Light the Grow Gher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light the Grow Gher!

Have I ever missed all y'all. I've been lurking and re-reading all the incredible GWE wisdom and lore, getting ready to drop seeds. It's been a little over a year since I harvested about 4 pounds of legal, outdoor, backyard grow. I still have a bunch of that, but I can't stand not having anything growing any longer.

Also, my young friend, lets call her "NinjaBear", has been interested in growing, so I'm setting her up with a couple auto-seeds; one in soil, one in a DWC bucket, and handing down my first, cheep, Amazon LED grow lights: MarsHydro 300 from about 2 years ago. They were inexpensive, perfect for a bedroom closet grow, and grew me about 5 ounces of some tasty ass buds on my first grow.

Finally, when I saw Mr.furley "show your grow" thread I had to do it. I wet-toweled 5 seeds that have been waiting in my desk drawer. A Holy Grail Kush by DNA genetics, also 2 Northern LightsXBigBud/Ryders and 2 Auto Diesel (True North Seeds Freebie).

So far, the HGK, and 1 each of the autos have sprouted. The other NLBB started a tiny root, but did nothing after I transfered it to a RapidRooter. The Auto Diesel went into a rock wool cube only because I bought a pack of cubes when the grow shop was out of rapidrooters. This is my 2nd attempt, the first failed.

They are going to spend their first few days under T5 and an LED flood lamp. Then HGK is going into a DWC bucket with MegaCrop, Auto Diesel is going into a cup of Happy Frog soil, and the NL/BB is going to NinjaBear, also in DWC probably in bottled noots.

Below are pics of my starts and my seedling veg closet. As always, I aim to keep it easy.

Peace!
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Dingus, you are off to a great start!! Man, I wish I could harvest 4 lbs!!!!!!!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      @ATU the message you sent I lost it when I clicked it? Went to reply and it disappeared? Sorry don't want to hijack this thread.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks tat. You totally will in your future Oregon back yard!

Hi SoOrbudgal, no worries.

One of the NL/BB that put out a tiny tap root placed in rooter seems to have fizzled. I stuck it in a cup of soil but I think it's dead. But otherwise, we have 3/5 live births from the Costco Rotisserie Chicken Germination Station, sitting on a heat pad set to 82. I'm keeping the HGK and the auto diesel.

And just to further try to tempt you alltatup and the bourgening masses of GWE to the dark side of Southern Oregon, here's from my back yard last October. The bare skeleton was Purple Hindu Kush with Vanilla Kush still ripening in the background. They and the others were grown in 100 gallon smart bags (about 5 feet diameter by 2 feet high) with Gaia's Gift organic soil from Grant's Pass, (southern) Oregon.

As you can see, I did a version of LST as promoted by Scott, the youtube guy who sounds a little like a rabbi (also a southern Oregonian, despite the accent), staking the main stalk to a cane stuck at 45 degrees away from the sun makes a HUGE, wide bush, wrapped in 4 inch fence for support.

You can have 4 plants, legally, here. But no pressure, or anything.

It's also kinda fun to show the bookends of a 14 month gap. Whoa...

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for your loss, Dingus: the Cannabis goddess giveth, and the Cannabis goddess taketh away... And I'll bet southern OR is a lot less expensive than up north. I will have to check out any intentional communities in the regions around Roseburg...

SoOrbudgal I am so excited for you to retire!!! The clearing sounds like a great idea.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      SoOrbudgal, we GWE'rs need to stick together, and I especially think we need to start a committee to bring alltatup to (Stephen A) Douglas County. The State of Jefferson needs more of us who truly insist on living free.

If you mean this year's harvest, I know what you mean. Several of my friends, growers and local hemp farmers, and even the grape growers really took it in the rear this year. 2019 was pretty shitty luck, getting hammered with that blizzard last spring, and then a complete comedy of climate errors for growing anything outside. Not like last year.

The only thing growing fabulously this year were the fleas and ticks.

