luck for your 3rd grow...

Comment

RE: April 15 Post

I'm working through what I believe to be an N deficiency. My girls are displaying yellowing big leaves on the lower part of the plant. I've read several tutorials, have fed the plants, and have added CX Growth Enhancer to the rez water, to try and correct the problem. How long do I wait to see if what I am doing has a noticeable effect on the plants?
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4

Comment

• JohnEmad
          JohnEmad commented
          Editing a comment
          If the problem persists or gets worse and adding more does not work then I would suggest a flush which is contrary to autopot recommendations. I have had ph lockout a couple times with coco/perlite and Remo Nutes.
          I flushed until the water ph'd at a decent level and ppm/ec dropped . Then I watered through with a weak nute solution and started up the res as per usual. Pain in the ass but it saved my plants.
          Not sure with living soil.
          Hope it improves in the next few days.

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx JohnEmad...flushing sounds like the next step, if I have to. When you flushed your plants did you take the pots out of the tray to catch the runoff?

• JohnEmad
          JohnEmad commented
          Editing a comment
          yup, I take them out and place in a tub to catch the run off. makes checking ph/ppm easier.

April 16
        The change in rez water seems to have helped a bit. The plants appear to be less droopy. Still concerned and did some more research about nutrient deficiency. https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...ium-deficiency

April 17
        I decided to try a Magnesium supplement. Epsom Salt mixed 1tsp/gallon. 12 ounces in each pot's rez.

April 18
        Did a lot of reading on GWE about nutrient deficiencies. Watched some videos, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMBc1TruMOw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SotrCwqfHo very helpful

April 19
        Switched out the water in the rez. Added Epsom salt to the solution 1tsp per gallon PPM of the rez water was 920 after mixing, cut it with tap water to 800ppm. PH holding at 5.9 Temps 70-74 Raised the RH to 60% The girls appear to be responding to the added nutrients. Their color has changed from lime green to a darker shade. The yellowing of the lower big leaves seems to have stopped.

Calamity Jane is doing well gave her some nutes today FF Big Bloom Grow Big Epsom salts dosed at recommended rate She has bugs. Spraying with Neem Oil. Will monitor

April 20
        4 weeks 5 days into Veg
        No more creeping yellow on the lower leaves of any plant. All have a healthy color. I think treating the N, Calcium, and Mg deficiencies was a success. Now to more closely monitor.

April 21
        Thinned out the middle of all the plants. Removed some of the lower growth that wasn't getting much light. Left the yellowing big leaves for the time being. I plant to do another trim about the 2nd or 3rd week of flower.

Comment

• JohnEmad
          JohnEmad commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you found the right course of action. it does take research and careful observation to figure things out sometimes.
          Way to go!

Very good grow diary! Im looking into some autopots myself. Will follow along.
        Indoor grow. LED, Soil. Autos.

Outdoor grow. Autos, fem's, bagseeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...944-grow-diary

Comment

April 25
          Changed plans Having trouble controlling RH. Thinned out some more from the middle of the plants. Took off all the yellowing leaves. Added a small tower fan in the tent to blow a gentle breeze though the canopy.

April 26
          I may have a bit of nute burn or light burn going on. I added 18L of clean PH'd water to the rez and put 12oz of clean PH'd water in each plant's reservoir. I didn't want to totally flush because of the deficiencies I had going on, so I opted to lighten the solution in the res instead, not sure I am thinking correctly about that.

April 28
          6 full weeks of veg. Making the switch to 12/12 tomorrow. I ran the lightened solution until the next time to add water, then I only dosed with about 75% of the recommended nutrients. I've tried to keep the light a little above 24” as much as possible. Ended up buying a room dehumidifier for my grow room. With the grow room AC set at 72 and the dehumidifier set at 50% that results in a tent temp of 74 and RH 58-62%. I can live with that. So far, even with the deficiencies, the plants have filled the tent very nicely. I like the way topping the plants has helped maintain a somewhat level canopy.

