No announcement yet.

Grow Journal. Second Grow. Planted Feb 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full 9 weeks from switch to 12 12. I am now just a little worried about Pineapple Chunk with significant dying of leaves happening. I think it's part of the process. It is pretty much over the whole plant, but a little more on top colas. In case it's light burn, i moved the HPS and the LED up an inch or so, even though it is spread around away from the lights too. I am still not seeing any amber in the trichomes, but a lot of milky ones. The MCC is still sprouting new growth and fresh pistils on the buds. More at the top ones, but pretty consistent over the whole plant. Looks somewhat like foxtails to me (based on photos in articles). However, since it is pretty consistant over the whole plant I am thinking/hoping it is the "good" type and this is just the way they get bigger? Didnt think of this before, but the timing for harvest also leads to the question of when to flush. I see 3-4 days likely enough for a coco grow. I think i will start flushing PC today. For curiosity - I did take a little bud from low down, and it definitely had a decent taste and effect, even uncured - So I believe all will be okay. On an aside - I am running out of bloom nutrients from the kit, so if the 4 plants had been kept, I would have run out. This is still fun. Trying to get clones ready for the summer outdoors (my first try at outdoor growing). Expecting layoff notice today so might have a lot of free time. Photo one shows MCC overall. Photo 2 is of what looks like the most affected bud, which can be seen in photo 1 (top left, second from left, with blue wire) you can see it's not the closest to the light. the photo of two buds are right under the LED with only minor coverage from the HPS. photo doesnt seem to show the difference, with MCC still lots green and PC looking tight and brown. No question there is a big difference in duration for these two. Onward.
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      They are starting to show the fall colors and dying off. Looks like the end is near. Nice looking grow.

So. Almost 10 weeks since switchover to 12 12 and we are close . i changed light setting to 11.5:12.5 in the hopes of finishing them up. Started flushing with water and only blackstrap molasses on thursday for PC and gonna start MCC today. The trichomes on each are still somewhat clear, but getting there. High and low on plants now seem pretty much the same if only a little more advanced up high. I am somewhat concerned about the leaves dying into the buds, but again all my knowledge at this point is from reading. from what I read, I don't want the leaves going into the buds to turn? trichome photos are from suppertime yesterday. Opinions would be valued if I should harvest before the leaves on the buds die any more. Cheers.
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Bootsy that's one beautiful fade on that plant. Yours are more cloudy than mine are and my leaf are drying up also. You can if you want trim or if they just barely tug those dried up ones off you sure can no harm will be done. They have served that plant well great looking colas.

I took SoOrbudgal's advice and started picking/trimming the "dead" leaves. They were all of very dark colours from reddish brown to dark purplish green and not crispy but very hard in texture . it was after awhile that I really looked, and not just some, but all of the leaves on PC are like that. From what I know of plants and have read, the leaves must be soft and green or they are not working. Sooooo - I will chop down Miss Pineapple Chunk tomorrow morning. Trichomes are cloudy but not as milky as I would have expected. But - the little bud from underneath that I tried out a few days ago was good enough as is to be worth it already. Gonna be sweet. hope the flush was long enough.

Comment

Hey. Again based only on reading, The leaves were turning dark reddish brown and getting almost a plastic look, right into the buds and i didnt want it to hurt quality. trichomes were quite cloudy. I didn't see any amber, but my wife said she did. Anyway - note the strong reddish colour. it is pretty neat. Not sure if this caused it, but for the previous week I had switched climate to leave my daytime ventilation on at night (exhaust out and outside air in) so that nightime temperatures have been 62 to 64 when checked. up to then at night they were getting makeup air from indoors so nighttime temps were 68 to 71. Also reduced daytime temps by selective fan use to keep close to 73, where previously was keeping in high 70s. I also adjusted timer to go to 11day 13night, all with the idea of simulating fall coming (cooler and shorter days). Sunday I took her out of the tent, trimmed all the leaves for which I could access the stems - then left her in the dark till Monday, and cut her down early morning. Wet trimming was done Tuesday and she is now drying in basement at 54 and 48% RH. Not sure what photos are interesting to others, but for now, see the neat colour on the leaves chopped. Re weights, I weighed one cola (#1) and it was 58g. It weighed 47 after one day and was 34g this morning. Mint Chocolate Chip had its pistils mostly turned brown very quickly and a little cloudy in the trichomes, so i thought it was close. However, on looking Monday night, she has produced another wave (i think thi is 4) of fresh trichomes all over. Annoying for my planned harvest time, but each time this has happened, I think the buds have increased in size. She i also turning that neat colour of red, with the same type of progression PC went through. from this, I get that it is not the strain turning red, but something I have done. The lower temps?the molasses for last week or so? the increased fan blowing? the PC I have tried is very effective, but i will hold off on evaluation until curing. Note that I got both strains of seeds from personal contacts, so i am not even positive about the strain, noting that there are many Pineapple Chunks out there. Happy grower cant wait to try multi strain sea of green. I got called back to work, darn. Cheers

