Brown spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown spots

Anyone know what is causing brown spots on my seedling??? This is my first attempt at DWC. Any help would be awesome.

Are you spraying anything on the leaves?
    ​​​​

Comment

• Txhellhound01
      Txhellhound01 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, just ph'ed r.o water and gh Flora trio at quarter strength plus cal- mag.

• SirSmksAlot
      SirSmksAlot commented
      Editing a comment
      How close is your light and what light are you using?

I’m assuming your seeding is in rock wool cube...did you flush the rock wool before putting the seedling in it?
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Txhellhound01
      Txhellhound01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes,in 5.5 ph' Ed r.o water for 24 hours.

Looks mighty wet; you may be drowning the roots...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Txhellhound01
      Txhellhound01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a feeling that was the problem. I couldn't find any info on how long to leave the top feed running.

Looks like a water issue to me.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

So how long should I leave the top feed running each day?? I've been letting it run 24 hours.

Comment

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Move the top feeder a few inches off to the side of the rock wool cube. Part of the idea is to entice roots to away from the stem.
        I would let the whole top area dry out for a few days then start top feeding again.

What is your res temp? Any higher than 74 and you can get issues with root rot unless you are using a root inoculate (like hydroguard). I dont use top feed personally but as soon as the roots are able to touch the res water you can stop the top feed. It also looks like the top of your pebbles are wet which can promote algae growth so just make sure not to keep the top of your hydroton wet. If your top feed is literally at the top you may want to move it to the middle of the net pot instead. It looks like you have either a ph or root issue though both can look the same. Plus i would do 5.8 or 6.0 instead of 5.5 for ph. Cal gets locked out below 6.0 and magnesium at like 5.8. Check the chart i have attached to see.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here’s another great graphic to keep near your grow space as well.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the excellent information.

Comment

What did you decide was happening? Did you take a specific action and see an improvement?

Comment

• Txhellhound01
              Txhellhound01 commented
              Editing a comment
              I turned the top feed off an I'm letting it dry out into tomorrow. I'm changing the water today and adjusting the pH to 5.8-6.0. I'm using cfl's right now.I have 12 100 watt
              equivalent bulbs.. All of them are no closer than 10 to 12" from the plant.

• DingusKhan
              DingusKhan commented
              Editing a comment
              I also recently found the exact same thing! I created the "schnorckel", a way to top feed my babies without putting a punp down in the bottom of the res. I was too lazy to set them both up, and the one with the schnorkel LAGGED while the one that got neglected TOOK OFF!. As soon as I removed the schnorkel from the smaller plant, BOOM! She's starting to catch up.

I think I'm done with top feed. I just keep the solution within a half inch of hte bottom of the cup, and the bubbles from the aeration stone keeps the pebbles moist, and the roots growing out for more soliution!

Txhellhound01 Just a few more thoughts to mull over.

1- What is your water height in the reservoir in regards to the basket? (It should be just below the basket by ~1/2 inch)
            2- If there are no roots reaching the reservoir, you shouldn’t need to do anything with it yet other than control pH. At this early stage, nutes can be hard on a little plant. You could just remove half the water and replace with pH fresh water to reduce the PPM.
            3- You asked earlier about how long you need to use top feed. Since you already using it, it really only needs to be used until your plants roots reach the reservoir (Which should be just below the basket right now). Once the roots touch water, lower the water by one inch. Do that for a second time. Then the third time the roots reach water just let them continue growing down. On next water changes, keep a 1” airspace between the top of the water and the bottom of the basket. This will help prevent root rot issue from a wet stump.

I personally don’t think automatic/continuous top feeding is necessary for a small garden. I use a 60ml syringe to “top feed” with pH water at approximately 1” away from the rock wool cube. I do this once a day until roots reach water. Auto systems are just a waste of electricity and can be another point of failure in a garden.

Comment

The water is about half an inch from the basket. The pH is about 6.o and the notes are about 325. I'll go ahead and change half the water and turn the top feed off. I'll try hand watering for a couple of days and see how that goes. I'll post a pic in a few so you can see what I have going on.

Comment

• YYCannabis
                YYCannabis commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck. Hopefully she recovers nicely for you.

Just wondering if I should clip the brown leaves off of just leave them???

Comment

• YYCannabis
                YYCannabis commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait. No hurry to get rid of them. Once there are several branches above them you can clip them back.

Any updates? Pics?

Comment

• Txhellhound01
                Txhellhound01 commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems to be doing a hell of a lot better now that I changed the water and killed the top feed. When I took the top off the bucket, I noticed two white roots about 6 inches long lol.

Comment

• DingusKhan
                DingusKhan commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice! Looking much better.

I personally would cut off the brown stuff. They probably aren't doing much photosynthesis like that, they look like shit, and you plant is over it, as evidenced by healthy new growth. I wouldn't want to have to keep looking at them, wondering if my plant still felt that way.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X