Treated Calamity Jane with Neem Oil again. Apparently, the first time I didn't add enough soap as an emulsifier and only sprayed her with water. The bugs must of liked it. The second treatment I made sure to mix things right, and she got a full bath, top of the leaves, bottom of the leaves, under, and all around.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1089.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	399610
          During flower will be using CX Horticulture nutrients, Growth Enhancer (2 wks only), Mighty Bloom Enhancer, and Head Masta.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking thick in there lots of big fan leaf. You getting droplets on the leaf?

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi SoOrbudgal...only saw a couple of sweating leaves...but that was enough to do some thinning...probably could use some more. I was planning to flip the switch and then defoliate during the second week of flower...but maybe sooner?

April 29
          12/12 (flower) light schedule begins 0700-1900

May 1
          Filled the rez with 18L of PH'd water and flower nutes. Going to have to defoliate sooner than I intended. The tent is full. Beverly has found her next gear. She has become the tallest plant after lagging behind for weeks. Hattie has perked up as well. Haven't seen any other signs of stress or nute issues. Athena and The Queen are also looking good.

Bought some ladybugs for Calamity Jane. Neem oil hasn't deterred the bug that is eating her leaves. If that doesn't help next up is spinosad thx Rwise for the tip.

Grow shop gave me a sample of NorCal 86 foliar spray for mites and mold. Have not applied that yet. I've put up a couple of pics of Calamity Jane's leaves...help?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            WoW @gofnrl already got bugs in the garden bummer. Kinda looks like what I got last season on one of mine. I removed the leaf. But I put mine in containers outdoors on blocks and I will put " deadline" around the ground of the container to stop tiny slugs or rolly polelys from crawling up them pots. Man your tent is looking thick keep a good eye on them for WPM just a warning will robinson

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thx for the reminder SoOrbudgal. WPM is bad, bad, bad. I thinned out the plants.

May 6
          12/12 light schedule
          Day time temps 74-78 and night time 70. RH daytime 60% night time 60%-64% Added 15L water to the rez. It's actually 4.4 gallons 16.6 Liters but I'm calling it 15L for ease of use adding the nutes. Each of the CX Horticulture nutrients call for 1ml per liter. Watching the lights. The plants are in full stretch mode. Watching the leaf tips. No sign of any deficiencies any where on the plants except for maybe a lil' light burn.

May 7
          Calamity Jane is doing well. The new growth looks real good. She is growing taller. The Lady bugs cleared out whatever was eating the leaves, an aphid maybe? I plan to trim the damaged leaves. She has responded well to the nutes. The stem is thickening up. I think she needs to be topped?

May 9
          12/12 Day 10
          The plants are really bushy. Time for the final (maybe) trim. Pistils showing look good. Day time temps mid 70's RH 50-60%

Comment

• Bootsy
            Bootsy commented
            Editing a comment
            awesome. Hoping when i get the autopots setup i can get this kind of result.

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            looking real good.

May 13
          12/12 light schedule Day 14
          The plants have grown over 14” since the switch to the flower light schedule. Hoping the stretch is about over. Running out of grow space. For this grow circumstances (nute issues) dictated 6 weeks of veg. Note to self: Next grow try 5 weeks of veg. Added 15L water and nutes to the rez. Turned off the Growth Enhancer nute as called for by the CX Horticulture feeding schedule. Adding Bloom Enhancer and Head Masta for the duration of flowering. Oh, and a little bit of Epsom salts. Adding 2tsp per 4 gallons as opposed to 1tsp per gallon for a regular dose.

Plants look healthy, if a little crowded. Good ventilation through the canopy, no sweating leaves or other issues. The pics show a view from under the canopy. Illustrates (for me) the GWE guidance on lighting, defoliation, and ventilation. I have purposely not tried to do any training other than topping. Beverly has overtaken the other plants height wise. Next grow we'll add some LST to try and keep the canopy more flat.

Comment

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            things are looking real good in there golfnrl. Looks like you have everything dialed in. maybe a little more light needed down through the canopy but as long as the tops get the majority of light it's all good.

• Bootsy
            Bootsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the camera work!