Comment

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry - MCC had a new wave of pistils, not trichomes. Just now they are about 50% turned in and brown. Trichomes on MCC are quite clear with a bit of cloudiness. not starting flush yet.

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        In case of interest - trimmed Cola #1 that started at 57 g is now at 34 after 2 days.

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Bootsy that's a beauty of a plant I think it's near perfect. I also have hard time judging trichs I even wear tri focal glasses LOL but I swear that plant is done by the looks of her and that's how I justify cutting a plant by the looks of the foliage, she looks done and you did a great job with them. you and wifey enjoy your hobby of growing your own and saving $$$ that's what I like about it and the freshest tasting weed.

SoOrbudgal - thanks for the reassurance - it makes me feel better - and it is suspenseful now waiting for curing. I am now confident that both plants were very worthwhile after some trials (after curing - might be awesome). Pineapple Chunk is drying in the basement, for a few days now. I didnt know they physically shrunk when drying as well as losing weight, or is it my imagination? i will measure the next one. Mint Chocolate Chip has matured quickly after the last set of pistils last week. Her leaves are almost all taken on that cool reddish colour. Estimate 90% of the leaves, including sugar leaves are turned that colour. The photo is under the grow lights so colour is warped but i will have some better ones later. Trichomes are in my mind somewhat cloudy, very similar to where PC was when harvested. The leaves also have taken on a plastic look - All the same as happened to PC, so I am assuming it is something I have done in trying to simulate fall temps, schedules and humidities. I lucked out with weather in that I had control almost every day to put them where i wanted. Dry humidity was the only real one i couldnt beat for awhile, but a new mechanical humidifier with huge capacity will fix that next time. It looks like MCC has much bigger diameter colas, which explains why I had to support almost every branch, even the lower ones were falling. so COOL!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you will very much enjoy this harvest and how well you've done. Curing makes it so much better in a couple weeks give it a try in a month you will never go back. The taste for me is so worth it. Enjoy

Pineapple chunk was bottled up Monday. Total included 105 g of nice solid feeling nugs, and 15 g of the smaller ones from inside, I think they are called "larfy". also got 0.8 g of scissor scraping (which is quite the treat") and a cup or so of fine trimming. I guess that could make her a "quarter pounder". looks and smells sweet. That is more than I expected so I am very pleased. What an intoxicating odour!. I did notice a few seeds as i was trimming, but hopefully not too many. I attached one photo of the harvest just before stuck downstairs to dry, although i definitely took too many. I kept a bunch of the top beautiful colas to ue as novelty gifts - Im sure it's been done, but still would be cool to get a big rolled single bud.
      Mint Chocolate Chip was cut down on Sunday, after a day in the dark. I read somewhere that it might help, and even if not, what could it hurt? Her buds were noticeably thicker and almost had the texture of heavy sponge. I really took my time trimming and removed every leaf that I could weasel the clippers into. She is now drying downstairs. Looks like more than from pineapple chunk. Photos this time include a shot of her just before trimming, one hanging, a nice bud and then the weird thing - I found a spot with what I think are male flowers down low. when touched it released a puf of powder(pollen). Now I wonder if the seeds I get could be non- feminized for future use. I included comparison bud photos from both plants.
      Now to exercise patience - lucky I already have a supply of nice stuff.
      Thanks a lot for any help. This was fun and now - productive. I did keep the different zones of each plant separate for comparison later. zones are - 1. mainly HID,, 2 in middle with both LED and HID, and 3. maily LED. after curing i will observe, ans ample to see if different. Cheers.

Comment

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        congrats on a great grow. real nice buds.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X