• Daskahn
      Daskahn commented
      Editing a comment
      Intentional communities? Southern Oregon and legal.. well show me where I can put my gardens and and a place 2-5 people may lay their heads and I might just be on board lol

DingusKhan I got a sister she lives in central point but that area has gone way up in land prices and homes. Saw many hemp fields wandering around Medford and other areas during a wino weekend last summer. I just love that area dryer but damn get fire smoke in that bowl in grants pass.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I so know what you mean. I happened to go buy a used camp trailer off Craigslist in Grants Pass the day after the Mile Post 97 fire started in Canyonville. It was eerie driving down I-5 through a smoldering fire in that canyon, but Grant's Pass was totally socked it with smoke. It was worse than normal Oregon morning fog. A lot of Roseburg wine grape growers couldn't sell their crops because of smoke flavor.

The grow gher makes imperceptibly slow progress. 3 of our 5 seeds have graduated to sprout status, the Holy Grail Kush, and one each of the Northern Lights/BigBud Ryders and Auto Diesel. One each NL and Auto-Diesel have gone dud. I'm keeping HGK and Auto D. NL/BBR went into the 5 gallon bucket that hosted my very first grow.

Thanks to GWE, that bucket blessed me with about 5 ounces of very sweet, sticky Dairy Queen (TGA seeds) that even impressed some old stoner friends. It has also blessed me with 3 or 4 other harvests since then. It is a very good bucket.

But after my first few grows, I wanted bigger plants that wanted a bigger reservoir, and have switched to Sterilite stackable bins. Even though they're from Walmart, I like that the lids fit on the big AND medium (half height) bins, which are perfect for bubble-cloning (my preferred method) and seedlings, are black (lightproof) and pretty sturdy. You can also have several different versions of lids with holes cut for grow cups, cloning collars, etc.

Since I believe NinjaBear can handle it if I set her up with an Auto and a Photoperiod, I dropped a couple OG Kush seeds that will go in soil. They have been soaked for 24 hours until they sank, and a day and half in wet paper towel in a sushi dipping dish in the Costco Rotisserie Chicken Humidity Tray on a heating pad. When they FINALLY put forth a rootlet, after about 48 hours, I placed them in Bio Rooters (equivalent to Rapid Rooter).

When they poke out the top they will go into Happy Frog with additional perlite and coco, about 10% each, in a clear vietnamese soup to-go cup until roots are visible, then into a 3 gallon bag or Ocean Forest or a local organic live soil, if I can find a small amount of it in December. NinjaBear and I will raise one each, take cuttings later, and LST into something really cool to flower out.

It is such a pleasure to be growing again, sharing with all you fine GWE growers and jokers.

Peace

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometime Dingus we'll have to meet since were only 70mi from eachother. When I get my thing going full year round ( very soon we can trade clones? I've not got much going right now but soon. Having germination farts right now, keep moving my starter setup around to warmer areas they are not speedy at the moment on the autos only 1 out of 3 seeds so far it's been 5days. Moved them into small soil now with humidity cups on top under light and near woodstove (not to close) autos are a challenge for me which I've struggled with.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Budgal, are congratulations in order yet? Retirement?

I misunderstood you earlier, and thought you were also here in Roseburg. But 70 miles is still close enough! I would love to trade clones, black cherry sounds awesome. If I don't manage to kill them, I should have OGK and HGK cuttings alive in about February.

I'm going to up Salem to meet JDU on Sunday, who needs to rehome some Mango clones. I offered to bring one back for you.

Are you using a warming pad? Sitting on an insulator? They work wonders. I have one set under the plastic tray that the rotisserie chicken box is sitting in, set to 80. The seeds seem very happy so far.

Day 5: Yay! we have roots! Also OGK seeds were placed in BioRooters this morning, and the seed heads are just about to break surface. You can see the one on the left has already shed her seed husk, the other is still helmeted, and will break out by morning.

Rx Solutions: These are the nutrients I've been using for the early part. The Farm Store carried the brand for a while, but then cleared it out, when I bought the last of it. I've never tried GH's trio, I'm guessing this is pretty much equivalent. It's grown me some really nice buds. I've since switched to MegaCrop, but I wanna try this stuff again before I give it to my friend with her little plant.

By the way, you heard that right. I buy most of my grow supplies from the local farm store. They intentionally carry stuff for pot growers. Oregon RULES.
    Last edited by DingusKhan; 12-11-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I just placed some auto seeds into soil cups from paper towel and soaking. Only one has come through so far, autos don't like me LOL but they will learn ")

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I started my first grow in the winter, a little before Christmas. I truly think this is the best time of all to start a grow. So much crap going on out there, sometimes I just need to hide in my closet and watch the grass grow. And seeing seeds break ground is the first of the favorite events!

