Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question, new to things.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, new to things.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Had some stretching on a plant inside. Not much, and not sure why, but when I topped the thing, I went down a few nodes instead of main top. It's still growing few days later, but did I screw up? What should I expect compared to a normal topping?

The plant will act exactly the same, you have just reduced the amount of main branches is all.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, and height

Im a new grower also and id say it be fine. But i know that ive been told not to take over 25% defoiliating at 1 time surely its the same all around as you wouldnt of takn 25% of plant in 1 go.
    IO'D

Comment

Welcome to GWE
      Is she reaching for light?
      Is she on 12/12s?
      Both can stretch,,,
      As for the topping she will be fine, pics help

Comment

Ever notice when cutting your lawn how if you "top" a weed its stem thickens, and growth is stimulated? Same thing here. Plant is determined to survive and replicate its genotype. https://www.amazon.com/Selfish-Gene-...=UTF8&me=&qid=

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys. I apologize for no pics, just not entirely comfortable posting them just yet. I actually have two, but the one in question is a Liberty Haze. It's in veg (18/6). Not really reaching for light, but there was more spacing in between the top nodes than I wanted. I usually allow my plants to grow a little longer than most before topping. Inside anyways. I'm not in a rush to switch them over to flower, so time isn't really an issue. I plan on topping again soon. Trying to get a bad ass bush, and the even canopy I need for my particular lighting set-up. Not sure what I was thinking, probably wasn't thinking very much (too many brownies) . I topped where most people probably would, around the 4th or 5th node, and at the time it had 7 nodes, counting the top. Guess I was afraid I could've screwed up my eventual (hopeful) harvest. Seems to be doing fine health-wise, growing.

While I'm at it, may as well ask - do you guys have any thoughts/feelings/information on topping side branches? It's not something I've done, nor do I know anyone who does. But I have read a little about it, and if anyone has anything to say about it, I'd love to hear it. Again, anything would be very much appreciated.

"If you ask me, a lot of peoples windows are made out of brick." -- Me

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            its completely normal to top a few nodes, specially if you want strong branches growing away from the center, you can keep topping any branch as it were the main top just wait until the branch is growing so you dont stunn the plant

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I think to top a little later just assures that the lower branches are a little stronger and grown out already.

But is it true not to take over 25 % of youre plant in 1 sitting deloiliating or pruning just wondering cause its what ive read before.
          IO'D

Comment

• Obi-Wan
            Obi-Wan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, unless you are extremely experienced with pruning and defoliation, it is advisable to only take 25% at a time. In most cases you can consider topping to be slightly different than traditional pruning. While you might be removing 50% of the nodes when you top, because the lower growth is more established it normally represents a higher percentage of the total foliage so taking the top 50% of nodes might only mean that your taking 25-30% of the total foliage.

In the GWE manifold tutorial I believe that they recommend letting your plant grow to 6 nodes before you top down to the 3rd node. This would represent clearing 1/2 your plant, so at least one more node than you removed.
          Last edited by Obi-Wan; 02-01-2020, 07:33 PM.
          Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• JDU
            JDU commented
            Editing a comment
            & it calls for removing the 1st & 2nd node growth as well. I let mine grow an xtra 2 nodes to give a viable clone when I did top them.

Thanks got it thanks for clearing that up for me
          IO'D

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X