pH question I should know by now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH question I should know by now

But I don't! I just put a gallon each into my Gorilla grows. Plant "A" was water/nutes at 6.6 pH and runoff was 5.5 pH. Plant "B" was fed at 6.5 pH and runoff was 5.8 pH. With this information I need to know (or at least understand) what the pH is at the root zone. Is it halfway between the in and out pH? Some magical FM number from the sky? Should I be feeding in the alkaline range to get the runoff range more to the 6.2 - 6.5 range? I know this is important and don't want too many more grows guessing. What's the point of checking and pHing the water/nutes if I don't know what exactly it means or what way I should compensate?
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

That is too much to worry about - therefore - I have never ph'ed my runoff water - don't intend to start.

So I'm no help - maybe it's important or .............
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I have learned some strains are real ph sensitive. Others not so much. I used to ph my runoff and I have quit doing it except when I flush a plant as I am more curious then I think it’s really needed. I had a northern lights clone that no matter what ph I set the water to it would turn yellow a little after a feeding. And kept doing it all the way from veg to flower. So I did not clone that plants genetics. It was a good smoke but not what I wanted to grow again. Some plants I think are more sensitive than others and that’s just the nature of the beast. Just keep after it and keep growing.
      4x4 flower tent
      sour dream
      Blue Diesel
      Trainwreck
      platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
      Green Dream
      Sour Dream
      blue dream
      Freakshow

Comment

Rather than put an entire dissertation on root zone pH.... this article is long but covers a significant window of the value of pH. It’s really a good article that will either persuade you to be pH focused or pH indifferent

Learn how to easily adjust pH up and down if needed for your cannabis grow. It helps prevent nutrient deficiencies!

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
          OlderNOTwiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea, as soon as I got to the part that said it to me I was like....This is what happens when you post stuff straight!

I build my own organic soil, put everything thats needed in it, and dont worry about the PH. From there the girls tell me what they want, then add that as needed. A headbanger wanted sulfur, lots of sulfur or she turned yellow.

Comment

Run off = half way between input and root zone.
          In the cases above, your root zone would be near 4.5 - 4.8
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
            OlderNOTwiser commented
            Editing a comment
            I was first checking on my outdoor grow this past summer. Runoff was about 5.5 pretty consistently. I was watering/feeding at near 7. So roots were near 4? I started bumping up the pH on that one but aphids cut the grow short. Now I have two Expert Gorillas going (indoors) and they're the A and B plants above. One is poorly quad-lined and the other just LST bonzai. If I'm not overthinking too much I'd need the input up to well over 7 to begin bringing the runoff up. How high of an input pH is safe? Don't want to start too basic...like giving them a lye bath. Doubt that would end well.

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Check with the soil manufacturer. Flush at the highest recommended ph until root zone is with in spec.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X