Training???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training???

What training would you recommend for a first time attempt? From what I've read I think I'm best following one of two options

1. Topping the plant at an early stage creating a divide in the stem
    or
    2. Tying off the stem causing it to grow horizontal to the ground, making each branch grow upwards to create a canopy

Which would you think is the best for a first attempt?

I have just finished 2 plants but I didn't train them or use special feed. I ended up with 38g which I wasn't disappointed with considering I had no clue what to do, but this time I'm aiming to be a bit more conscientious so hoping for a bare minimum of 2oz a plant.

I prefer topping. I top until I have 8 main branches. Then from there you can bend and manipulate the branches however you need. This method puts the plant through some higher stress but I always have good results doing it this way. That being said you should go the, route you're mose comfortable with. It can be intimidating cutting off some of your healthy plant but after you do it a few times and see the results it gets easier.

Comment

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the exact problem I had with my first two - it seemed wrong to cut them so I didn't. I can call that my Control grow through I suppose cause I got x amount by doing nothing. So if I end up <x this time I've seriously gone wrong by ending up with less than I'd get by doing nowt.

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      I could try both techniques I suppose, a 50/50 split then go with the best next time. Though I'm hoping I'll get an 18 month supply this time so won't be needing another grow for a while. It's

Topping will make the plant produce more primary branches. It's also the easiest to do. I normally top a plant twice so that it will make an umbrella of 4 main tops and then work the secondary branches with some LST or trellis netting to spread the plant out over the footprint of the light. Do that and you'll get some serious yield.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I never top. I just LST and I'm satisfied with the results.

Comment

I never top either. I use LST..it doesn't stress the plants, and to my eye it doesn't slow the growth.
        ive got Kimbo kush that went leggy on me, so I used a combo of LST and super cropping. I consistently get 8-12 main colas per plant. This round my space is about 3/4 full. Last grow it was half full...(I have a few more than 2 f
        grows, but I'm in a new environment with a new rig and basically starting from scratch again) next grow I expect a full screen...

Which ever method you choose, I urge you to stick with it and master it....jumping from method to method caused me inconsistent, small yields.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X