Diatomaceous earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Diatomaceous earth

How do you use Diatomaceous earth in your grow and do you think it is useful for an indoor grow? I haven’t used it but I’m curious and wonder if it has a beneficial effect upon the soil. tia!

The only time I have used it is when I had an insect problem. If you have soil knats just sprinkle it on top of the soil and reapply after watering. If something is eating your leaves you can dust your plant. I wouldn't do it in flower though. I'm not sure if there's much benefit for the soil though

Comment

Thank you SSA!!!

Comment

It does have calcium in it as well (I dont remember what all), so it can be good. Make sure it is "food grade DE" and not crystalline! And do not use it on the bud as burning it makes it crystallize, and that is deadly to everything. Food grade can be ingested by us (claim is to ride one of worms), I give it to the dogs in a peanut-butter bend-over.
        As a bug killer it cuts up exoskeletons, (like glass) and is not effective wet. It does not harm things with skin, us, earthworms etc.

Comment

Wow... that’s interesting, Rwise. Thank you!

Comment

Oooh-eee! This is right up my alley!
            Mix the DE in with your soil, when you go to pot.
            This way, you don't have to worry about getting any on your plants.
            A topical covering washes away when you water. It also doesn't cover all the soil. There are a lot of areas under the top layer of soil.
            If you're already potted, scrape off an inch or so of the top soil. Add a little more so you can add, maybe, 2-3 inches of soil back to the pot. Mix the DE with the soil and put it back on the soil.
            Circulation is also good to keep little buggers at bay. It only takes a light-medium breeze over the top of your soil. Can't never say enough good about responsible circulation.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

Thanks, GB! Do you always automatically add it to the soil each of your plants?

Comment

Yep. The pallets of soil you see at stores are breeding grounds for insects. I always buy a bag now for the next grow. This will give me time to let it dry out and help mitigate bugs. My method is to pour a bag in a large planter I don't use. Give it a mix when I think about it. When I pot my soil I toss in a few handfuls for every two gallon pot. I don't know exactitudes. When the dry, black soil looks a little grey, you have enough mixed in.
                And circulation. I say again. You can pretty much get rid of an existing fungus gnat infestation in a split, with circulation.
                One of these days we'll talk about H2O2.
                More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                3x3x6

Comment

Thank you GB... is this something that you do for an indoor grow?

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                    Gingerbeard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes. I have a little tent in my closet.

It is also a micronic filtration media and can be used to filter tincture or qwet as well as water...etc

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X