how bad are foxtails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how bad are foxtails

i recently boosted the light output on my indoor grow moving into week 6 of flower.. hybrid maybe indica leaning smaller strain.. and now finishing week 7 i am noticing new white pistils sprouting and obvious spire/knot foxtails on a few cola's.

now in to week 7 i would imagine by now all the milky trichomes are starting to ferment into a terpene and cbd marinade.. but does that take a lot of resources out of the plants energy stores?

can the already developed thc be cannabilized (cannabidized heh) into new growth energy instead of maturing into cannabinoids and terpenes?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200120_1040188.jpg Views:	23 Size:	4.33 MB ID:	368144

​​​​​
    Last edited by wibe; 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM.

so tldr: is the appearance of foxtails a risk to already established thc development so harvesting immediately should be considered?

or will stress induced (i also increased light cycle from 11 to 12 hours a day which i've since rolled back to 11h) foxtails only decrease the potential thc that may have been developed had the stress been avoided.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry wibe I total understand the reason you did this, but I don't want my plants to foxtail means their to close to the light. Sure even a longer than needed grow length will do it but at what sacrifice? Degrades the THC I believe? But if your just trying it out for shits and giggles it's working LOL mine have foxtailed outdoors many times seedy bud is what I got.

• wibe
      wibe commented
      Editing a comment
      SoOrbudgal ya its first grow after brief attempt decades ago and practicing over and over sub contiously ever since, so experimenting a bit.

i have a sativa dom strain in a slightly larger cavnas pot that has a cola 10 inches from the 200w 3000k led's and its not foxtailing.. the cola pictured of the pink indica variety is a good 18 or 20 inches below the light and off to the side of it.. heat or light stress isn't likely a catalyst of these foxtails unless the overlall lumen increae triggered it.

I wish I had answers but I don't. Your beautiful plant begs the question - What set up are you using? Keep up the great work!!
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

hey thanks.. i'm using a hand sewen from landscaping fabric (maybe 3 gallon taller than wide) fabric pot watered a bit less than twice a week beyond saturation with tap water in pro-mix all purpose (with myco) with a good amount of perlite added.

i think they're pretty precious too and attribute airy soil to a good amount of my success..

the lights have been built up since seedling stage beginning with a 60w 33ooK and 56ooK LED setup and then added a 100w with 690reds shortly after flowering started and now at week 5 i added another 200w of 3000k and removed about 30w of 5600k led's.

i have a temp sensor about 6 inches below the tallest cola thats never breached 80f but usually sits at about 72f.. the room itself sits around 70f, a few degrees cooler than the growing nook.

occasional fan.. nothing special.. not even daily unless temps call for it while its been pretty chilly lately so not required.

i have been adding a bottle of sparkling water into my tap water with nutes and maple syrup to build the flowers up.. perrier is really low sodium but san pellegrino has a good ppm of cal and mag as well as the co2 that seems to make everything trace mineral wise more accessible.

​​​​
      ​​​​

Comment

I had foxtails because of one red light on power strip, I have read some strains do this, whatever she is luvely!

Comment

thanks for compliments guys i think like kids everyones plants are breath taking to their own care takers but to get compliments from public at large is pretty rewarding and appreciated.

i have the room pretty dark at night, no more intrusive light during dark phase than previous..

i'll scrutinize a bit more though and try to cool the room a little extra maybe the top of the canopy is warmer than i am giving rising heat credit for.

when i suspected root issues i watered with a bit of superthrive too which may account for the longer flower period as well as possible foxtail catalyst.

Comment

According to the GWE website (and others), if it's genetic then you are fine; but if it is light or heat stress then that stress is harming your plant and the foxtail is the symptom.
            2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
            2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
            2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
            2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

ya i was just curious if there is any reason to harvest early but does not seem likely, just would be best to correct asap to save potetial thc yet to be developed

Comment

Some stains foxtail all on their own, genetics,
                I wouldn't even worry about it, your gonna see white pistils, even when you know she's ready.
                Great job, beautiful plant.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

• GreenState
                  GreenState commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm with DASS on this one, some will naturally foxtail. Some you think may be foxtailing and a week later they are filling in. Seems to be more prevalent in sativa dominate strains.

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
                Some stains foxtail all on their own, genetics,
                I wouldn't even worry about it, your gonna see white pistils, even when you know she's ready.
                Great job, beautiful plant.
                ^^^ this
                Too much light intensity can induce this. I'd just scope the trics on the rest of the flower and let that be a guide when to chop. Looking marvelous!
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Hi wibe, sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said: DO NOT let your milky triches all go amber; then it will be all over. You can't convert trichomes into an energy source for the plant; that's not the purpose they serve.
                  Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                  2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                  Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I think foxtails are simply just a symptom of light stress. I don’t have the experience that some other growers here have, but the way I see it, foxtails are just an outstretch of calyxes. I had a 1.5” foxtail on a secondary kola which was a great smoke when I clipped it off the kola.

YMMV
                    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
                    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
                    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
                    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

A good example of what one may consider foxtailing and another consider normal growth..white widow
                      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...412#post368412 in this case, I say normal bud development. Certainly environmental factors can also effect growth, but some I believe have a genetic disposition to grow in a foxtailly way (yes, new word)(g)
                      Last edited by GreenState; 01-22-2020, 05:54 AM.
                      "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

• YYCannabis
                        YYCannabis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That link is my WW 😁 Its the first time I’ve grown that strain so I can’t say if it’s normal or not. I was monkey-f@cking around with my lights and accidentally blasted my plants with too much light at the end of their grow. The foxtails happened after that incident.

It’s interesting that even after I corrected the light abuse, the foxtails continued to grow.

• wibe
                        wibe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        sweet, how does the flower balance out after cure.. i'm guessing there are a lot of clear cerebral trichomes mixed in with the ambers.. does anyone take time to separate the spire/dreading/foxtailing new growth from the main bud?

• YYCannabis
                        YYCannabis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        wibe I just cut it down 2 days ago. Smoke report won’t happen for another 10 days or so. 😉

YYCannabis I say it's a trait of the strain. You can see the same "foxtailling" in this WW I grew last winter. Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=306001.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	368849
                      "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

It looks totally normal to me some strains/phenos have buds that are basically formed entirely of foxtails.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X