The sprouts in this tub have not been getting top feed. I meant to put a schnorkel in there, but I've been alternating between too busy and too stoned to get around to it.

The water is about an inch below the bottom of the cup, and there's a single 6 inch bubble stone going on in there. It's just enough to keep the clay balls moist underneath, and the top of the rooter slightly damp to the touch.

I know it's been about a year, so my gut feeling might be out of calibration. But this seems just about as fast as previous grows that did get top feed.

Any thoughts about top feed?

Comment

DingusKhan regarding top feed. I used it from start to finish on my very first grow not knowing WTF I might be doing. Several comments about not needing the top feed after the first few weeks but the first impression of a video I saw stuck with me. The feed ran 15 minutes every hour from a separate reservoir and that grow was spectacular. If I were to go with hydro again, I would absolutely do it the same way.

Ive posted this link several times but I really worked for me and it stimulated the mad scientist in me so it was even better😉

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        By The Way: the roots when this was completed filled the entire 5 gallon bucket....JAM packed, plants were 5’ tall and I had used some inexpensive blurple lights.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow man, that's SA-WEEEET! What an efficient use of space for a sea of green in a 2X4 tent, which is what I have. My last tent-grow was one plant in big tote, which yielded a little under a half pound with an LEC315, but it took abut 5 months and a shit load of trimming and training. Maybe I need to try a SOG, once. Even just 4 or 6 plants, but in DWC, maybe 3 months... I need more babies.

The veg closet has gotten rather crowded, special thanks to JDU sharing some killer clones and a seedling. SoOrbudgal one of these mangoes and some DD seeds are for you!

My first noot feeding was mixed "light", but Holy Grail Kush still getting a little nutrient burn nonetheless. I read she was hungry for heavy feeding, maybe not this early out the gate. THE CLAW DECIDES. So today I dumped out about a quarter of the tote and replaced it with water.

On the other hand, Auto Diesel looks a little yellow-blotchy inspite of enjoying the light nutrient mix that seemed to burn HGK. She is doing well, and just to see if it stepped it up, I added a schnorkel after all.

At 5 days old, I'm still blown away at how tiny the soil cup seedlings of OG Kush are growing very slow, still tiny.

One of these mango clones is going into the flower tent pretty soon, I can feel it!
      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking like my germination area Dingus abit of everything. I have seeds in towels&baggies spread all over living room where woodstove is for heat, especially this a.m. 28 degress clear and frosty outside. Got my 2 sweet tooth auto still not showing through cups been 7days think i'll see what happened to the tails, my guess they got to cold in soil even though they been sitting in a warm room with humidity dome on ?? So I started 2 Durban poison auto and a Berry Ryder auto to go with the GDP auto which is 2wks old holding it's own under the t-5 which is on 24hrs.

Would be a real challenge to get those 2 sweet tooth to join in make it 6 autos. When my lights come on in the 4x4 tent i'll pull out my 3 photos show you what the Black Cherry Punch and Burnt Cookie look like they are in wk. 5 of flower. My plan is to put the 1 black cherry and mokum clones in with the autos. Trying to get a head start with the autos, but yes it's noticeably slower in winter, I believe they feel it? It's in the upper 60's in my up stairs tent area without lights on and the cool temps are seeming to speed up the color changes of the leaves cool soil & roots?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191219_074107534_HDR.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	358891 So the (actual) grow gher (flower tent, 2x4) is lit. I need to put the fan in the sprout closet back in to extract some of the hot air that 315CMH is venting into the room. It's staying just under 80F in the tent with 30% humidity. I left the lights on for 24 hours for their first day after transplantation and going under their new light.

They went into a 2x4x5ft tent with a 4 inch inline poked into the vent sock on top, extracting hot air from the top and blowing out through and elbow pointed at the ballast sitting top of the tent, keeping it much cooler than normal.

JDU Mango clones are so big and vigorous, they really are about ready to put into flower. AND I have to get them out before these Holy Grail Kush need the tent, as well as some other clones by then. There's about 22 inches between the light and the top of the plants. The tent is short enough that when my last grow got tall, I took the yoyos off, and hung the angle hangers directly over the top middle tent rail, so it's really as close as it can physically get without damaging the tent.

