Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EC rising, PH rising, water stable in DWC- leaves yellowing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EC rising, PH rising, water stable in DWC- leaves yellowing!

Ok, so it's my first grow and I have managed to make just about every mistake in the book. This little auto, 2vast 2fast, is somehow still alive in spite of me... although she's not looking too pretty.

So, here is where I am. She is being grown in a dwc 6 gallon bucket under a 300 watt blurple. (I have a new light on order, but it's not arrived yet.) Light is about 18" from my plant. She's 6 weeks old and quite stunted. Nevertheless, she's starting to preflower.

Temperature range is between 77 and 80 and humidity is generally between 55 and 60. I have 4 air stones pushing out tons of oxygen.

Now here's where things went wrong. For the first 3 to 4 weeks, I used very hard water in combination with a basic formula for General Hydroponics that I found from the website growweedeasy. I had read that hard water helps pH to stabilize better and therefore is preferred to RO water. I was testing ph and was experiencing wild swings between 4.5- 8! The hard water naturally had very high pH and pH Down would oftentimes bring it way too low over the course of days. I had no idea about EC and PPM.

So I came to this forum, got some advice to begin using RO water (which I have at my disposal) and to pick up an EC meter along with some Cal Mag and a fungicide.

I thought I was on target! I mixed up a batch of nutrients with my RO, added in Cal Mag (first) and a wee bit of Southern AG Fungicide and I expected all my problems go away. However I way over shot my EC levels (1150). Pretty much I went with suggestions for what was probably photo period plants and also plants that had not been stunted but we're healthy at the age my plant was. Rather than seeing the EC levels go down I watched them rise every day!

So again I returned to the forum and was told to drop my EC levels. I had read that dropping EC levels rapidly could cause the cells to burst and so I worked over the course of four or five days to replace and replenish my reservoir with water, bringing my EC levels down to about 500 to 600.

But nevertheless the levels aren't dropping, water levels are pretty stagnant and the leaves are suffering. The only thing I'm really able to manage is the pH at this point which seems pretty steady between 5.8 and 6.2.

The roots look healthy. They're not exceptionally large, but they are very pretty and white and the water looks great as well. My temperature is right about 69 degrees and I'm using a fungicide as a preventative.

So last night I changed my reservoir once again and my final EC was 518, ph 5.2. This morning my ph had drifted up to 6 and my EC was 565! So, I added 2 quarts of RO water and am going to retest later today. It's so frustrating!

my plant looks awful. Any advice you have is really appreciated! Thanks so much.
    Attached Files

never done DWC so ill let hydro guys comment but i do have this chart someone posted around here
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_92773.jpg
Views:	3050
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	373022

Comment

Thanks 9fingerleafs! I've actually saved that chart and try to reference it. The only thing I have doubts about at this point is if my water levels are falling or static since I just did a res change last night. The actions to follow for rising EC + rising PH + STATIC water versus FALLING water levels is completely opposite so I'm not sure whether to raise EC or drop it yet!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah i realized that too, i really dont know what the issue could be but i do know if the plants are stunned from the stress they been going thru then maybe they wont do anything for a few days while they recover. before doing anything i would observe for a few days to really keep track of whats going on. if you react and change something everyday you wont be able to see the improvement

Those temps are up there for DWC. How are you cooling the water and what are the water temps in the reservoir at?
      lastly, get rid of the fungicide from your mixture.
      Last edited by Toker1; 02-04-2020, 06:26 PM.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
      Those temps are up there for DWC. How are you cooling the water and what are the water temps in the reservoir at?
      lastly, get rid of the fungicide from your mixture.
      I have been using frozen water bottles, forgot to mention. That usually keeps it closer to 66. I'm using a half a ml as preventative because my temps have gotten close to 70 and I wanted to ensure that roots weren't my problem.

and regarding the ph, the 6.2 number is the top end. It's typically 5.8-6.2 but when I first do a reservoir change it's around 5.5 and then drifts to 6.2ish (sometimes 6.4 near the end of a water cycle before my next change).

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are keeping it at 66F consistently that is good. Temp flux can cause ph flux as well. I would let her get all the way up to to 6.5 so she can absorb all the mag from the cal mag you are adding to the RO water.

That's true 9fingerleafs.. I get impatient waiting for her to turn around!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X