What Germination Method Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Germination Method Do You Use?

Got my 1st GYO seed order today so I'll be starting a few seeds today and some more in a week when my 2nd order gets here & i was wondering what germination method you all use? What has been successful for you and what hasn't?

I put the seed in the pot or in a cup of light warrior and cover with half a 1 liter bottle. Put undet light 24/7. Mist as required.
    SSD

Comment

• rwdyredhead
      rwdyredhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Had never heard of Light Warrior so I Googled it. Why 24/7 light? You veg on that schedule?

I wait for all my seedlings to come up then switch to 18/6 post germination, around day 3 to 10. Seedlings need light not dark.
    SSD

Comment

I use a heating pad under a cooler with a very weak led on top with a towel over tht with solo cups I just plant the seed and water with tsp

Comment

I have two ways and use both regularly....

1... Put seed in final pot with medium....water it...done
        2...Put seed in a ph 6 rinsed starter plug..I use root riot plugs....Put plug with seed in it in final pot...water it...done

I never saw the need to make the germination process more difficult than what it needs to be...

Comment

• Green75
          Green75 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pointed end up...

• Green75
          Green75 commented
          Editing a comment
          Newborns will only stretch if there is not enough light to keep them happy....light is a must during germination and sprouting..

• Karlee
          Karlee commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Red
          Seeds are smart they will right themselves unless it's pinched and can't move, the tap root wants to go DOWN and sends the baby up.I would only use a plug it's just not good to be messing with the root at all.

One thing you could try is the seeds could be soaked in a cup it takes about 24 hours for it to soak up enough water to pop open get it to the plug before it pops open.

I use Jiffy peat pellets that have a loose net around them. Those little hard discs that expand to 10x their original size when wet. The night before I put them on tray and complete cover with very warm water and covered with foil. ( I used a cake pan.) Next day, if any sitting water remains, I drain it off and insert seed about 1/8 inch down, just till barely covered. Keep damp by misting with warm water. Seeds germinated in 3 to 6 days. After a few days I just filled solo cups (holes in bottom) with soil leaving about 1 1/2 inches at top of cup, and made a hole big enough to insert entire expanded peat pellet. I do cut down one side of netting but you don't have to remove it. After seedling has stretched past top of cup, I fill with more soil to cover some of that long thin stem. Here are the last set of babies from day 7 to day 25.

Comment

• Charlie
          Charlie commented
          Editing a comment
          That works well

I throw em ina moist paper towel in a ziplock and in a tupperware and throw it under my kitchen sink and check back everyday.

Comment

Well I can see from posts before mine that I over complicate the process. Going to streamline for next grow.

Comment

Originally posted by ctownsfinest407 View Post
            I throw em ina moist paper towel in a ziplock and in a tupperware and throw it under my kitchen sink and check back everyday.
            And then what??

Comment

• ctownsfinest407
              ctownsfinest407 commented
              Editing a comment
              When the tap roots start nicely i place them in my medium poke a hole to your first knuckle and drop em in throw some regular ph'd water on there and put it under your light! She shpuld pop if not within a few hours, sometimes it can take up to a day or two. But then you should be rolling!

I start my seeds in a small disposable aluminum baking pan on a folded up paper towel standing (the towel) in 5.0 pH'ed water all covered with a piece of foil and placed in a warm area.
            Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Put soil in peat pots,soak seeds 24 in water put in pots water in cover with sandwitch bag check twice a day spray them up in 2or3 days under t5,24 hours a day till all have poped remove bag as thay appear put on light schedule.

Comment

I've tried just about everything floating around the internet and have had best results with a non-internet process used in other countries.

Place your medium in a germ bag (you can use a coffee grinder to make it more like starting soil - I don't).
                Place seed in medium (make sure your soil is not a "hot" one) I use a pepsi bottle cut-off to hold.
                Place the germbag in 24hr light as it gets close to sprout time (3 days).
                Your sprout needs light for the first 12 hrs after it peeks through the soil- to avoid stretching.
                Once you see a tap root - transplant to a container- note for fem seeds and auto's- I place directly into the final pot, as germbag will hold moisture so you don't water 3 gallon pot.
                I never mist/spray seeds-only clones- as the seeds need to dry out right away for the taproot to search for moisture and not dampen off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	37392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	37390Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	37394Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	37393Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	37391
                It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I like plugs. Keep em warm and moist. 75-80 degrees and 50% humidity is perfect. Most people use a humidity dome until sprout, which seems to have good results. Not for me. I just spray them with room temp distilled water 3-4 times a day.

I can can never wait, I have to keep peeking in the hole to see the progress. My excuse is, so I know when to turn the light on, but it's mostly due to anxiety.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X