No announcement yet.

Brown spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy shit this plant is taking off!!! I'm assuming it will continue to grow like this all the way to the end?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191227_163727.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	360567

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to cover your basket with aluminum foil ASAP. I can see openings along the top of the clay marbles. Root issues will plague you if you allow light in through those openings.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Or add more hydroton until the holes are covered.
      But yes, that is what happy leaves look like. Nice save!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191227_163721.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	360569

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Trim the damages leaves. New growth is looking great! 👍

Like this
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Txhellhound01
      Txhellhound01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, brown leaves gone,added more pebbles,and fixing to put some mylar over the basket. One more question, can I use 3% peroxide to help prevent algae from forming?? I have hydroguard on the way,it should be here Tuesday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191228_112728.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	360700Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191228_112718.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	360699

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      DingusKhan I’d have to check. Local hydro shop only has some Enzyme Komplete or some such thing.

• Drekthar
      Drekthar commented
      Editing a comment
      As an FYI i'm in Canada and get Hydroguard from Amazon all the time...

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Drekthar I saw it on amazon as well. I can’t justify the price for it.

I'm fixing to do a water change now and my hydroguard comes in Tuesday so I'm thinking It should be alright. I have to say thanks again to everyone for everything. She's made a complete turn around and growing at an ALARMING rate lol. Just wish I knew what strain it is lol. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay! So glad to hear that you've got her dialed in. See, growing weed really isn't that hard once you've been playing at it for a while, and don't let the set backs bum you out too much.

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin' good Tx.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Great recovery there fella, she's looking cheery

Ok so, here's the update... The brown spots came back with a vengeance !!! I have no clue what is causing it. The pH is right, the nutrients are right, tank temp is ok, grow box temp is ok. The humidity is low but I don't think think that would cause this??

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      If that lady is starting to show preflower buds, it could be phosphorus deficiency.

What is your water/feed routine? (ie do you do water only top-ups or always add nutes when doing anything water related) I was doing only H2o top-ups at the start of flower and has similar symptoms because the plant wanted phosphorus more than anything at the time, and I was starving it.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like root rot to me. Are you using a root inoculate (aka hydroguard or equiv) with every res change? Do you wear gloves when dealing with res water? I found when doing hydro i have to keep everything sterilized or i run into root rot issues. Early on i had issues but once i added hydroguard and was extra careful with disinfecting and sanatization i no longer had root issues. Also you may need to sterilize your hoses as well.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Tersky. Have you lifted up the lid and looked at your roots?

It's official, she's got root rot!!! I removed the lid and there it was!! Sooo... What should I do now?? I've heard someone say to clean and sterilize the tank, fill with clean water and hydroguard, then spray the roots off in the sink and return to the tank. I'm about ready to fill a spray bottle with peroxide and spray the s#!+out of the roots. Thinking my next try will be in Coco!!

Comment

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

I am a fan of bleach, and there will be a cacophany of nay sayers. But bleach is not harsh "chemicals", at least, not after you dilute it down. If you add it to your reservoir, the bubbles will evaporate off the bleach in a couple days.

I would add 2 tablespoons (30ml) to your tank, either now or after you change your fluids, but you can just do it now, and let it go for a day or two. Then I would take your net cup out, and use your dish sprayer to wash off as much brown schmoo as you can. It may be worth it to trim your roots to about 8 inches hanging down, and then it will be easier to wash the roots.

Put them back in a fresh, disinfected tank with 2 tablespoons of bleach and your usual nutrient mix. Don't worry about pH for the next 48hours.

After 48 hours, check your roots again, they should be less brown and stinky with fresh white roots growing out of the brown stuff.

If you really can't abide the idea of bleach, hydrogen peroxide will have a similar effect, but you have to use more of it at a time.

Of course, you must also find and eliminate the cause of your root rot, especially light and heat in your reservoir.
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting bleach lol. I'll be giving it a try here shortly. I'm assuming I can bleach everything in the tank to disinfect it?? Air stones, hoses and all?? Usually when I clean the tank I dump a bottle of peroxide in and fill the tank with 130° water and let it soak for about 15 min. After that I rinse the tank, dry and spray everything with 90% isopropyl and let it set 5 or 10 min before rinsing and drying. I'm pretty sure light is the culprit.I just switched to all black hoses and put a cover over the basket. So maybe that will help.

Comment

Remember, you don't need a lot. In fact, you won't even be able to smell it in your tank after it is that diluted. Your air stones will also blow the chlorine out of the water in a couple days. You will have to start adding hydrogard. Or if it make you feel better, you can replace your reservoir again, in fact, repeatedly, will also help clear your infection.

Also check your reservoir temperature when your lights are blasting the container. It might be getting too warm in there.

If you soak in peroxide or bleach for long enough, there is no benefit to rinsing with alcohol. That's just belt and suspenders. Soak in stronger bleach solution, then rinse well. You can soak your airstones, but it's not that expensive to replace them with each new grow. Get a big 10 inch. huh huh huh.

And by the way, a comment was made last time I brought up bleach, I can't remember by whom, that doctors and nurses never used bleach on human wounds.

Not true, it's called Dakin's Solution. Dilute bleach with a little baking soda. I did it all the time as an army medic in the field and at Walter Reed Emergency Room in Washinton DC.

Dakin solution, also called Dakin fluid or Carrel-Dakin fluid, is a dilute sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) solution commonly known as bleach. The mixture of sodium peroxide (NaO) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) produces sodium hypochlorite. The main active agent in Dakin's solution is created when the chlorine in the solution reacts with water in the environment to form hypochlorous acid (HClO). This hypochlorous acid produces a potent antibacterial effect in tissues. This activity reviews the mechanism of action, adverse event profile, toxicity, and administration of Dakin solution as it applies to the clinical setting.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. Bleach is in the tank as we speak. Hopefully I can keep it gone this time. By the way, how many ppm's should I keep my nutes at???I read somewhere around 400??

Comment

Awesome. I hope you are able to clear this up. As far as ppm, I just go by full strength, half strength, etc. I don't measure ppm or EC. Just ph. I just start with half strength or less, and gradually increase if my plants don't look green enough.

Comment

Just a lil update, the root rot became a continuous problem so I decided to give up and let her fade away.a couple of weeks after, I read an article about the benefits of humic and fulvic acids and kelp. I ordered a bottle of ancient earth humic and a bottle of clean kelp. Once it arrived,I applied it to my CBD plant I'm growing in ocean Forest. My little hydro girl was just sitting there giving up the ghost so I decided to give her a shot of each just for the hell of it. Two days later, I went to check on everything and was shocked to see my hydro girl reaching for the heavens!!! I took the top off the tank, and found a ball of long,bright white healthy roots in the tank.!!!I can't fathom how this happened after two weeks of complete neglect!! Almost 1/4 of the water had evaporated, the p.h was off by a lot, and the ppm's were way out of whack. Wish I would have found this out in the beginning!!! I'm sold on ancient earth and clean kelp!!!
                Just thought I'd share this. Again, thank you everyone for the helpful info..I have two new girls now. One in Coco and one in f.f. ocean Forest. Once they grow up I'm gonna give the d.w.c. one more try.

Comment

• SirSmksAlot
                  SirSmksAlot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've used ancient earth for my last 3 grows. This grow I decided not to use it. The only reason was to cut down on some of the bottles in my routine. I think I'll start using it again lol. Glad things have turned around for you!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X