Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Grower - 1 Month In - Need Advice

Hi everyone,

First time grower and looking for some general advice. Things in general seem to be going well but I have never done this before and would love someone to review what I've done so far and let me know if I'm doing it right or wrong. Here is my story:

I went to the store on 2/9 to buy 4 clones (Do-Si-Dos, Fire OG, Lemongrass, Blue Dream) and put them in a red solo cup for a week with a really week grow light. Found this website and read as much as I could. I bought 600W light (https://www.growweedeasy.com/600w-hp...setup-tutorial) but run it at 400w, 5g smart pots, 420 soil, and GO Box. Switched everything on 2/14 and put them on a 20/4 light schedule. I have the pots in an enclosed deck with a sloped glass ceiling that is around 10ft at it's high point. The light has been roughly ~14inch from the top of plants. I started with 1/2 strength of the GO box but now go full strength. Typically watering every 3 days with 2 gallons of water between the 4 plants. They are sitting on racks that enable them to drain and not sit in the runoff.

I tried to do a bit of LST and things seem to be going well. I accidentally topped the Lemongrass but it seems to have worked in my favor. Now that the plants are getting bigger and seem to fulfill a lot more area, it is less obvious what to do next in this area.

When I watered one of the plants (Do-Si-Dos), it seems to have turned the leaves white but I don't think it's WPM as it doesn't seem alive. After reading the article in detail, I am unsure though as it might be the beginning and am considering just trying the Lost Coast Plant Therapy. Recently, one of the leaves wasn't normal colored (yellowish leaves, pointed down, is this nutrient and it seems like it is by far the smallest plant.

My main questions:
    1. Training: Should I continue trying to train the plants at this point and if so, any suggested techniques? Or is it time to just let them grow.
    2. Do-Si-Dos: Is the plant not doing well or am I being paranoid?
    3. Suggested timing of switching state: My plan was to let them run another month on 20/4 and get the plants to be pretty large. Does that seem reasonable or should I adjust plans?
    4. Am I doing anything wrong based on what you've read?
    5. How can I optimize the grow from here on out?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmmm - lots of ?'s I'm going to start with asking you a question - how are you going to darken your 10 foot glass wall when you switch to 12/12?
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• chiefjustice
      chiefjustice commented
      Editing a comment
      My plan was to adjust the lights to normal daylight (8am-8pm probably)

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Great question Canuck147

• chiefjustice
      chiefjustice commented
      Editing a comment
      okay goood to know. I will either have to tent them, put up stuff around the glass to darken it or gamble and see what happens when I turn down lights.

This looks like WPM buddy. Sorry to say. Remove infected leaves, but make sure you get them inside a plastic bag before removal. Don’t want to spread the spores around. So removal inside a bag is recommended. Then increase winds on the plants themselves. Get plenty of airflow across them.
    Attached Files
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
      This looks like WPM buddy. Sorry to say. Remove infected leaves, but make sure you get them inside a plastic bag before removal. Don’t want to spread the spores around. So removal inside a bag is recommended. Then increase winds on the plants themselves. Get plenty of airflow across them.
      Good eye Toker1
      Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
      Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
      Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
      2 small 6" fans
      Promix HP
      GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

Yes, like Toker1 said..you have WPM. Now is a good time to try and deal with it..but you should also treat the grow area the same as your plants..clean it too. And as Canuck147 asked...its gotta be dark for 12 hrs..no leaky light(motion light,neighbours light, whatever...) Since you have a 10' ceiling i dont think you need to worry about lst..just let them grow. If you veg them too long they get pretty tall and you usually end having to support the buds when they get ripe. Plants look pretty good.. Only water them when their dry. check ph in and ph out. have fun
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Tent
        Bruce Banner
        Kushy Kush
        2Cookies and cream

Comment

Okay. Will treat them and the area shortly. I opened up some windows to expose more airflow. I might need to think about how to make sure they get 12 hours of rest with no leaky light. that might be hard. What are the repercussions if it has some leaky light for a few hours (more like a 14/10)?

Comment

• Daskahn
            Daskahn commented
            Editing a comment
            They may hermi.. that is they may start to grow male parts in addition to female.. then seeds.. or they may rever back to veg and won’t produce much bud

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Can cause fox tails also

If I were you I’d keep training them till they were the most beautiful plants they could be.. keeping an even canopy is the goal..
          Id also raise your light to at least 18”

Comment

What store can you go to to buy a clone? I did not know that is a thing.

Comment

In OK you can get clones at many dispensaries, one in Sapulpa had them on sale a week ago. I know they sell clones in CO also, as well as many other states.

Comment

They sell clones in the Bay Area as well. I never buy them, because WPM and other pests usually accompany them.
                if you absolutely need to buy a clone from a store, make sure to quarantine them like they have a virus. Don’t want to bring the unknown into your garden.
                4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Toker1 Thanks for the info. Do you think it is necessary that I remove all the leaves or if I just apply the lost planet with a sprayer (when it arrives) and try to salvage the leaves? Or is it better to just get rid of everything that is white?

@dashkahn: thanks for info. Will either have to move them to a tent or put up blackout curtains in the room to avoid light leakage

I purchased them through a store in San Jose, CA. https://darkheartnursery.com/ is the maker.

Comment

• Toker1
                    Toker1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Problem is, once a leaf is infected they are more than likely to show WPM growth again. Infecting newer leaves.
                    If you have an isolated case, I would remove the leaf. If you are taking WPM all over the plant... you may need to treat the leaves over and over again until the new growth is clean. Then you can remove the isolated infected leaves after.
                    WPM is a real nightmare to deal with. Those spores get all over everything just waiting for the opportunity to bloom.

• Canuck147
                    Canuck147 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Toker1 is right - WPM is a nightmare - I know firsthand. Very hard to get rid of..

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, I used Trifecta Crop Control, pricey but safe to harvest, along with trimming/cutting, and adding air flow. If it was in a bud I cut it off below the bud.

Alright, I have now removed all leaves with spores and purchased the Lost Coast stuff recommended on the site to prevent anything else that might pop up. I have increased air flow as to limit humidity.

I did remove a decent amount of leaves -- I'm hoping this won't be too harmful to the plants.

thanks for everyone’s help!
                  Last edited by chiefjustice; 03-14-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X