Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light question

Light question

Novice grower here, wanting to upgrade my lights.

My current setup, home built cabinet, 48hx36wx20 deep (inches)

Two 12 volt PC fans (130 mm) for exhaust, I have vents cut into bottom opposite side of the exhaust fans.

I currently have a homemade cfl light setup. 8x40w

I am trying (for the first time) a homemade SCROG 2" squares.

I use 3 gal fabric pots.

I grow Northern Lights photo period, and last two grows I got about 2 oz per plant.

My setup.

I have removed the shelf, and replaced with scrog screen.

I have also removed the little heater and replaced it with a 200w chicken coop heater, controlled by a thermostatically controlled outlet.

With my cfl lights I can keep them close to my plants.

I am thinking about an LED Quantum board.

Like this

Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 100 V2 3000K Quantum Board LED Grow Light Veg & Bloom | Version 2 High-Efficiency Upgraded LM301B LED'S

Amazon currently has this for $149.

I have these concerns

how close can i place LED lights to my plants?

How much heat does this add?

Is my cabinet to small?

Do Northern Lights stretch to much when flowering?

What are the recommendations?

Cannabis capsules 4 all 💊

First Grow Northern Lights

"I will always be improving "(tinkering)"
    "Not all those who wander are lost"
    J. R. R. Tolkien

The HLG 100 is nondimmable. You will probably need a foot and a half or so of space between light and plant. I'll put a reddit link below to a place called space buckets. They turn all kinds of things into growing environments for plants. It's pretty genius. If you show them a picture of your cabinet, I bet they could help you get that cabinet up and running. The main question is, what kind of yields are you wanting? Heavy use? That cabinet isn't big enough.

Comment

i can't see how any of these space buckets work with quantum boards.. many have 9 inches to a foot clearence max in late flower it seems.. i guess dimmers or bleached out cola's are abound.

Comment

So here are two that I am looking at.

California lightworks solar extreme 250

Viparspectra dimmable 450w

Any others I should be looking at?

Any to stay away from?

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Ok so i have decided to go with the hlg 260w
          Hlg 260w $229.00

Premiere high end indoor gardening LED grow lights for hobbyists & professionals looking to remove HPS & lower electricity costs by 60% while increasing yields.

any good reason not to go this way?

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
            FunkyButtLovin commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a pretty sweet light and I believe it would work amazing in that cabinet.

Originally posted by Cannacaps4U2 View Post
          Ok so i have decided to go with the hlg 260w
          Hlg 260w $229.00

Premiere high end indoor gardening LED grow lights for hobbyists & professionals looking to remove HPS & lower electricity costs by 60% while increasing yields.

any good reason not to go this way?
          That is going to be a bit much for 5 sq ft of canopy. Because of your headroom issues, I'd go with this- https://horticulturelightinggroup.co...-led-board-kit
          This board is approx 6% less efficient than the current lm301b QB. I use a 4000k panel in my mother/clone tent 30x20 and they love it.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Obi-Wan
            Obi-Wan commented
            Editing a comment
            The onboard dimmer on the driver allows his fixture to be dialed back to 135 watts and both fixtures use the 288 V1 boards so they’re both using the same chips.

Originally posted by gbauto View Post

That is going to be a bit much for 5 sq ft of canopy. Because of your headroom issues, I'd go with this- https://horticulturelightinggroup.co...-led-board-kit
          This board is approx 6% less efficient than the current lm301b QB. I use a 4000k panel in my mother/clone tent 30x20 and they love it.
          Well I do think the 260w may be a bit strong, however with the ability to dim, and the physical size would make this a better fit.

I did consider the 135, but I want to stay with the same watts ± that I currently use.
          I have read that you should have 30-50 watts per sqft, with 6 sqft I should have between 180 and 300watts

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• Obi-Wan
            Obi-Wan commented
            Editing a comment
            With Quantum boards you will find that you will need 30-40 watts per square foot depending on how they are driven. I would guess that with your chosen fixture and the spread it will provide for your space, you’ll probably be happy around 200-225 watts during flower and about 150 watts for Veg. I’m finishing up a round of flowering right now where I used 275 watts over 8 sq. ft., so about 34 watts per sq. ft.

• Cannacaps4U2
            Cannacaps4U2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Obi what distance from the top of the canopy did you place your qb light?
            And on this board how did you check your watts?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X