Reverse osmosis vs. distilled water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse osmosis vs. distilled water

The manufacturer of the nutrients that I use recommends using reverse osmosis water for the best results. Can someone tell me if distilled water can be used since it has a ppm of 2?

I read somewhere that distilled water from dehumidifiers might contain contaminants from the coils of the machine. So not advisable. But would be nice if I could since I dump it down the drain! Anyone else??
    Team AutoMechanics

Comment

I know you are not supposed to use distilled water. I have no choice as my tap water is real bad (sets off our Geiger counter alarm bad!). So far I have had no trouble (other then the expense) You can view my plants on my other post if interested.
      Last edited by dontknownuttin; 10-14-2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

After buying about ten jugs of spring water, I now refill them at the RO dispenser outside of our grocery store. 30 cents a jug. Takes two weeks to go through the ten jugs. We have well water, but do not use it for drinking, so didn't want to use it for the plants either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnyhad View Post
          I read somewhere that distilled water from dehumidifiers might contain contaminants from the coils of the machine. So not advisable. But would be nice if I could since I dump it down the drain! Anyone else??
          Use distilled water. Mine didn't do to good with spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnyhad View Post

Did you check the ppm of the well water? The plants I have in 5 gal pots take about 2 gallons every 3 -4 days! That would get old fast running for all that water!
            We do supplement with tap water on occasion, but we have not had our water tested lately, and hubby, who will be the main end user, thinks our water smells funny so he doesn't want it in his bud. I don't think it smells funny, but his decision. A bi-weekly trip to refill jugs, only a block away, isn't too bad.

Comment

what about the water that comes out of the a/c has anyone measured ppm? a mechanic friend of mine told me they use that water to refill the acid/water mixture inside car batteries due to the low mineral content, I don't water with it, just when i flush at end of flowering.

Comment

Does anyone catch and use rainwater? I often do that for my few houseplants. Would love to have a rain barrel setup for large quantities.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X