Worm castings v perlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worm castings v perlite

Can worm castings be used in lieu of perlite? Not a combination of both. Just castings.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

I don't think so.
    Worm castings = fertilizer. Add to soil for plant food.

Perlite = small rocks to help with soil drainage. Soil with fine to super fine minerals have very poor drainage so by adding perlite you now have a mix between medium, small, fine and super fine. Which allows for better drainage because there is more space between the particles.

Comment

• PRIMO
      PRIMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Wannabe nailed it.

have to agree Gingerbeard ..i think worm castings are more dirt/soil/whatever they been eating shit. I know when im out fishing and you put them on a hook..they dont shit out perlite..they just shit all over the carpet.. lol
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Worms don't shit perlite? That is goddamn funny enough to give me a right roar.

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      glad i could help.

Another point would be worm castings.. are acidic to plants and must be diluted but I could of got the question wrong

Comment

You can use rice hulls instead of perlite for aeration.

Comment

Worm castings don't have much experience with them in a grow but as an avid fisherman after a few beers i have ate a worm with a handful of castings! Nasty stuff. Will never do it again. I would just leave it for plants!
        Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
        Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
        Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
        2 small 6" fans
        Promix HP
        GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

Looks like y'all have made my decision for me. I'm going to have to find worms that will shit perlite, per homegrown . I'm going to have to eat some, to follow SmashGuitar. Grow rice because Cali said I should.
          There's always so much more to do.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• homegrown
            homegrown commented
            Editing a comment
            hey Gingerbeard you could always put two or three worms in each pot..they can help with aeration. I put them in my first soil grow..they did their thing until i started to flush for harvest with black strap molasses. That seemed to kill them...or they drowned..one or the other

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I did exactly that with this grow. 3 worms in each pot. I have no idea if they're still down there. Probably not because there are no castings on the soil. Was curious, as well, about nutrients killing worms.

Lol there is no biology in chemical fed plants or soil I should say. Salt based nutrients are no good for soil life. I’m sure you killed them or almost sure I can always be wrong. When run my fingers in top of my soil or grab a hand full 10 times out of 10 there are worms form babies to adults. No bottled chemicals in my soil though.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            My bottled nutes are natures own marine animal squeezin's GO Box. Kelp and squid ink and other stuff.
            How do you suppose worms feel about diatomaceous earth? Would it be like pooping glass? Do worms get infections on their poopers? How do worms scratch themselves? How many worms does it take to change a light bulb? Don't be silly. Worms can't change light bulbs. No thumbs. What if worms had thumbs? Do worms hitchhike? Why didn't the worm go hitchhiking? Don't be silly. Worms cant hitchhike. No thumbs.

Exactly lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X