No announcement yet.

Curled, clawing, yellowing leaves, slow growth, brown spots - 1st grow, in veg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Curled, clawing, yellowing leaves, slow growth, brown spots - 1st grow, in veg

Hi folks,

1st time grower here, excited to be a part of this community and the larger plant growing community! I have a problem with my plant and am looking for some help

First some details about my setup and measurements:

Strain: Bakerstreet (indica). Started from seed
    Growing medium: Soil, Promix premium organic: https://www.promixgardening.com/en/p...table-herb-mix
    Transplantations: twice so far. Of note, during the second transplant, the bottom half of the root ball partly broke away and I'm pretty sure some root damage occurred at this point. The broken off roots are still in the soil.
    Grow Light: 150W HID
    Light Height: Initially around 8-12" away from the plant. I've since moved lights further away (around 16" currently) given the problems I'm seeing
    Temperature Range: 68F - 79F
    Humidity: 40% - 50%
    Training: Some LST so far (accompanied by a one-time topping when the total number of nodes was around 6)
    Nutrients: I've fed them once with a bit of https://monjardinurbain.com/produit/...croissance-1l/ a few weeks ago. I'd say this is roughly when my problems started.
    pH of water going in: 7 - 7.5 (checking via color, and its a majority green color that I see)
    pH of runoff (currently): 5.0 (the color is solidly orange with a hint of yellow)
    Age: The plant is around a month and a half old and is in vegetative stage.

Issues:

The title summarizes the issues I'm seeing.

Timeline:

1. A few weeks ago, I fed the plant with some nutrients, choosing an amount well below the recommended dosage on the bottle (roughly a quarter). At roughly the same time, I also topped the plant and did some minimal LST on it.
    2. A week or so after the feeding, and approximately close to the time after the second transplant, I started seeing new leaves clawing in a manner that matched descriptions of nitrogen toxicity. Growth slowed down pretty dramatically at this point and the affected leaves also appeared "crispy" and dry. It was at this point that I decided to move the lights up further and reduce the load on the plant.
    3. A week after that (two weeks ago), with all new leaves displaying clawed leaves, I decided to flush the plant with plain water at roughly a 7 pH. This was when I also noticed that the runoff pH was as low as it is. As I was flushing, I did not see any noticeable change in the runoff pH.
    4. This week, growth is still slow and it sort of seems like new growth are not clawing any more, but I'm not a 100% sure about this because growth is super slow. Brown spots have also started to appear and I'm seeing new growth assume a yellowish tinge. Some of the older leaves are also turning yellow. The runoff pH after the watering today is still low and looks like it hasn't changed from last time. Today is the first I've watered since the flush, and I've done so with plain water at roughly 7 pH.

I'm pretty concerned about the health of the plant at this point. The issues I'm seeing all seem to be related to the low runoff pH, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix this. What I've done so far has not seemed to improve it, so would love any and all recommendations from y'all. Where have I gone wrong and what am I missing? Please let me know if I can provide any more info.

Thanks a lot!

You've done a lot with your plant - I would leave it be and let it grow.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Canuck147 Thanks! Should i not worry about nutrients etc for now and just continue with plain watering for a while?

Comment

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh - cannabis plants love/need their nutes- I water my plants with nutes/water/nutes/water etc. But I supplement the water feeding with either a tea blend or organic molasses.
        And I have never measured the ph of my runoff.

• Drtitus
        Drtitus commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds good, thanks!

I'm not a soil grower but it seems that the folks who do say that pH of the run-off water isn't an accurate measure of soil pH. I'd just try to keep the solution you're watering with is somewhere between 6&7.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I make my own organic soil, I no longer check PH, just get everything in the soil thats needed and it takes care of its self. From there read the plant, she'll tel you what she needs.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X