Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver near top of tent?

Hi everyone

I have a 2x2x3’ mini tent and am trying to maximize available height. I was able to hang my HLG 100 pretty close to the top poles.The driver has an inch or slightly less of clearance from the top of the tent. Is this acceptable/safe? If not, what is the minimum recommended amount of clearance between the driver and the top of the tent? Here is a photo for reference. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	3aEjNz0.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	665.2 KB
ID:	384042

As long as there's good air circulation I wouldn't be worried.
    Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
    sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
    4 plants currently under 500w
    2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
    GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
    Happy growing/consuming 🥴
    Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

Temperature is the main concern. They have an operating temp range of 50-90C. That seems high but that is what is on the label. I'm assuming yours is the same as my HLG240. I have mine mounted outside of the tent and it's running about 63C. Are you able to put your hand on it and leave it there or do you have a means of measuring the temp?

Comment

• GinFizzLuv
        GinFizzLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I am just setting it up, so I have not had a chance to leave it on for a long period of time. Once I get the filter and exhaust fan setup, I will do a practice run to see how hot it gets. I looked up the specs on the data sheet and it say -40 - +70C. https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/...A-90U-SPEC.PDF

I do have a temp probe on my fan and also a digital temp gun. I will do some tests and report back.

That should be fine, but you need to get ,I can't remember what you call them, but you pull a string to adjust the height of your light, you can then let it up or down, you can get them on Amazon for bout 6-8bucks.
      That HLG, Should do great in your tent.
      I got one just like yours, but my small tent is a 2x2x4, I think yours is 3feet tall, so your gonna have to train your plants real short, real easy with autos.
      GoodLuck. GinFizzLuv
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• GinFizzLuv
        GinFizzLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thansk D.A.A.S.69. I do have a bag of those ratchet carabiner things. I didn’t use them as it looked like I would lose a couple inches of height?

Do you think I will have a need to go lower with the lights? I’ve read a bit about recommended distance from the light to the plant, but honestly have read conflicting information, especially with seedlings.

• GinFizzLuv
        GinFizzLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, 10-4 on the training. I bought the shortest strains Mephisto had in stock, Sour Stomper, 4 assed monkey, and 3 Bears OG. Unfortunately the super short strains like Sour Crack, Strawberry Nuggets and 24 carat are all out of stock.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never used mine for seedlings, I just use 65k, cfls, for couple of weeks.
        Yeah I like being able to move my lights, up an down, yeah that's the name, carabiners, I ain't to good at remembering.
        But if they start stretching you want to be able to move your light closer.
        I can tell you been doing your homework, so I know you'll do just fine.
        You can't go wrong doing what Nebula says.
        Have Fun.

GinFizzLuv ractchet yo yo's I think is what there called. Another way is to raise the pots or lower them with risers/blocks of wood. Those plastic risers with feet and holes in them for the fabric grow bags to breath. Good Luck
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• duckman
        duckman commented
        Editing a comment
        for future reference, SoOrbudgal, I believe those plastic riser thingies you mention are called plant elevators

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Thay call them risers here.

Ahhh thank you duckman
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

That fixture will probably run around 110-120 degF surface temp. Running a typical extraction/circulation fan should keep tent temps around 80 if the room temps are in the 70's.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
          That fixture will probably run around 110-120 degF surface temp. Running a typical extraction/circulation fan should keep tent temps around 80 if the room temps are in the 70's.
          You are dead on with all those numbers.

Last night I snaked a temp probe through the top of the tent and let it sit on top of the light about an inch away from the driver. I turned on the light and exhaust fan and checked the temp of the probe after 5 hours and it was sitting at 115F.

Temp in the tent was at 80F 2/3 way to the ceiling and 76F on the floor. Outside the tent was 73F.
          Last edited by GinFizzLuv; 03-16-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• gbauto
            gbauto commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that if you can maintain those temps and keep the RH in the 50-70% range it'll rock. Good luck with your grow.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X