Help needed with Trichomes/harvesting decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Help needed with Trichomes/harvesting decision

I am brand new to growing and I am so thankful to this community for helping me through every step. Right now, I am looking at trichomes trying to determine when to harvest. I read a bunch about what the different color trichomes mean, but I’d really appreciate and benefit from the eye of an expert on my garden. There’s a 1000x magnification video of one bud below. What is your opinion on these trichomes? Am I far off from harvest or getting close? I’m hoping for mostly cloudy trichomes because I’m more into euphoria than couchlock. The strain is super silver haze and it should flower for 12-14 weeks. We are in Week 8 of flower right now. Thank you thank you thank you!

Trichomes at 1000x - https://youtu.be/Au9CvLElf5M

Nice looking buds. I'm seeing a fair amount of clear on the vid. I like to wait until I see about 10% amber because at that point the majority should be cloudy. Toughest part is waiting long enough, especially on your first few grows. I know for a fact I took my first ones too soon. Super Silver Haze is a killer strain so you should let go as long as you can.
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

It's hard for me to see in that lighting. Anything non-blurple?
      I've found my buds look further along in flowering, under my LED, than they do in natural or fluorescent light.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. My Mars Hydro throw a yellow white light that def makes em look further along than they are.

​​​​​​​Gingerbeard - Thanks so much for taking a look. A video from my microscope, taken in normal lighting here: https://youtu.be/Au9CvLElf5M

Gluteous - Thank you very much for the advice. Super silver haze is my favorite to smoke and it's hard to find it so that's why I chose it. I can see why it's hard to find with this long flowering time, but I know it will be worth it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Missed the link at first. I got a little motion sick watching that SimpleGrower12. But it looks like you're pretty evenly clear with some milkening happening. Patience is the worst thing about growing weed.
        Are you using molasses?
        Have you checked this out?
        Harvesting cannabis at the right time is just as important as how you grow the plant. Harvest marijuana buds too soon and you lose potency and yields; too late and you can end up making a batch of sleep medicine. Learn how to harvest at the perfect time, every time! Here's what you need...

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gingerbeard I did check that link out but I kept doubting myself and I really value and have more confidence in the experts on this forum. I’m not using molasses but I will look into that. Thanks so much.

Dang, mang. Good job! So shiny
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        DingusKhan Thank you for the boost. As a first timer I have nothing to compare this to so thanks for letting me know I’m on the right track.

I see cloudy&clear right on track, 3wks or less my 2cents. Great job first timer
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the props!

Morning 12, and welcome to Gwe, you did great with your first grow, beautiful plant, pictures an video.
      Imo, your very close to harvest if your looking for euphoria, I see cloudy, clear, and a little amber, what I've noticed is when the heads of the trichs are full from the weight and start falling over and milky white, it's really potent at that stage.
      Hazes, do take longer, so you just need to watch her real close,
      I can't wait to see some more of your progress, and pictures, videos.
      Great Job #12.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll definitely keep an eye out for the heads of the trichs getting full and falling over. I'll be sure to post some updates. Thank you soooo much! The encouragement is everything.

Day 66 of flower on this super silver haze grow and I’m seeing a lot of trichome color change. Would love any opinions from folks on the forum on this progress - Another microscope video at 1000x magnification: https://youtu.be/iYB4ngMTeH8

Thank you!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SimpleGrower12; 12-27-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Very well done sir.

That looks awesome! If my current run comes out like that I'll be thrilled. Congratulations.

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you StillHigh, I wish you all the luck on your garden!

Beautiful, nice job.Looks like it's certainly gonna be very potent smoke, when ready.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I am flushing now, hoping for the best.

SimpleGrower12 In your many successful harvests to come, you will find you have a preference in your trichome percentages. Especially if you grow the same strain more than once.
      Jingle bells for trichomes.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I am beginning to see that people have different preferences. I know I like euphoria and I'm looking for a daytime strain so hopefully I can time it just right.

Lots and lots of cloudy, some clear and a couple amber. If it were mine I'd let it go another week. Looks killer!
      Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• SimpleGrower12
        SimpleGrower12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Another trusted source said a week as well. I'll check with the microscope again and hopefully we will be ready for harvest in just a few more days.

Much gratitude to all the folks on this forum! We harvested earlier this week and ended up with 3 kg wet from 3 plants. Drying them now!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sledrock
        Sledrock commented
        Editing a comment
        Subtract about 75% of that Wet Weight -so when they're dry you'll have about 1 kilo (2.2 pounds), minus stem weight, of course.

Nice job, especially for a first grow!

After drying about a week, I trim up the buds and THEN weigh, right before I jar them.
        Last edited by Sledrock; 01-10-2020, 11:35 PM.

Congrats on the harvest and awesome yield! I'd be so excited if I were you. I'm still quite a few weeks ago. Great job on the grow! What light were you growing under?

Comment

Sigh...you set the bar SO HIGH...
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X