BigBud is a young seedling, just planted in 3gal of Royal Gold Basement Mix. I might veg her for a while, maybe a single, big.assed.tent.filler. Push the limits of a 2x4.

The one on the left is in happy frog, the other is in Royal Gold Basement Mix, which is what they had at the little grow shop off I-5 in South Eugene. It's a coco based, soiless, compost mix something something... It's supposed to drain nicely like coco, won't need fed for a couple months, then MegaCrop Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191219_074057210_HDR.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	358886 .

The DWC sisters are doing unevenly. Holy Grail Kush has taken off and has lots of roots. Auto Diesel has stalled, gotten blotchy, suddenly looks nutrient burned AND deficient, I'm going to replace her noots tonight, with no more schnorkel. HGK has done so well without one, I am beginning to doubt the value of top feed.

Thanks again for all who've been stopping by.
      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Dingus I will help ease the space issue. I'm trying to find time to get away as I've got company coming today Friday, so that's and overnighter. Saturday afternoon may be the plan. I will pm you. My last seed popped for my autos up next in the flower tent. 2 Durban poison, 1 berry ryder, 1 granddaddy purp. May pop more auto seeds if durbans turn out male.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget your 5 Dutch Dope regular seeds from JDU! That really sounds like a fun grow. I'm planning on dropping the Durban Poison Auto that you shared with me for the solo grow. I love having local grow buddies!

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for checking in ocgreen!

Lookin good!! They should explode in those big pots They could grow awhile if you have the room, I took them on 10/17 & they had a good 3wk setback. Well I hope they make you as happy as they did me while growing them & as stoned as their momma just got me!!!
      Last edited by JDU; 12-20-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        Heckya, man! I'm so giddy, they're definitely big enough to flip. I think I will give them a few days to get settled first. I'm starting to worry that HGK will get honking big in veg before Mangos are ready to chop. And I really want to put the Auto Diesel under the CMH, I've not done an auto under the big light yet.

Regarding defoliating, training, and clone selection.

Those have read "Ghengis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" by Jack Weatherford may know Ghengis was far more than a barbarian. In conquering and ruling an empire that stretched from China to Ukraine, he linked them with the world's first "pony express". Scholars, artists and merchants were transferred from one end to the other in both directions, combining Chinese chemistry with Arabic architecture. Korean paper made literature cheaply portable which helped lead to universally literacy. He embraced and imposed religious tolerance, gender equality (not perfect, or even good by modern standards, but far better than the status quo) , or the idea that being "royal" vs. "common" was not defined by blood. We can thank him for both spaghetti and the black plague.

Here is a more amusing Youtube rendition of Mongol history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcVro-3f4I

So here is my approach to early veg "defoliating" and pruning. It does not mean barbaric hacking and pruning and stripping. It is meant to seek balance in maximizing the growth of buds, not just big leafy plants. This is the time to train the plant's branches and their suckers into the canopy from which an open arrangement of colas can emerge to fill the space under the grow light with fat, sticky buds that have room to breathe. I also selective cut away tiny branchlings that I don't want, and let the plant focus her energy on growing nodes and leaves where I do want them to capture abundant light to power for growth.

Some suckers that would otherwise be pruned might make good clones, they will be left to grow out until immediately before before flowering. I plan on cutting some clones for the upcoming Clone Along, and if any of those make it, will go in solo cups for the upcoming Duel.

I start by taking off bigger fan leaves that are at the base of suckers IF that sucker has mature, fully open, happy leaves. I especially take older leaves that have had evidence of growth problems, like Calcium deficiency blotches once I'm on track of fixing the problem, and newer growth leavesare not still showing the same problem. This particular young plant didn't have any big old leaves, it's still a fairly new clone from JDU . Hey brother, how along ago did you cut these clones? We're meeting SoOrbudgal here in a little bit to deliver her clone and seeds, and hopefully one of my seedlings, if she believes she can help. But there weren't many big leaves to start with.

I also cut off some of the little branches if they are growing out in a direction that will not be conducive to making a fat bud, or will crowd out the colas that will grow fat, especially tiny suckers low down near the stem that will only grow out a little popcorn bud.

