Question about seed production.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about seed production.

I want to keep my White Widow Extreme genetics going. Do it easy; non-feminized seed. Once I have more seed to play with, then I'll work on a feminized version.

The question is how large/mature should I allow my plants to get before I go 12/12? I think I read on a seed site, and maybe somewhere else, that forcing 12/12 too early on breeding plants will create more hermies.

These two plants, the topped one ID'd as female early. The taller plant with the longer internodes (typical of a male) has not identified, and I suspect is a male.

BTW, both were victims of drought by neglect and their growth was stunted a bit as a result. You can see the scars of their experience in the yellow-edged lower leaves. They both appear to have recovered.

Any insights?

Click image for larger version

Name:	White Widow B, Week 7, 01-010-20 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	365567Click image for larger version

Name:	White Widow B, Week 7, 01-010-20 5.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	365566
    2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Plants look very nice. No insights here really - not a seed grower - but - you must test your seeds somewhere.............?
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      Canuck, thank you for the response. I'm confused about testing, though. I figure if I cross two seeds from the same strain I should have good genetics. I plan on planting what I get, flowering one, and selecting a couple of females to breed for feminized seed. If I like what I get out of the flowering plant, then I plan to vacuum seal and freeze the seeds for later use. Michigan law allows private individuals to grow up to 12 plants and to share cannabis as a gift. I see no prohibition against gifting seeds, so I can see a time where private growers share genetics in much the same way as home brewers share recipes. As for testing, I suppose if I had something really special I'd test it just to see what I had.

If you're not worried about yield at all and strictly want to make seeds they are big enough now. It looks like you probably planted them the week before Christmas? Three to four weeks is perfect if you're trying to flip them early and have some maturity but not waste time.

Comment

Thank you FunkyButt. The plants are actually three weeks older than that. I basically forgot to water everything I had and almost lost everything. I was lucky to save anything. The yellow leaves you see grew after the drought damaged the root system. I appreciate your advice. I'll use that and my desire to allow the plants to recover for a few extra days -- maybe top the girl now -- and go to 12/12 next Friday.
      2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
      2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
      2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
      2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

I have done seedlings at 12/12s from sprout without hermies, they dont get big!
        I have not researched the strain/s you are using, but you may get several phenotypes from the seed you make, unless they are a strain of there own (think landrace). You can get something absolutely fantastic! Just look at all the seed that says "accident in the growroom"!

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I just opened a jar of bud from my own auto seed (headbanger over Himalaya blue diesel), her sisters have not been this tasty or potent!

I think you’re on the right track. If you have a particular female that you like, you’d be better off breeding her clones if you want those traits. There are various levels of breeding but for your purposes cloning, selfing, and or batch breeding is your best bet to get plants that closely resemble what you’re accustomed to.

If you have an amazing strain you want to preserve you need to read this blog. Lets talk about breeding your own weed strain.
        Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X