Replacing nutrients with vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Replacing nutrients with vermiculite

What are your opinions on replacing the fertilizers completely with vermiculite? One idea is to add 40% vermiculite along with soil mix and perlite and after that top it accordingly. Also how about growing the seedlings completely in vermiculite and perlite mix just till they become young and can be repotted?
    2.5 x 2.5 tent
    Viparspectra PAR600
    4" Fan & Filter
    Coco-Perlite
    GH Trio + Cal Mag

Current Grow:
    1x Cream Cookies
    1x Pineapple Express
    1x Northern Lights
    1x White Widow

Vermiculite does not any fertility, only aeration. It’s possible to fill a pot with only vermiculite/perlite but you’d have feed your plants with a liquid nutrient. It’s hydro grow at that point, kinda like coco.

The cool thing about soil is that, it can hold on to nutrients for your plant to take up later.

Comment

I think the vermiculite could be used as a hydro medium, perhaps, but I don’t think it replaces nutes. I thought it was all about moisture retention and soil aeration.
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

First of all I apologize for my mistake. I don't know if I was high or something but I actually meant vermicompost. How about replacing nutes with vermicompost and follow the procedure they have given to feed?
        Again I am sorry I even wrote vermiculite in my sign instead of vermicompost.! That stuff had a punch.
        Attached Files
        2.5 x 2.5 tent
        Viparspectra PAR600
        4" Fan & Filter
        Coco-Perlite
        GH Trio + Cal Mag

Current Grow:
        1x Cream Cookies
        1x Pineapple Express
        1x Northern Lights
        1x White Widow

Comment

Worm castings(vermicompost) work great. I generally mix coco, petite, vermicompost or compost 1:1:1 then toss in some dry stuff like bone meal. I think the castings are better bc no need to sterilize.

Comment

• herbgrower
            herbgrower commented
            Editing a comment
            I am planning to try coco, vermicompost, perlite and some soil in one of my next plant. Using only vermicompost as plant food.

Through flowering as well?

Comment

• herbgrower
            herbgrower commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I am thinking. Totally organic nutes through out the grow.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X