Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreenState
    replied
    SoOrbudgal (and I thought we were nutty here )

Oregon county issues face mask order that exempts non-white people

Lincoln County, Oregon, has exempted non-white people from a new order requiring that face coverings be worn in public — to prevent racial profiling.

Health officials announced last week residents must wear face coverings in public settings where they may come within six feet of another individual who is not from the same household.

But people of color do not have to follow the new rule if they have “heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment” over wearing the masks, officials said.

“No person shall intimidate or harass people who do not comply,” health officials said.

With mask requirements becoming more common, activists have raised concerns that the directives could put non-white people in danger.

“For many black people, deciding whether or not to wear a bandanna in public to protect themselves and others from contracting coronavirus is a lose-lose situation that can result in life-threatening consequences either way,” ReNika Moore, director of the ACLU’s Racial Justice Program, told CNN.

Trevon Logan, who is black, said orders to wear face coverings are “basically telling people to look dangerous given racial stereotypes that are out there.”

“This is in the larger context of black men fitting the description of a suspect who has a hood on, who has a face covering on,” Logan, an economics professor at Ohio State University, told the outlet.

“It looks like almost every criminal sketch of any garden-variety black suspect.”

https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/oregon...-white-people/

Leave a comment:

• Farmall
    commented on 's reply
    alltatup. Now you know why we get along so well.... that is so logical.... 6 more months they may have a vaccine and by March, we know of its efficacy and can go back to near normal...happened with several other vaccines but we (people) are very short sighted

• Farmall
    commented on 's reply
    SoOrbudgal this is completely out of context....but if you eat canned tuna..the Kirkland brand is head and shoulders above Bumble bee solid white tuna .... it’s insane how much better it is... crazy statement I know but I had to get this out

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    This country is full of pockets of poverty, like what Detroit has turned into, and elsewhere. Poverty = 3rd world. They like to say "developing nations" these days, what a bullshit euphemism for the poorest of the poor, who are always considered dirt by the 1%.

• smoorman
    commented on 's reply
    "Don't think the government should have to do what they are doing anymore." What is that? The government should have done the right thing in the first place. Did anyone catch the PBS special last night on the C-19 pandemic? I hope John Bolton's book is ok'ed for release or is leaked. It will give some insight as to why the U.S. is the hardest hit nation on the planet and why our response was such a cluster F. The US, Russia, India and Brazil. What do they all have in common?

• Rwise
    replied
    When I must go to town, I pay attention, almost no one is wearing a mask or gives a damn about you me or their self.
    As to medical care in the USA, the way I see it we are a third world country, only the wealthy get good care and the extreme poor are used for testing. I see to many turned away and told to go home and die, because they dont have money.

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    "​​Wait for the vaccine to get social again."

That's the truth, the bottom line. And in the meantime, like you say, practice common sense and precaution!!!!!!!

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    StillHigh1982 The numbers in the US showing which groups have been have hit the hardest are clear: people of color in lower income brackets. As we have seen very clearly in the news these last few weeks, there are many people who don't enjoy the luxuries you list: "democracy and good diet and good health care."

It took long enough, but they finally DID ramp up testing that doesn't cost $200. It took way too long. I'm also wondering why we aren't seeing a daily number of "recoveries" in addition to daily deaths...

• Bowhunterwoody
    replied
    Damn straight. Maybe it's time for people to be responsible for their own actions. Wear a mask. Stay the fuck away from anyone who's not wearing one. If you don't know by now then forget it. Don't think the government should have to do what they are doing anymore. My wife and I are really introverted. Have always been. She's high risk. Breast cancer survivor, thyroid, cyliac, 67 years old. Definitely immune deficient. We just stay the fuck away from people. Here in CT we are in faze two of reopening. Only two deaths today. Less then two percent positive per test. We were one of the original hot spots in the country. Maybe it's time for people to make up their own mind as to how to deal with this bull shit. Stay the hell away from people, wear a mask and enjoy the summer away from gatherings.
    ​​Wait for the vaccine to get social again.

Leave a comment:

• StillHigh1982
    replied
    smoorman, no I am not one of those "I will not wear a mask" crowd. Nor am I a yee yee conservative or a bleeding heart liberal for that matter. I wear a mask at work, I maintain the proper physical distance, I understand the risks involved, my mother has lung cancer and I have been unable to visit her since February. Believe me, I am not taking this lightly. When I said there was not another spike it is because I believe we never topped off, we just were finally able to ramp up testing. And as for the hospital comment, the hospital will absolutely admit anyone with a symptom, imagined or not. (i.e.the people freaking out.). They may not keep these people overnight but they are still admitted and at least seen by a nurse, and probably a doctor because what doctor doesn't want to bill for telling someone nothing is wrong. I digress. My bad. Dabs. As for the most deaths, we here in the good ol USA enjoy multiple luxuries like democracy and good diet and good health care.,which means our numbers arent being stifled by some oppressive regime and we live longer, more obese people, more smokers, more elderly. I wonder how the numbers look when they are broken down by population, and populations are broken down by age/health factors.I confess I do not know. But stats all just depend upon who is making them so I dont think I'll check. Good day sir.

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeard
    replied
    Fire in the hole.

Flushing the toilet with the lid up creates a cloud of spray that may spread infection, study finds.

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    I am wondering alltatup lots of different feelings last few months.

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    SoOrbudgal Do I have to take that joint away from you, young lady???!!!???

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    alltatup sorry what i mean to say is a little town on the coast for 2 months no cases reported. Then phase 1 opened now they have 27 reported cases and 1 in hospital.

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    "Our one town on the coast itsy bitsy town had nothing for months now 27and 1 in the hospital why tourism big town folks trying to escape i can't blame them but no masks? Stubborn stupid folks."

You lost me there: can't understand message. I think something's missing...???

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X