Lightning/temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning/temperature

Hello everyone, I have been growing gorilla glue #2 for a couple of years now, in soil with LEDs. I have been using 2 king 1000watt leds in a 2x4x5 ft tent and my nighttime temperature with lights on was 78 degrees and recently I saw a decent 2000watt led on sale, great reviews etc, the new light is more bright yellow/white instead of typical purple color. My nighttime temperature when light is on is no higher than 67 degrees with new 2k light??? My question is, do I have to be concerned or just see what happens? They do look happy as can be and I just recently switched over to 12/12 schedule. My other lights gave great results with 3 plants. Thank you

Form my experiences with temperature.... my DIY LED’s throw very little heat and during the cooler temperatures of winter, my night temps run around 61-64 daytime may hit 66-68. The plants did fine with regards to appearance but one thing I’m am noticing is the maturity of trichome development. The trichs are fully developed and look text book normal but the amber coloration I look for at 30-40% just does not happen as quickly . I have had one in 17 weeks in flower that was beautiful but never ambered. I am wondering if temperatures are playing a role in this ? It seems like this may be the case.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to my world we are in the same flux of temps Farmall I just checked this a.m. when lights came on 65 and humidity was 60% but goes down to 30%. Very good reason for slow growth loosing those warm hours. If I run autos during winter again I may try 20-4 on off. But cooler temps I think are way better than extreme highs.

You could cut back on exhaust to help hold some heat in, or do a partial air recirculation to help save some heat. Surprising that a switch in light made that much of a heat difference. Hows your air circulation setup? Where are your fans in the tent and where are they pointing? How much temperature difference between the very top and very bottom of the tent?

Comment

If you can keep canopy temps above 70, and closer to 75-80 with the lights on you will benefit the most. Growth does slow slightly below that. It starts dropping off quickly by about 65f.

Click image for larger version

Name:	co2-Temp-graph (1).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	373430

Comment

Well, this I know...unfortunately there is not happy medium. My t-6 is at its lowest setting but the ambient room temp is also a non-contributor. My 6” exhaust air output could not blow out a lit match. I fully recognize it is a problem related to the colder time frame. I am more surprised by the development of the plant watching it mature in all places except trichomes. Big heavy buds, yellowing and near crispy fan leaves, thick and very frosty trichome coating . No amber. Chemically, the cooler temps changed something. I’m thinking there is a way to handle this besides cranking up the heat or changing lights for the winter

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Farmall , I saw this video of a guy who put ice cubes all around the trunk base lights out for 48hrs. in his tent. His idea was to really give it some cold to really make the plant think it was time to quit. His trichs were cloudy when he started. I've heard of folks flushing with ice water then darkness. What the heck if I had a spare flowering plant which I sure as heck don't (damnit) I just might try as a experiment.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for that thought SoOrbudgal . Didn’t think about that . yet, we use ice cubes to water the orchids in summer. It HAD been the last of a bigger group and I had been waiting for it to be able to clean up the tent, put stuff away and give it a break for a month. Next winter ?

• Obi-Wan
          Obi-Wan commented
          Editing a comment
          SoOrbudgal What’s a spare flowering plant and where do I find one?😉

Obi-Wan LOL like I said if I have a full pantry and just growing because I love it had a plant that I was curious about shocking with ice i'd try it but heck no nothing spare in my tent and won't be for along time. One day I will try the ice just to see if it does shock it.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I don't imagine it doing any more good than overnight cold temperatures. My root mass gets plenty cold enough if I let overnight temps drop in flower. If you've got a warm grow tent I just see the ice melting and the water warming as it's absorbed by the plant. It may help bring down root temperatures, but I don't seeing it being effective on it's own, and like I said, if you're able to drop overnight temps, 12 hours of colder ambient air will do a lot to cool the roots, as well as the rest of the plant, to help with colours and resin production.

Comment

Hi everyone, thank you for the ideas, I tried turning down my exhaust and the temp actually dropped down to 60??? So after trying different suggestions with no luck, I decided to just add one of my 1000watt LEDs along side the new 2k Watt LED light and low and behold a perfect temp of 76 degrees! I’m happy, the plants are happy! Lesson learned, I will use the new light by itself during spring/summer since it Barely has a heat signature?? Thanks again for the help, as always!

Comment

• gbauto
              gbauto commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, doxie
              I've been using led lighting on my grows for 4 years now.
              I started with same fixtures you're using.
              I'd assume that the space where your tent is located is cold or that you're venting the tent too much.
              8 sq ft of area would need anywhere from 400-200 actual watts used to provide enough light.
              A lot of folks will use a HID fixture to act as a heater as well as a light source in colder condtions.
              Room temps work best around 78 degF for HID and lower 80's for led fixtures

Ref: Lightning/temperature

The the temperature of lightning (not lighting) is around 54,000 degrees F, that's way too hot for your plants or greenhouse. ;-)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X