May 21
          12/12 light schedule
          Starting 4th week of flower. Plants are looking good. The tent is crowded. I am torn as to whether I should trim one more time. There are so many opinions on defoliation. PH has been holding steady at 5.9. The rez reads 700ppm after all the nutes are added. Daytime temps are mid 70's nighttime temps have been in the upper 60's.

Comment

• Bootsy
            Bootsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks real crowded and healthy. aweome!

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thx Bootsy. Fingers crossed we get to the end w/o further issues. It's exciting.

May 29
          12/12 light schedule. The stretch is over. Plants looking good overall. I did a light defoliation on May 25. Hattie is dropping lower leaves. Her color appears off a little bit in the lower parts of the plant...but up top she looks good. No light burn. Looks kind of like a N defieciency...but not sure. None of the others are dropping leaves or have any other issues. The dropped leaves feel kind of like velvet. Hattie's top leaves are praying. I noticed them this morning and they have stayed that way all day. I read this https://www.growweedeasy.com/why-are...es-pointing-up and will watch to see if there are any other changes.
          Last edited by golfnrl; 05-29-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

June 4
            Five weeks of the 12/12 light schedule. Today marks the start of the 6th week. Things are looking OK. The plants are building buds. The flowers are getting frostier. Pistils began turning brown a week ago. The change in color is slow across the plants. The aroma is getting stronger. I have watched as Hattie has been dropping leaves. About a dozen so far. All from the lower part of the plant. Upper part looks good. I haven't seen any other signs of problems. Night time temps around 70. Daytime temps holding mid 70's. RH holding at 48-50%. Autopot system working flawlessly. Very impressed with it. The barb connectors make disconnecting the system to get the pots outside the tent a difficult task. I found some different connectors for the air dome lines as well as the water 'pipe.' I'll be trying them out during the next grow.

Comment

• swegrow
              swegrow commented
              Editing a comment
              What a great forrest of weed! Looking good!

June 5
            Looked up from under the plant's canopy. Noticed Beverly and Athena both had lower leaves that had dropped. I took a few more that fell from the stalks with just the slightest touch. I'm hoping the plants are using the energy stored in these leaves and then discarding them.

June 10
            6 weeks of 12/12 Plants are doing well. Two of the girls, Athena and The Queen even though they are not as tall as the others, are more advanced in the flower stage. Their pistils are mostly brown, Beverly isn't that far behind but Hattie barely has any pistils turning brown and her buds look smallish. I'm noticing that a few lower leaves on all plants are yellowing or draining of color and dropping off. I purposely left some lower foliage in part to watch the plant's natural growth. So, it appears that what I'm seeing is what I've read about as far as a plant storing energy in leaves and then discarding them when the energy is used up. I've noticed that the leaves that are ready to drop have red stems as opposed to green ones everywhere else. Started taking pics of the trichomes. All clear no clouds.

Calamity Jane is doing OK. I pretty much leave her to the elements. I have tried to keep some lady bugs around but I haven't been too successful with that. After I topped her she started to bush out.

Comment

• Sudsnbuds
              Sudsnbuds commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s been my experience that the plant will use resources from leaves that aren’t essential first.

Hey! Thought I'd drop by and check out your grow too and gotta say I'm impressed! Looks like no matter how many you've got under your belt there's always something new that'll come up and something you'll need to learn something for.

Looking good, love to see the bushing, hope Hattie does well, she'll give me hope

Comment

June 17
              6 full weeks of 12/12
              The inside girls don't seem to have any issues. Temps, RH, PH, and PPM all in acceptable range. As the leaves have dropped from the lower parts of the plants it's easy to see how much more light gets below the canopy. Really emphasizes the GWE guidance on defoliation, light, and why it's OK to take the lower leaves. I really like seeing in real world scenarios what I read and and am told from experienced growers. Lesson learned. Since this is the first grow where I have topped the plants I thought it interesting to see how the mature stalks look where they were cut at the fifth node. My crystal ball shows me topping future grows as well. It's also interesting how the plants on the left side of the tent have grown differently than the two on the right, considering their height, color, and bud growth.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X