Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehumidifier Water

Greetings all and hope you are well
    As anyone who has followed my posts will tell you they are often nothing short of cataclysmic disasters on an apocalyptic scale. Granted, most are down to basic rookie mistakes but you learn and get better but this season I thought I had it sorted. Okay, I`d just gone over to LED`s and that takes some figuring but I had overhauled my organic nutes after further research, sorted out soil mix that I`m happy with and the training I was doing. In fact, everything looked fine and dandy on paper. The weed I grow is teeth rattling but the yields still fall short and I seem to get this creeping, overall yellowness of leaves with very burnt tips and I always have. Now, I `ve chased everything down to over watering/ over feeding/ under feeding, etc and still I`d get these pesky leaves until I wondered what hardness my water was. In hindsight, an obvious question-I`d assumed that as treated water it would be soft to just above. Nope it was hard with 26mg/litre of calcium. This level of calcium (Coupled with high Mag)gave me an excess problem which I`d treated as a difficiency adding items like CalMag to address. To be honest, it was mainly my indicas that really didn`t handle this well but it made sense once I`d finally cottoned on.
    So, I`m not set up to bring an RO kit into this house and lugging bottled water back from the supermarket seems unappealing at the very least so I`ve decided to try the following and wondered on folks` thoughts:
    I will collect dehumidified water and add it to a much smaller amount of chlorinated tap water and let sit overnight before making a compost tea for the waterings. This reduction in tap water will mean much less calcium (though some will still be there as well as in the molasses added, etc) and the chlorine will kill off any bacteria in the dehumid water before evaporating. The microbes will then do the rest during brewing.
    My question: Has anyone tried this? I appreciate you`re not meant to drink dehumid water but I`ve seen quite a few threads on other sites where folk have used it to water cannabis and nought bad has happened. The only thing I`m unsure of is metals in the water. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Click image for larger version  Name:	portada.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	378172Click image for larger version  Name:	82528427_740088646514366_7123154065860591616_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.5 KB ID:	378173
    Last edited by PaganRich; 02-23-2020, 12:46 PM.

I know about hard water here's my humidifier after 36 hours. I've been using a Brita filter for my water used, everything, watering, humidifier, I've never much used dehumidifier water because it's always been to dry where I grow so it's been the opposite. But one basement grow I had I was using a dehumidifier for a few months and all the water went into the plants and they liked it so give it a try would be my advice. Even if you mix it with the usual water you give them..
    Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
    sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
    4 plants currently under 500w
    2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
    GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
    Happy growing/consuming 🥴
    Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Jordann Thanks mate, really something that I`d stupidly not given much thought to...good feedback mate....thank you

Great write up PaganRich - I run a dehumidifier in my house and pour the water down the drain - just cuz the instructions say it's non-potable.

Our drinking water is wonderful. Ph is a bit up there after rainfall - but local city of Chilliwack has constantly won awards for best tap water in Canada .
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      @Canuct147 Thanks mate and I`d love to live near a place called that...not that many cannabis articles/ info out there that I could find so be interesting what comes from this, if anything...take care

Few things... dehumidifier water sits stagnant in the reservoir prior to collecting. Perfect environment for pathogens. Second, as you mentioned, this water is almost like distilled water (or RO) in the sense that it has been stripped of many minerals. Water wants to absorb minerals, so unless you are adding these minerals back into the water... it could potentially strip your plant of minerals after long term use. Adding 50/50 tap and dehumidifier is a better ideas than dehumidifier water straight.
    Lastly, most water treatment plants do not use chlorine gas in the water anymore. Leaving it out 24 hours does nothing for de-chlorination. You have to filter the water to remove chlorimimes from modern day water.
    Last edited by Toker1; 02-24-2020, 02:10 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      PaganRich understood. Another option is charcoal filtering the water (commonly called brita filters in my area).

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Toker1 Hey up mate, did check those out but they don`t catch calcium or mag but I do like your thinking and will look at other similar options...appreciated mate

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. Exactly. So no need to add those elements back into the water (unlike RO). Best of luck!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X