Topping and manifolding or quadlining are versions of this. I like to clone the top of the seedling when I do cut it off. These clones are already big and vigourous because they were quite generously cut. The left one is the end of a nice branch with 2 nice branches already growing from it. The one on the left is a topped branch with 6 smaller branches coming from it. They were probably close to 10 inches long when cut with 3 or 4 planted into the yogurt cup of soil. The bigger one was just becoming root bound when I transplanted it. The smaller one was in a 4 inch cup probably 8 inches with 2 inches in the cup, not quite as heavily rooted, I assume she was started a few weeks behind.

Here is the branch end, cleaned up a little bit and trained to spread the branches out. I will let her grow out a bit more before flipping.

Thanks again for the wisdom and the genetics I've received and have the opportunity to share with all you master growers.

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        One of my all time favorite movies is, Mongol the rise of Genghis Khan. In Mongolian with English subtitles.
        I took them on 10-7 They were about 3in tall. I had them together in a 3.5in pot while they made their comeback but I separated them when they started growinh & touching leaves. Maybe 6in tall. I had just trimmed them for the 1st time & cut one down to be my mother & put em in the cottage cheese on 12-9. Then when you said you needed all 3 I topped one for one for me to keep lol.
        Last edited by JDU; 12-21-2019, 06:15 PM.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        Imo have to check that out.

And thanks for the update on when these girls got started. But that's interesting how much difference in root development in the black 4inch square nursery cup from the one of them and n the cottage cheese cups. The branch end clone was a little root bound in the cottage cheese cup while the little nursery cup was just filling up and working down the sides.

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Id've thought the one still in the square would be the one rootbound. They were all in those until the 9th & only she didnt get transplanted.

Well fellas i'm pretty happy with the clone she's being repotted today into her big home 3gal. only do to space with the bloom tent. OGkush baby(im giving her? some extra love today) Dingus i'm wondering is that soil hot for seedling? I'm thinking about repotting? My now 4 auto sprouts will be next up after photos finish 3wks or less. This is really going to challenge me and i'm all in for it. 4 autos in 3gal. cont. , 3 photos in 3 gal. pots.

I have that spare 3x3 tent I've set it up for veg only so that's where there going to hang out till my 12/12 gals are nearly done. Here's the kicker...i'm going to switch light time back to 18/6 in 2wks. I do not think this will affect the bud/plant quality at all....please feel free with opinions-thoughts? Autos will be 2wks from sprout move them into 4x4 around edges of tent, then put them old clones in there after I've harvested the photos. One photo leaves another is placed in it's space. And see if I can pull this off. Happy restful weekend to all DingusKhan Thank you for the defoil tutorial of yours. I go clone crazy at times, i'll be going there again in a few months. Will be more than happy to share with you and JDU again or those others that live in Oregon.

indoor/outdoor grower
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        How did were the roots on the Mango?

Regarding the OGKush seedling-it is in Happy Frog with about 15% each of additional coco and perlite. I rinsed the coco, but didn't flush with Calcium since I was mixing it soil

I was thinking that too, so I flushed it yesterday morning (sorry I forgot to mention) with about a half gallon of pH water, oxygenated with some CalMag 5ml/gal and Great White. She had been under a T5 as well as an LED flood light.

Now that I think about it, I may have been blasting them with too much light, in addition to nutrient burn and Calcium deficiency. Other than the flush yesterday, I've hardly been watering her at all. But it may have been too much since I'm really a hydro guy.

DingusKhan the roots were tightly wrapped around the container but I watered it first then transferred it to it's new home in a 3gal. pot. She needed it bad LOL. No worries about OG and that one needs to be sexed so i'm stick her into a 1gal. today she's going out to the porch tent with Mango. All is good. I will send some pics via my phone message thingy as I want to show you the buds on the 3 flowering in the tent.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that's weird. They were put in the 3inch at the same time & the 2 weren't rootbound when I put them in the cottage cheese containers. Why would they grow so much while the other didn't?

But I'm glad you like them. I can't wait to see some of this strain grown correctly!! Pics please 👍

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll keep you posted on whatever I can manage!

I think the OGKush is feminized.

This reminds me of the movie “ The Parent Trap” from 1961.... The kids get split up as babies.....

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe they'll get together again someday. All grown up, dried n cured when we all meet & share again lol.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG, so funny!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X